• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird poop

No, I think that poop testing would be the logical way forward with persistent digestive problems; especially with a rescue piggy from aa bad background since possible meds all don't seem to be able to heal the problem and the persistent loss of appetite is concerning.

I had him for two years now… It really started a week after Puffy’s companion died. I just had an urge to weight him and it’s a good thing I did and noticed all of this… Wouldn’t he be worse with parasites since it’s been a month?

Hi, so I’ve been to our regular vet /not exotic one/ and he’s bloated. So she gave him degan /metoclopramide/ and anti-inflammatory shot. I will continue with syringe feeding, rodicare acut… We’ll come back tommorow for another shot.

Hi, so I’ve been to our regular vet /not exotic one/ and he’s bloated. So she gave him degan /metoclopramide/ and anti-inflammatory shot. I will continue with syringe feeding, rodicare acut… We’ll come back tommorow for another shot.

Metoclopramide stimulates the gut musculature to help with the gut movement and is one of the few safe go-to gut meds.

All the best. Poor boy!

Metoclopramide stimulates the gut musculature to help with the gut movement and is one of the few safe go-to gut meds.

All the best. Poor boy!

Thank you. I want to take him to exotic vet tommorow, but I don’t know if I’ll be able.

Since the shot he is sleepy. I managed to give him only 11ml at 4pm. How often should I syringe feed now? like every 3 hours 10ml? Even at night?

He took 47ml so far today. But like I said, since the shot he is kinda lethargic and won’t poop often, if he does then he eats it. Also refuses to be syringe fed.

Thank you. I want to take him to exotic vet tommorow, but I don’t know if I’ll be able.

Since the shot he is sleepy. I managed to give him only 11ml at 4pm. How often should I syringe feed now? like every 3 hours 10ml? Even at night?

He took 47ml so far today. But like I said, since the shot he is kinda lethargic and won’t poop often, if he does then he eats it. Also refuses to be syringe fed.

If you can, try 10 ml very two hours during the day but make sure that you can 6 hours sleep yourself, ideally unbroken.

If you can, try 10 ml very two hours during the day but make sure that you can 6 hours sleep yourself, ideally unbroken.

Is it okay if I do every three? I am so exhausted. I think I’m gonna be up all night since I have to travel to another city so I won’t be able to feed him during that. And who knows if they’ll take me right away.

I called the clinic today and they told me I should come tommorow since they are already closed and Puffy had shots today. They want to do rtg and properly examine. I just hope I’ll have enough money.

Is it okay if I do every three? I am so exhausted. I think I’m gonna be up all night since I have to travel to another city so I won’t be able to feed him during that. And who knows if they’ll take me right away.

I called the clinic today and they told me I should come tommorow since they are already closed and Puffy had shots today. They want to do rtg and properly examine. I just hope I’ll have enough money.

I am very sorry. Please raise your money concerns. It is such a nightmare. Try to do what you can and try to get some sleep yourself as much as you can. The first rule when caring for another life is to make sure to look after yourself so you can keep going. You are a limited resource.

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry. Please raise your money concerns. It is such a nightmare. Try to do what you can and try to get some sleep yourself as much as you can. The first rule when caring for another life is to make sure to look after yourself so you can keep going. You are a limited resource.

BIG HUGS

I’ll try to rest between sessions. I want this to be over and for him to be better. I have doctors appointments in September when I’ll be gone all day so I need him to be okay until then.

So is theee hours okay? How much ml should I aim for?

I just took him out for a session and he seems more awake, is munching on hay. Sister also told me he ran around the cage with Jerry, so maybe the shot helped him just now. Also just pooped normal poop.

I’ll see how much ml he’ll eat.

Okay, he also pooped one with a mucus string, I called it too soon. But he ate it. 🧐

BIG HUGS

I don’t want to sound selfish or anything. Is it okay if I’ll have his last session today at 11pm, get some sleep and then another session at 6am? Then I would do 9am, 12pm… Train leaves just before 2pm and I’ll get to the vet at around half past three… So far he ate 62ml today… He also ate a lot of hay in between each syringe.

I don’t want to sound selfish or anything. Is it okay if I’ll have his last session today at 11pm, get some sleep and then another session at 6am? Then I would do 9am, 12pm… Train leaves just before 2pm and I’ll get to the vet at around half past three… So far he ate 62ml today… He also ate a lot of hay in between each syringe.

