• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Baytril not working?

If it was me I’d just stick to the Fibreplex but that’s because I have experience of it. BeneBac is just not as widely used in this country.

Stick to what you are already using and do not buy more than you really need.

Bene bac plus (as opposed to normal bene bac) is a relatively new product and has become available in the UK mostly in the last 2-3 years. It is like stopping your own UK produced car for the same model imported from the USA; they do perform pretty much the same.

Managed to get a small amount of poop soup down them today from someone who very conveniently lives a few miles away, however, I can’t see me being able to do this very much so I’m unsure where else to go after as I will have tried everything :(

@Seven7 - I know they said they use benebac, i’m not sure which kind.

It looks like it’s 1g for anything under 10lbs (4536g).
So each girl will get 1g, once, twice in a week.
It says 3 days apart so you could give it say Sunday and Wednesday.
I have included photo for you. They are safe to use and work very well in my opinion.
I bought both the syringe and bottle to see which one works better, and I prefer the syringe BENE-BAC-PLUS. Bottle one is fine, but I saw my boys got better faster after using the syringe BENE-BAC-PLUS. Their poo got harder pretty quickly after only using it a few times.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.webp
    IMG_0171.webp
    31.2 KB · Views: 2
Managed to get a small amount of poop soup down them today from someone who very conveniently lives a few miles away, however, I can’t see me being able to do this very much so I’m unsure where else to go after as I will have tried everything :(

I would just stick to the Fibreplex. It is what you know and you said it is working for them.

Just wanted to give some good news. I met the absolutely lovely Merab’s Slave today and she was kind enough to pop round with her chunky little lady Ruth and provide some fresh poops for my three. Their poops are already solidifying and they’re eating much more hay than before. Fingers crossed we can nip this in the bud. I am infinitely grateful to her and for her kindness.

I am very glad to hear this.
Fingers crossed all is up from here x

Just want to double check asking for another antibiotic is a good idea, they’ve nearly been on Baytril for three weeks, their appetites have really improved and seem more like themselves, but are still very exhausted, snotty, clicking when they breathe and hooting.

I’m just worried as their appetites have returned that’s a sign they’re getting better? But everything else is the same, so I hope you can see why I’m very confused. Has anyone got any insight to this?
I had the same issue, continued with antibiotic now giving Bisolvon (pinch on a bit of pepper once a day) and guinea pig vitamin solution to add to water, snotty/clicking and grouching settling down and i will use probiotics for 5 days once antibiotic is stopped… I hope you see improvement soon :)

I had the same issue, continued with antibiotic now giving Bisolvon (pinch on a bit of pepper once a day) and guinea pig vitamin solution to add to water, snotty/clicking and grouching settling down and i will use probiotics for 5 days once antibiotic is stopped… I hope you see improvement soon :)
Me too! Glad your piggies are going better!

Just wanted to show you all the POWER of poop soup. Before the first clump aswell Bea created what was almost a human cookie of yellow diarrhoea! The poop soup is most definitely helping and thanks to the bisolvon their noses are the clearest yet! Meep doesn’t even click when she breathes anymore! Fingers crossed for their check up on Monday ahhhhhh. I owe everything to the lovely Merab’s Slave she really is my hero, I am indebted to her!

Attachments

• 3D06DEDE-4E7E-4C4E-AA55-F0B66925A3B0.webp
    3D06DEDE-4E7E-4C4E-AA55-F0B66925A3B0.webp
    188.9 KB · Views: 22
  • FE60806E-8E47-42AB-BECB-D4AD204E9109.webp
    FE60806E-8E47-42AB-BECB-D4AD204E9109.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 18
A well formed poop can truly lift the heart 😅
For those with half an hour to spare there has been a prog on the radio recently about the gut microbiome - albeit the human one
BBC Radio 4 - Frontiers, Gut Microbiota
The human version of poop soup is freeze-dried and encased in a strong acid-resistant coating to survive our highly acidic stomachs.
They call it a 'crapsule'....

Oxidised or blood?

Hi guys, gosh I didn’t think things could get any worse, but during syringe feeding one of my three produced this lovely puddle.

I have ruled out it isn’t Bea, being surprising as she has very large bladder stones, as I’m waiting for my other two to pee, I just wanted to run past you guys and ask whether you think this is oxidised wee or wee mixed with blood :( As you can image I’m quite panicked.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    61.5 KB · Views: 16
I believe blood would produce noticeable rings as it dried, rather than a single coloured patch. The red colouring you can see would then be porphyrine rather than blood.

