• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird poop

today we’re 918g, but yesterday he ate more hay and also pooped more and ate hay during the night… I’m not sure if I should step in with syringe feeling again or how do I help him to gain/maintain weight

hello, I recently wrote a thread about my 3 y.o boar Puffy regarding weird poop, not eating and bevearement after losing his companion.

His poop firmed up and he kept his weight, but today I noticed poops on a string/coming out together in a line. The soonest that I can get him to a vet is tommorow morning /not an exotic one/ what can I do for him in a meantime? These are his weight checkings from past days.

18-19.07.24 - during the day - 997g
21.07.24 - during the day - 974g
22.07.24 - in the morning - 951g
23.07.24 - in the morning - 944
24.07.24 - in the morning - 933
25.07.24 - in the morning - 931
26.07.24 - in the morning - 933
27.07.24 - in the morning - 929
28.07.23 - in the morning - 929
29.07.23 - in the morning - 932
30.07.24 - in the morning - 922
31.07.24 - in the morning - 918
01.08.24 - in the morning - 926
02.08.24 - in the morning - 922

I couldn’t edit my message.

Also normal poops are there but not very often, it’s less that normal amount for healthy pig in 24 hours.

He is on fibreplex since monday and today is his last dose.

I have merged your new thread back in with your other thread. We ask that the same issue is always kept to the same thread so all background is together.

His weight seems to be pretty stable now so thats good.

Poops on a string indicate a digestive upset. Please remove veg from the diet and continue with weight checks and syringe feed accordingly.
Let us know how you get on at the vet.

Hi

Your boy is having a bit of a tummy upset. Please remove any fresh veg from the diet until 48 hours after they have firmed up again and then reintroduce them very gradually again a bit more and more variety with every passing meal. Start with a little fresh herbs like coriander/cilantro or parsley. Make sure that he is drinking, especially if it is rather warm where you are.

Wiebke's Guide to Poops
Wiebke's Guide to Tummy Trouble
Weight Loss Explained: BMI, Weighing, Poos and Feeding Support

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Step in with additional feeding support if the weight starts dropping over 50g or your boy is looking off (you can find the further support links via the guides in this post.

All the best for your vet trip.

All the best.

He did not eat veg for these past two days… That’s why I’m concerned. Only hay, water, some pellets and pea flakes.

He seems to be happy when other piggie is around and purrs, sometimes popcorns but not so often. Mostly he just rests, eats for a while rests again…

He gets really angry when I even try to give him fibreplex and it takes up to 20 minutes to give him one dose.

He gets really angry when I even try to give him fibreplex and it takes up to 20 minutes to give him one dose.

Fibreplex is not a favourite. Try to mix it into a little soaked and mushed pellets. You can syringe that but once he has got the hang of the pellets, he may just eat them from a bowl. This trick has often worked for piggies of mine.
When feeding mushed pellets, pleae follow our advice re. cutting off the syringe tip (with pictures) to allow the much rougher pellet fibre to pass through.
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

It can be tricky with a piggy with a sensitive tummy because it takes very little to upset it. :(

It really started two/three weeks back when he lacked appetite after losing his companion… I’m so stressed and tired being in this loop.

He has one dose of fibreplex left and it takes a really long time to arrive:(

It really started two/three weeks back when he lacked appetite after losing his companion… I’m so stressed and tired being in this loop.

He has one dose of fibreplex left and it takes a really long time to arrive:(

You can in the interim just try normal herbivore probiotics. He should like them better. You cn try them mixed in with some mushed pellets and do he mush training. It can come in handy.

he gets really upset when I syringe feed him… only took 3ml and is very upset

starts to scream when I hold his head.. :( I’m really scared

Yes, I even watched some videos on youtube… He is just upset with me…

Have you tried just putting a bowl of mushed pellets in front of him and seeing if he will eat them on his own?

Have you tried just putting a bowl of mushed pellets in front of him and seeing if he will eat them on his own?

Yes, he isn’t interested in that…

I managed to give him another 4ml so 7ml in total…

So I managed to at least get 10ml into him… His poops seem fine and pooped a bit more… For how many days should I syringe feed? How does improvement look like? Much more poops?

Also after feeding ates a bit of hay and the. lays in one place… What to do about it?

So I managed to at least get 10ml into him… His poops seem fine and pooped a bit more… For how many days should I syringe feed? How does improvement look like? Much more poops?

Also after feeding ates a bit of hay and the. lays in one place… What to do about it?

You syringe feed for as long as he is unwell and for as long as his weight checks show that you need to.
Improvement is when he eats enough hay independently and maintains his weight and then he will refuse syringe feeds.

You can’t do anything about it other than making sure he is kept clean if he isn’t moving much and to see a vet.

You syringe feed for as long as he is unwell and for as long as his weight checks show that you need to.
Improvement is when he eats enough hay independently and maintains his weight and then he will refuse syringe feeds.

You can’t do anything about it other than making sure he is kept clean if he isn’t moving much and to see a vet.
Okay, well I hope he gets better soon. I’ll give him last dose of fibreplex in an hour and I’ll ask my vet if he has any probiotics...