That is absolutely fine - it’s total quantity to keep his weight stable which is important. You need to rest too

That is absolutely fine - it’s total quantity to keep his weight stable which is important. You need to rest too

Thank you. I want to do what’s best for him but I really am already at my limits. I just hope he’ll eat a lot more tommorow, so he would be okay while travelling and being at the vet, since I won’t be able to feed him during that. Then when I’ll come home I’ll feed him right away.

Thank you. I want to do what’s best for him but I really am already at my limits. I just hope he’ll eat a lot more tommorow, so he would be okay while travelling and being at the vet, since I won’t be able to feed him during that. Then when I’ll come home I’ll feed him right away.

There is a reason why we give the feeding quantity in daily totals - it helps you to plan arund our own physical needs and time commitments. We all need our sleep and you need to block out that time and work around it.

There are no given feeding frequences; it is about the way you can best reach the daily amount needed depending how much your piggy will take in each session - eating less in one go means more feeding sessions during the day.

A piggy won't die because you take a night break as long as you get enough volume in over the rest of the day. 60-90 ml in piggies that have most of their appetite.
40-60 ml in piggies in crisis that are fighting the syringe or are so weak that they struggle to swallow and where you can only get 5-10 ml in per session with each millilitre a full-on battle for life or death.

He sometimes tries to run away, but he usually puts the syringe in his mouth when I go around it. So I’ll try to aim for at least 85 ml today.

Also, since I will be travelling a bit far, should I bring a smaller water bottle? But I’m not sure if he’s gonna drink… I have this pet carrier, I hope he’ll be comfortable in it since he will be travelling far.

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
He sometimes tries to run away, but he usually puts the syringe in his mouth when I go around it. So I’ll try to aim for at least 85 ml today.

Also, since I will be travelling a bit far, should I bring a smaller water bottle? But I’m not sure if he’s gonna drink… I have this pet carrier, I hope he’ll be comfortable in it since he will be travelling far.

You can bring a normal human water bottle for the trip and offer him water via syringe with every feed. You can take smaller piggy bottle for wherever you are staying.

You can bring a normal human water bottle for the trip and offer him water via syringe with every feed. You can take smaller piggy bottle for wherever you are staying.

okay, I’ll bring the small guinea pig water bottle and try also to syringe water to him. Of course in small amounts, 0,2-0,3ml

I could try to bring some cc formula with me and make it on the way home but I don’t know if it would work if the water won’t be warm. Or if I would make it before going on a train… But who knows if it’ll spoil…

okay, I’ll bring the small guinea pig water bottle and try also to syringe water to him. Of course in small amounts, 0,2-0,3ml

I could try to bring some cc formula with me and make it on the way home but I don’t know if it would work if the water won’t be warm. Or if I would make it before going on a train… But who knows if it’ll spoil…

The formula works with cold water as well, it may just take a little longer a bit more stirring to become smooth.
It depends on the product; made up emeraid should be used up fresh in one sitting but Critical Care you can make up before you leave; it should last for a few hours on the train; you may need a little extra water to get it to the right consistency each time.

The formula works with cold water as well, it may just take a little longer a bit more stirring to become smooth.
It depends on the product; made up emeraid should be used up fresh in one sitting but Critical Care you can make up before you leave; it should last for a few hours on the train; you may need a little extra water to get it to the right consistency each time.

I have this one: Rodicare Instant | Recovery | Rodents | Shop

And it says: “ Store the mixture in a cool place and use it within 12 hours. Make sure to warm up the mixture before reusing it.”

So I should probably make it fresh on a way home? It’s gonna be 29C tommorow so it won’t be exactly in a cool place all the time…

I have this one: Rodicare Instant | Recovery | Rodents | Shop

And it says: “ Store the mixture in a cool place and use it within 12 hours. Make sure to warm up the mixture before reusing it.”

So I should probably make it fresh on a way home? It’s gonna be 29C tommorow so it won’t be exactly in a cool place all the time…

Yes, I would recommend that you make it up again fresh for your journey home.

The warming up advice doesn't refer to the water temperature when making it up but to the fact that it should not be fed at fridge temperature.

Hi, so I fed him at 6am, 10am and he ate so far around 52ml. So hopefully it’s enough for now. I decided to take earlier train. I’ll keep you updated when I’ll have any info or after I’ll come home. Thank you all.