Right okay, forgive me I’m not familiar with what porphyrine is / what it does, would you be able to elaborate for me?
I'm not an expert, but posts by those who are state that it's a natural dye sometimes found in urine. Also that very red porphyria wees can occur at the start of a bout of cystitis. But I don't know if the wee in your photo is bright red enough for that. Maybe @Wiebke can advise - I wouldn't like to say myself.
If it has now gone more brownish, it could just be normal oxidation .

I'm not an expert, but posts by those who are state that it's a natural dye sometimes found in urine. Also that very red porphyria wees can occur at the start of a bout of cystitis. But I don't know if the wee in your photo is bright red enough for that. Maybe @Wiebke can advise - I wouldn't like to say myself.
If it has now gone more brownish, it could just be normal oxidation .
Still red :( Oh dear. Gosh I’m not sure how this can get worse :(

I am sorry to hear this, I have limited knowledge on such, but whether it is blood or porphyrin I would be looking to get her in for a vet visit.
Then you can rule out any infection, as things like urine colour/shade can be affected by diet.

Fingers crossed its nothing serious x

Oxidised or blood?

Hi guys, gosh I didn’t think things could get any worse, but during syringe feeding one of my three produced this lovely puddle.

I have ruled out it isn’t Bea, being surprising as she has very large bladder stones, as I’m waiting for my other two to pee, I just wanted to run past you guys and ask whether you think this is oxidised wee or wee mixed with blood :( As you can image I’m quite panicked.

Hi

To be honest, this is impossible to call just by eye. If you see more reddish pees over the coming days please see a vet. They can test the urine appropriately and also feel the bladder to see whether you are dealing with an infection (either bacterial or sterile) or a stone/sludge issue.
As long as your piggies are eating normally, behave normally and are not losing weight, then there is not need to panic and you can see a vet at your convenience. It gets more urgent once you get squeaky pees several times a day. Urinary infections can take nearly a week before any symptoms become consistent and more easily to diagnose.

Keep in mind that the hot weather can suppress the immune system somewhat so opportunistic illnesses like UTI or sterile IC, respiratory illnesses etc. are not unusual to make a turn up; especially where the bug is already in the system but controlled by a fully working immune system.

Hi

To be honest, this is impossible to call just by eye. If you see more reddish pees over the coming days please see a vet. They can test the urine appropriately and also feel the bladder to see whether you are dealing with an infection (either bacterial or sterile) or a stone/sludge issue.
As long as your piggies are eating normally, behave normally and are not losing weight, then there is not need to panic and you can see a vet at your convenience. It gets more urgent once you get squeaky pees several times a day. Urinary infections can take nearly a week before any symptoms become consistent and more easily to diagnose.

Keep in mind that the hot weather can suppress the immune system somewhat so opportunistic illnesses like UTI or sterile IC, respiratory illnesses etc. are not unusual to make a turn up; especially where the bug is already in the system but controlled by a fully working immune system.
Ahh this worries me, as they already have a compromised immune system being on antibiotics for so long. Gosh this really is just another thing to add to the plate, this really wasn’t on the cards for me I can’t quite believe it :(

Their appetite is completely shot due to the antibiotics wrecking their gut and I’ve been syringe feeding them for almost a month, I really thought I was making some progress with poop soup.

Here’s another picture with more urine, I’m gutted as I was syringe feeding one I didn’t catch which one did it. Though I have a hunch it was Mouse. It looks almost salmony-red

Attachments

• ACD4C516-3F0E-4A66-9142-BAF3262FF3C2.webp
    ACD4C516-3F0E-4A66-9142-BAF3262FF3C2.webp
    80.1 KB · Views: 9
Here’s another picture with more urine, I’m gutted as I was syringe feeding one I didn’t catch which one did it. Though I have a hunch it was Mouse. It looks almost salmony-red

HUGS

If it is a sterile recurring cystitis and not a bacterial UTI, then antibiotics can temporarily suppress the milder forms but they cannot cure it. 'Sterile' refers to no or a very low bacterial count in the urine. Sterile IC is mainly treated with glucosmine (which is classed as a food supplement) and metacam since it seems to specifically affect the natural glucosamine coating of the urinary tract which prevents highly corrosive urine from coming into direct painful contact with raw tissue. The condition cannot be healed, only managed; especially the flares every few weeks. Treatment parallels that of feline sterile cystitis (FSC) - which your vet may be able to relate to. Many vets who do not see loads of piggies have never heard of sterile interstitial cystitis even though it has become a lot more common over the last 15 years with the mass production of pets and the shift to keeping piggies more indoors; most cases of persistent/recurring urinary tract infections that we get contacted over on here turn out to be sterile IC.

