• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird poop

how can I help him with upset tummy? Could it be because of the syringe feeding?

how can I help him with upset tummy? Could it be because of the syringe feeding?

No it’s never the syringe feeding that has caused it.
You can help resolve an upset tummy by removing veg from the diet, syringe feeding, giving a probiotic and/or poop soup from a healthy companion. You need to rebalance the gut bacteria.

Wiebke's Guide to Tummy Trouble
Wiebke's Guide to Poops

However it can sometimes be a secondary issue so the upset tummy is simply a symptom of something else and it’s the something else which needs treating

I have probiotics on the way so in the mean time I give him Rodicare acut.

This only started to happen after death of his companion. Weird poop, laying in the cage sad. Also vet told me he might be just said, but it’s not exotic vet.

This may be because he is grieving- his hay intake dropped so his fibre intake wasn’t as high as it needs to be so his tummy feels bad and his poops go soft as a result.
If his poops still look like the first ones in the picture at the start of the thread, then the disturbance is a mild one

This may be because he is grieving- his hay intake dropped so his fibre intake wasn’t as high as it needs to be so his tummy feels bad and his poops go soft as a result.
If his poops still look like the first ones in the picture at the start of the thread, then the disturbance is a mild one

Yes, they look like that. Only a bit softer, sometimes smelly, sometimes a bit of “thread” on the end

Yes, they look like that. Only a bit softer, sometimes smelly, sometimes a bit of “thread” on the end

Give him plenty of hay, plenty of syringe feed and then hopefully the probiotic will help.
If it doesn’t then he will need to go back to the vet but I appreciate that that may not prove helpful if the vets aren’t knowledgeable

And I guess he seems a lot more active, rumbling around the little piggie and chasing him. When I woke up and came to the cage he looked at me right away. I hope that he would be more alert like that from now on

I just weighted him and it’s 931, yesterday it was 933. He ate a lot of hay during the night and drank water. Also before weighting he had some pellets and hay

That’s good. That means his weight is stable from yesterday so he has eaten a good amount in the past 24 hours

That’s good. That means his weight is stable from yesterday so he has eaten a good amount in the past 24 hours
I know I might be annoying, sorry…

I noticed that the poop isn’t that soft now, it’s harder to poke through. But it’s still kinda smelly when I smell closely. Also he seems to eat them, is it possible he only poops the caecal pellets? They look like normal poop though

I know I might be annoying, sorry…

I noticed that the poop isn’t that soft now, it’s harder to poke through. But it’s still kinda smelly when I smell closely. Also he seems to eat them, is it possible he only poops the caecal pellets? They look like normal poop though

The guide below explains that new research shows that piggies don’t produce caecal poops, they simply eat normal poops for a second run through the gut to extract nutrition.
So eating his poops is very normal.
Wiebke's Guide to Poops

I weighted him today again, we’re back at 933g. So 2g more. Poops looked normal, so I gave him some yellow bell pepper, which was okay. Then after few hours I gave him some romaine lettuce, but after that he had smaller soft poops, also found two clumped together with air bubbles? What do those mean?

I gave him veg since it was 48 hours since eating some veg and his poop looked normal. So now I’ll wait till his poop gets normal and then after 48 hours I’ll try to give him veg? Maybe some parsley?

He is eating a lot of hay and drinks water. I also gave him some herbs which he ate.

I weighted him today again, we’re back at 933g. So 2g more. Poops looked normal, so I gave him some yellow bell pepper, which was okay. Then after few hours I gave him some romaine lettuce, but after that he had smaller soft poops, also found two clumped together with air bubbles? What do those mean?

I gave him veg since it was 48 hours since eating some veg and his poop looked normal. So now I’ll wait till his poop gets normal and then after 48 hours I’ll try to give him veg? Maybe some parsley?

He is eating a lot of hay and drinks water. I also gave him some herbs which he ate.

That’s great news that his weight is holding.

When reintroducing veg you have to do it slowly and gradually. If you overwhelm the system by giving too much too soon then you will just go back to seeing soft poops again.
So, for example, give just one sprig of a herb for a couple of days and see how it goes. Then if all is ok on the third day add in a piece of pepper as well. On the fourth or fifth day, if all is still ok, add in a piece of lettuce and so forth until you’re back to a normal veg diet.
It’s best to start with herbs as they tend to be milder in the digestion.
Parsley is fine but as it’s a high calcium herb it can only be given once a week. Coriander/cilantro is a safer every day choice

Okay, so I’ll try to get some cilantro. Thank you.

But what could the clumped poops with bubbles be?

Okay, so I’ll try to get some cilantro. Thank you.

But what could the clumped poops with bubbles be?

It’s just a sign of digestion/tummy issues
The Wiebke’s guide to poop which I have linked in on previous replies explains digestion/poop issues in more detail

I read it, but I did not see bubbles mentioned. Thank you. I’m really glad for your help. I appreciate it. ❤️

His poop seems normal again, also saw him eat some.

I’ll give him few days off veg, but I have some dried herbs which he eats, is that okay? It contains these dry herbs
  • parsley
  • sunflower
  • dandelion
  • hibiscus
  • cornflower
  • locust
  • immortelle
  • chamomile

Well I really hope so. He also chased Jerry for a bit and played together. Drank water…

I’m still a bit skittish though. Thank you for your help.

Hi! So we’re maintaining weight. Today it was 929g. Also I tried to give him some parsley leaf, the curly kind. The first time was fine but after the second his poops are like this again. :( His stomach doesn’t seem bloated.

Other than that he’s really alert, playful and runs around when out of the cage. Almost always is munching on hay. Fibreplex still haven’t arrived but I hope it’ll come soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3236.webp
    IMG_3236.webp
    159.5 KB · Views: 4
I’m so confused! After few minutes there are perfect poops?!😆

Attachments

• IMG_3238.webp
    IMG_3238.webp
    181.4 KB · Views: 4
We were getting better, I also still give him a bit of curly parsley leaf. Poop seems normal, but not every one. Yesterday he weighted 932 in the morning, but didn’t eat as much hay as he should and rested a bit more. Today we’re at 922.

I also started Fibreplex yesterday.

We were getting better, I also still give him a bit of curly parsley leaf. Poop seems normal, but not every one. Yesterday he weighted 932 in the morning, but didn’t eat as much hay as he should and rested a bit more. Today we’re at 922.

I also started Fibreplex yesterday.

That weight change is within normal fluctuation. You don’t need to worry too much about it.

If the poops are like the picture then there doesn’t look to be anything wrong with them

Dont forget parsley can’t be fed every day due to it containing high calcium levels.

Okay, I’ll keep that in mind. Today I’ll try to give him some carrot and see if it won’t upset his stomach.

Okay, I’ll keep that in mind. Today I’ll try to give him some carrot and see if it won’t upset his stomach.

I wouldn’t do that - carrot is too high in sugar so could upset him if his gut is even still a little bit out of balance. Stick to leafy veg

Okay, so romaine lettuce it is. I’m still on a hunt for cilantro, can’t find it anywhere in my city🥲

after eating a bit of parsley and romaine lettuce he did not poop for 4 hours… then he pooped two times, he ate both of the poops. Gave him fibreplex at 3:30pm… around hour and a half later he was bloated, squeaked when I touched his belly. But after an hour he unbloated, he doesnt squeak anymore and pooped one poop which he ate and 4 normal poops.

I just noticed he’s raising his back when pooping but it doesn’t seem that he is in pain while pooping

Sorry for spamming - but what is this? sperm?

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 7
Back