Should I try to give him some veg in two-three days? I could get some dill since I can’t get hands on coriander. He doesn’t like basil.

After feeding I got him into a cage and he drank a lot of water, ate hay and some pea flakes... Rumbled happy around his cagemate and now rests laying and eats hay...

Okay, well I hope he gets better soon. I’ll give him last dose of fibreplex in an hour and I’ll ask my vet if he has any probiotics...

Should I try to give him some veg in two-three days? I could get some dill since I can’t get hands on coriander. He doesn’t like basil.

After feeding I got him into a cage and he drank a lot of water, ate hay and some pea flakes... Rumbled happy around his cagemate and now rests laying and eats hay...

You shouldn’t give him veg again until his poops are normal again and then still wait a further 24 hours after. So there is simply no way of knowing whether it’ll be 2-3 days or whether he needs longer off of veg.

Do remember they peaflakea are merely a treat, don’t let him have money - just a couple a week is enough.
Personally while his tummy is upset I wouldn’t give peaflakes

You shouldn’t give him veg again until his poops are normal again and then still wait a further 24 hours after. So there is simply no way of knowing whether it’ll be 2-3 days or whether he needs longer off of veg.

Do remember they peaflakea are merely a treat, don’t let him have money - just a couple a week is enough.
Personally while his tummy is upset I wouldn’t give peaflakes

Thank you for your advice.

I’m just trying not to freak out since the wound of my deceased piggie is still fresh. The worst was going through my head.

I’ll reach out tommorow.

Hi, so we went to the vet and she gave him a shot of anti-inflammatory injection and the second is called Degan for better digestion. He isn’t bloated, the vet touched his belly.

We should watch after him if it’ll do some good and come back on Monday.

Also gave us another bottle of Rodicare acut, 0,25ml - 3x a day.

so far he only had soft poop, very small which he ate. Before going to the vet his poop was normal. After coming home he ate hay for a bit, but not very much. Also his stomach was a bit loud.

First session is still ongoing, so far 10ml and now he’s resting for a bit so I’ll give him another 5ml in a few minutes…

Then in 3-4 hours I’ll give him another 10-15ml

For second session he ate 16ml, only thing I had to do is refill syringe and hold it as he ate by himself🥹 I mixed the recovery mix with pellets and he really liked it a whole lot more. I cried from happiness.

In between sessions he had a whole lot more poops which look rather healthy.

Thank you so much for your advices. I will continue to syringe feed until not needing anymore.

Hi!

Since this evening he’s been a lot more active. Also in the last two sessions, he took 8ml and then only 2ml… Started to refuse syringe… In session before he took 15-20ml. Isn’t it too soon that he doesn’t need it?

I’ll try to give him some tommorow morning again. Also will continue with Rodicare a ut just to be sure.

So this morning I only managed to give him 5ml before he started to I guess spit things out. He isn’t so cooperative anymore but chewed first bites. Yesterday his weight was 932g but that was two hours after syringe feeding and today it was 920g. He seemed a lot more actuve during the night and there were many poops, which look mostly normal but I found two or three tear shaped ones.

So I’m not sure about the syringe feeding, since it was only two days of it. Was it really enough?

It all comes down to his weight checks. It doesn’t matter whether a piggy needs to be syringe fed for two days or two weeks - they will stop wanting feeds when they are feeling better and eating enough hay for themselves.

The way to gauge whether he is now eating enough is to cut a feed out and see whether his weight remains stable the next day. If it does then it means he likely has of an appetite and is eating more hay independently

It all comes down to his weight checks. It doesn’t matter whether a piggy needs to be syringe fed for two days or two weeks - they will stop wanting feeds when they are feeling better and eating enough hay for themselves.

The way to gauge whether he is now eating enough is to cut a feed out and see whether his weight remains stable the next day. If it does then it means he likely has of an appetite and is eating more hay independently

In the morning he was pretty active and ran around, ate hay and drank water…

But now he is laying again in one place. Had soft poop again.

I managed to give him 20ml even when he wasn’t so cooperative until he backed up and refused more. So far 22ml in total today. After feeding he ate hay.

I hope I’m not forcing him into syringe feeding since he isn’t so cooperative and not biting on syringe asking for more. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3328.webp
    IMG_3328.webp
    129.5 KB · Views: 6
Hi, so it’s been almost a week and his poops got better, they look good in shape, dark color but are really squishy and won’t break in perfect two pieces, just get flat. Could it be because of syringe feeding and drinking lots of water? He did not have veg since Thursday morning because it made his stomach upset

Also he gained a bit of a weight, but I’m not sure if it’s healthy gain since I make food for syringe feeding from the recovery formula mixed with pellets.

I feed him 5x a day, 8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm and little before midnight.

monday - 59ml
tuesday - 89 ml
wednesday - 104ml
thursday - 94ml
friday - 69ml
saturday - I tried to see if he could eat for himself but on the sunday morning there were no poops of his in cage
sunday - 108ml

Attachments

• IMG_3400.webp
    IMG_3400.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 3
Back