The good news is that once you have got on top of the symptoms and know how much to up the dosage to get on top of flare quickly, sterile IC is more in the way of a nuisance than a real illness. It doesn't cause stones and unless you are dealing with the severest forms (which you aren't), it also doesn't shorten the life span. One of mine (the big teddy in my avatar on the left) had it for 3 years, then had another 3 years totally free of any urinary tract issues and died eventually from old age some months after her 8th birthday. She was my first IC piggy but definitely not my last one!

Perhaps it may be worth discussing with your vet if it is a problem that refuses to go away?

Here is a bit more information: Links - Interstitial Cystitis - Guinea Lynx Records

HUGS

If it is a sterile recurring cystitis and not a bacterial UTI, then antibiotics can temporarily suppress the milder forms but they cannot cure it. 'Sterile' refers to no or a very low bacterial count in the urine. Sterile IC is mainly treated with glucosmine (which is classed as a food supplement) and metacam since it seems to specifically affect the natural glucosamine coating of the urinary tract which prevents highly corrosive urine from coming into direct painful contact with raw tissue. The condition cannot be healed, only managed; especially the flares every few weeks. Treatment parallels that of feline sterile cystitis (FSC) - which your vet may be able to relate to. Many vets who do not see loads of piggies have never heard of sterile interstitial cystitis even though it has become a lot more common over the last 15 years with the mass production of pets and the shift to keeping piggies more indoors; most cases of persistent/recurring urinary tract infections that we get contacted over on here turn out to be sterile IC.

The good news is that once you have got on top of the symptoms and know how much to up the dosage to get on top of flare quickly, sterile IC is more in the way of a nuisance than a real illness. It doesn't cause stones and unless you are dealing with the severest forms (which you aren't), it also doesn't shorten the life span. One of mine (the big teddy in my avatar on the left) had it for 3 years, then had another 3 years totally free of any urinary tract issues and died eventually from old age some months after her 8th birthday. She was my first IC piggy but definitely not my last one!

Perhaps it may be worth discussing with your vet if it is a problem that refuses to go away?

Here is a bit more information: Links - Interstitial Cystitis - Guinea Lynx Records
That’s great to know and so informative. I have an appointment with Dr Varga on Monday so I’ll hopefully figure out what going on and who it is by then :) Thank you so much!

Bless them I used to have repeated flare ups of cystitis when I was younger and it’s so very painful, hopefully I can get it sorted soon :( Do you reckon it could have something to do with the antibiotics they’ve been on knocking their immunity?

That’s great to know and so informative. I have an appointment with Dr Varga on Monday so I’ll hopefully figure out what going on and who it is by then :) Thank you so much!

Bless them I used to have repeated flare ups of cystitis when I was younger and it’s so very painful, hopefully I can get it sorted soon :( Do you reckon it could have something to do with the antibiotics they’ve been on knocking their immunity?

Dr Varga should be well aware of sterile IC; she's been around for long enough and has seen plenty of piggies over the last 15 years. Sterile IC is mostly diagnosed by default after any other possible causes have been excluded. ;)

You will have to discuss the antibiotics with her. Some piggies can react much more sensitively to an antibiotic (especially baytril) but an adverse reaction can happen to any of them. The vast majority of piggies tolerates them well.

Been putting off making this post but here goes.

I think it’s unfortunately time I had the dreaded QOL talk with Molly on Monday.

It’s been over a month now of daily syringe feeding and over 3 months of prolonged illness and their lives are 80% of the time having things shoved down their throat, which unfortunately don’t seem to be working anymore. We really have tried absolutely everything, it’s been Baytril, Sulfatrim, Zithromax, Marbocyl, Ronaxan, Bizolvon, Emeprid, Ventipulman Syrup, f10 Nebulising, Fibreplex, Poop Soup, Low Calcium diet and a Diuretic for Bea. They are all currently on 4 or 5 meds.