Hi, so I fed him at 6am, 10am and he ate so far around 52ml. So hopefully it’s enough for now. I decided to take earlier train. I’ll keep you updated when I’ll have any info or after I’ll come home. Thank you all.

That is enough to hold him for quite a few hours, so please do not worry about him. He will be full and sleepy for the journey and the next hours. :tu:

All the best for today.

Hi, so the doctor did rtg, one of his side and one of his tummy. He did not find anything though /except for a little calcified something near his butt/ he is still just a little bloated, but it’s not that bad. He gave him four injections, I’ll attach a photo. He pooped right away after the shots. Tommorow I should call and tell him how he is.

So I should continue syringe feeding him, and only hay and water. Also he gave me 2 packets of bio lapis, how should I give it to him? I doubt he’ll drink 50ml today, so I don’t want it to go to waste.

He was so upset, did not want me to touch him. But I bough him some hay with yellow flowers, he’s now munching on it. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3519.webp
    IMG_3519.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3520.webp
    IMG_3520.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi, so the doctor did rtg, one of his side and one of his tummy. He did not find anything though /except for a little calcified something near his butt/ he is still just a little bloated, but it’s not that bad. He gave him four injections, I’ll attach a photo. He pooped right away after the shots. Tommorow I should call and tell him how he is.

So I should continue syringe feeding him, and only hay and water. Also he gave me 2 packets of bio lapis, how should I give it to him? I doubt he’ll drink 50ml today, so I don’t want it to go to waste.

He was so upset, did not want me to touch him. But I bough him some hay with yellow flowers, he’s now munching on it. :)

You can give the Bio Lapsis (probiotic powder) mixed into his syringe feed since he isn't eating any veg where you can sprinkle it over. I would not put it into his water bottle since the water intake is not something you can control. You can however give it mixed with any water if you are syringing water.

From what I can see he has had an injection of metoclopramide gut stimulant and baytril/enrofloxacin (antibiotic).
Quamatel is basically suppressing the acidity in the digestive tract and duphalyte is a mix of vitamins and fluid metabolites to help with the absorption of nutrients and prevent malnutrition. I had to google the latter two.

You can always ask your vet what the various injections are for. Any vet will tell you if you ask politely. ;)

I wish you a successful day and a good journey home.

All the best with him recovering. Could the little calcium bit near the bum be very small stone or crystal in the urethra?

Hi, so Puffy finally pooped a lot during the night, but the poops are changing - yesterday they were thick, grainy, light colored and firm, today they are thinner, darker and softer.

I did mix the probiotics in his syringe feed, thank you.

His weight is highter now, today, too. Is it a good thing? Isn’t it weird that it’s going so high quickly? On Thursday it was 953, yesterday 983 and today 1001?😱also yesterday he ate 96ml.

Doctor did not seem bothered by the small white dots, there were multiple. I saw the rtg myself, since I asissted him and had to hold Puffy down.

Also he saw how Puffy poops, lifting his butt and he told me he might be straining to poop so there is definitely a problem with gut movement.

Hi, so Puffy finally pooped a lot during the night, but the poops are changing - yesterday they were thick, grainy, light colored and firm, today they are thinner, darker and softer.

I did mix the probiotics in his syringe feed, thank you.

His weight is highter now, today, too. Is it a good thing? Isn’t it weird that it’s going so high quickly? On Thursday it was 953, yesterday 983 and today 1001?😱also yesterday he ate 96ml.

Doctor did not seem bothered by the small white dots, there were multiple. I saw the rtg myself, since I asissted him and had to hold Puffy down.

Also he saw how Puffy poops, lifting his butt and he told me he might be straining to poop so there is definitely a problem with gut movement.

Hi

Please check his belly for a potential bloating flare up again.

The poo quality is likely reflecting the influence of his new medication.

There is a bit of a pain issue somewhere; whether that is in the gut or impacting on the exit from outside the gut. It is however in minor range - no squeaking when pooing and no severe straining and arching.

I called the vet and we should get seven more days of medication, so we went to the vet and got another three shots - degan, quamatel and the antibiotics.

He is so upset with me, even starts to run away from me. He only ate 20ml so far. :( I don’t know what else I can do.

poops look kinda dry, but they aren’t hard. Also he started to make sounds when pooping :( what can I do in the meantime till I go to the vet tommorow?

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
Back