I know deep in my heart that if I stopped syringe feeding they probably wouldn’t last more than a week as they are just picking at hay having little to no appetite. But just watching them look absolutely exhausted after all their treatment and still not seen any better, it really doesn’t seem like much of a life to me. And now both Meep and Mouse are doing either squeaky wees or their weed looking bright cherryaid red it’s sort of confirmed for me, though I will be double checking with Molly of course, that their immunity is shot and they are just these little vessels so very vulnerable to infection and it just seems cruel to pump them with more antibiotics as they are struggling to do anything and it’s just wrecking their insides.

The very thought of it makes me want to just disappear, you all know how hard I’ve worked and how hard they’ve fought, and part of me feels like I’m just throwing in the towel, but after reading Wiebke’s quality of life thread, it’s become apparent to me that proceeding with anymore medicines or treatment would be benefitting me, wanting to keep them around as long as possible, prolonging their inevitable suffering.

I just feel sick and so tired and let down as despite all my efforts, dedicating all my time from 7am - 12am with three 2 hour breaks, is just so heartbreaking. I just feel like this isn’t supposed to happen, after all the threads I’ve read, all three piggies all so ill, it just doesn’t seem fair and that life really has dealt me a very naff hand at the moment. Meep is only 2 and a 1/2 and that just makes me feel like the worst owner in the world that I may not have been able to provide her the full beautiful life that she deserves.

As they are all remaining alive being syringe fed, they are still pretty active which just makes me so conflicted, but I know inside they are suffering and again, wouldn’t last long if I stopped syringe feeding. But seeing Merab’s Slave’s lovely Ruth and all her other piggies in their set up, it reminded me of a healthy piggie’s demeanour and spritelyness and that’s just not mine at the moment. It’s heartbreaking to admit, but I’d forgotten what a healthy piggy looks like.

I am lucky to be in a position where I have vet insurance and lots of savings saved up from my part time work, but even though I can keep pushing and keep going, even not being able to leave the house for more that 2 hrs at a time, it it beginning to seem cruel. Bea is sitting their taking the most enormous labouring breaths and she won’t even lie on her side anymore while sleeping and just stays in the exact same spot all day unless she’s getting water. I just wanted to get everyone’s opinions and also most importantly, even though I appreciate it may be a touchy subject, ask if any one have has heard of/experienced instances of multiple piggies becoming ill and going to the rainbow bridge all at once?

Thank you all again for all your kindness and advice, I hope it doesn’t seem at all like I’m giving up on my absolutely beloved angels, because I would never EVER do that unless completely necessary.

Last edited:
I feel guilty as I feel like if I had gotten to infection under control sooner they may be okay. Just so many feelings and overall just feeling so disappointed with myself that I may not have been able to save them.

But seeing @Merab's Slave ’s piggies happily tucking in to their veg and forage reminded me that mine haven’t had veg or any treats, let alone grass, since March.

Been putting off making this post but here goes.

I think it’s unfortunately time I had the dreaded QOL talk with Molly on Monday.

It’s been over a month now of daily syringe feeding and over 3 months of prolonged illness and their lives are 80% of the time having things shoved down their throat, which unfortunately don’t seem to be working anymore. We really have tried absolutely everything, it’s been Baytril, Sulfatrim, Zithromax, Marbocyl, Ronaxan, Bizolvon, Emeprid, Ventipulman Syrup, f10 Nebulising, Fibreplex, Poop Soup, Low Calcium diet and a Diuretic for Bea. They are all currently on 4 or 5 meds.

I know deep in my heart that if I stopped syringe feeding they probably wouldn’t last more than a week as they are just picking at hay having little to no appetite. But just watching them look absolutely exhausted after all their treatment and still not seen any better, it really doesn’t seem like much of a life to me. And now both Meep and Mouse are doing either squeaky wees or their weed looking bright cherryaid red it’s sort of confirmed for me, though I will be double checking with Molly of course, that their immunity is shot and they are just these little vessels so very vulnerable to infection and it just seems cruel to pump them with more antibiotics as they are struggling to do anything and it’s just wrecking their insides.

The very thought of it makes me want to just disappear, you all know how hard I’ve worked and how hard they’ve fought, and part of me feels like I’m just throwing in the towel, but after reading Wiebke’s quality of life thread, it’s become apparent to me that proceeding with anymore medicines or treatment would be benefitting me, wanting to keep them around as long as possible, prolonging their inevitable suffering.

I just feel sick and so tired and let down as despite all my efforts, dedicating all my time from 7am - 12am with three 2 hour breaks, is just so heartbreaking. I just feel like this isn’t supposed to happen, after all the threads I’ve read, all three piggies all so ill, it just doesn’t seem fair and that life really has dealt me a very naff hand at the moment. Meep is only 2 and a 1/2 and that just makes me feel like the worst owner in the world that I may not have been able to provide her the full beautiful life that she deserves.

As they are all remaining alive being syringe fed, they are still pretty active which just makes me so conflicted, but I know inside they are suffering and again, wouldn’t last long if I stopped syringe feeding. But seeing Merab’s Slave’s lovely Ruth and all her other piggies in their set up, it reminded me of a healthy piggie’s demeanour and spritelyness and that’s just not mine at the moment. It’s heartbreaking to admit, but I’d forgotten what a healthy piggy looks like.

I am lucky to be in a position where I have vet insurance and lots of savings saved up from my part time work, but even though I can keep pushing and keep going, even not being able to leave the house for more that 2 hrs at a time, it it beginning to seem cruel. Bea is sitting their taking the most enormous labouring breaths and she won’t even lie on her side anymore while sleeping and just stays in the exact same spot all day unless she’s getting water. I just wanted to get everyone’s opinions and also most importantly, even though I appreciate it may be a touchy subject, ask if any one have has heard of/experienced instances of multiple piggies becoming ill and going to the rainbow bridge all at once?

Thank you all again for all your kindness and advice, I hope it doesn’t seem at all like I’m giving up on my absolutely beloved angels, because I would never EVER do that unless completely necessary.

BIG HUGS

You can only ever give so much but you cannot stave off reality forever by sheer power of will. :(

However, that is not a talk we can do with you; we can only give you the guide and criteria by which to ask yourself. You need somebody who can assess the medical side properly and give you a factual basis on which to base any further decisions of yours. Being an owner of pets is a wonderful thing but it can also be the hardest thing when it comes to the end of life and your decision is not taken out of our hands by a sudden death/decline or an emergency.

It is very easy to get stuck supporting an ill piggy when the deterioration is gradual and you just trudge through the day. And it is even harder to face the decision that you may have to be the one who has to make the ultimate call - that is the most painful but also the most loving thing you can ever do.

Be honest with yourself and be honest about your piggies' chance of making a significant recovery/how far you want to take them needing full support. You may still come to the decision that you want to take them further but you will do so on an emotionally stronger basis after the talk, so this assessment should help you either way. If it is time to call it shots, then you usually know that in your gut.

When you politely ask your vet for their honest assessment of the situation and of your piggy's medium to long term prospects, they will usually give it to you. The decision is however always yours. Pet ownership is a wonderful, enriching privilege but one that unfortunately comes with a major sting in its tail. You can dodge it only so often.

My thoughts are with you on this day.

BIG HUGS

You can only ever give so much but you cannot stave off reality forever by sheer power of will. :(

However, that is not a talk we can do with you; we can only give you the guide and criteria by which to ask yourself. You need somebody who can assess the medical side properly and give you a factual basis on which to base any further decisions of yours. Being an owner of pets is a wonderful thing but it can also be the hardest thing when it comes to the end of life and your decision is not taken out of our hands by a sudden death/decline or an emergency.

It is very easy to get stuck supporting an ill piggy when the deterioration is gradual and you just trudge through the day. And it is even harder to face the decision that you may have to be the one who has to make the ultimate call - that is the most painful but also the most loving thing you can ever do.

Be honest with yourself and be honest about your piggies' chance of making a significant recovery/how far you want to take them needing full support. You may still come to the decision that you want to take them further but you will do so on an emotionally stronger basis after the talk, so this assessment should help you either way. If it is time to call it shots, then you usually know that in your gut.

When you politely ask your vet for their honest assessment of the situation and of your piggy's medium to long term prospects, they will usually give it to you. The decision is however always yours. Pet ownership is a wonderful, enriching privilege but one that unfortunately comes with a major sting in its tail. You can dodge it only so often.

My thoughts are with you on this day.

Thank you so much, it means a lot. Going to be spending lots of time making memories this weekend :)

Back