Three guinea pigs have been dumped near me

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
OH read out a message on Neighbour website calling for help to catch 3 guinea pigs that have been dumped in wasteland under the A30 viaduct. We have been down here since. There is definitely at least three, we’ve seen three young piggies. Maria’s animal shelter will take them if we can catch them, the terrain is old tin mine workings full of brambles and gorse. They are in a huge thicket in a valley that runs for about 1 mile. We have set two humane rat traps with hay and veggies. No luck so far, but we are going to check twice a day. There are a few local people keeping an eye out on the traps 🤞
Going to try and get some photos, they are quite friendly and you can almost touch them, then prey reflex gets the better of them

Will try and give regular update, this is the terrain 😕 it’s a vast area, the piggies all look very healthy, I think they have been there for some time, lots of little tunnels everywhere
1661190502085.jpeg

Poor things, how can people be so cruel! I hope you are able to catch them all soon 💕

I really hope you manage to catch them. Some people are just so horrible. 😢

Fingers crossed you catch them soon. They’re lucky to have you on their side.

Some people can be cruel.

PS please ignore the initial laugh reaction, that was an error.

Good luck trying to catch these poor babies. I hope they are found safe and find wonderful new homes.

I'm going to keep my initial comment to myself. If I lived closer I'd pop along and give you a hand. Good luck!

Poor little things, I hope by morning they're safely in the traps! A friend of mine went to try to catch some dumped piggies a couple weeks back, sadly by the time she got there only 1 was left, a fox had got the rest. Heartbreaking that people can do this to them, they're so vulnerable left to fend for themselves.

That’s the trouble, there’s lots of dog walkers too with dogs not on leads. They seem very happy and there’s plenty forage and even a little steam but I’m sure they will get predated if they are not caught
Will update tomorrow 🤞

Having caught a wild piggy my self... Pellets or veggies and a fishing net with long handle. you have to be careful with the metal rim to not hurt them but this will allow you to push down and vegetation and trap them. use bait to distract them. you'll want to slowly move the net high above and come down behind them in and arch. try and get it touching the ground behind them before bringing the handle down to trap them. ultimately you'll want to be hyper focused on the guinea pigs eyes. they'll look at you and eat. it should distract them from the net. the second you see them look like they might wanna turn and run, snap that net down as fast as you can. its amazing how fast those potatoes can turn 180 and run. they should run right into your netting. bing bang bosh. piggy in the net. put it in a box. best of luck!

Thank you for the tip, I will try with a net if the traps fail. The piggies tend to be amongst lots of brambles most of the time which makes things very difficult 😣

I looked at my piggies when i read this post and saw them happily munching their food then wondered how a human being could be so callous as to throw them out like rubbish ..... I hope karma comes round and bites them one day soon.
I hope so much that you are able to rescue them and send my best wishes to all of you that are trying so hard for the little souls. Keep us posted

as much as we all know people do this... I always try and consider the fact MAYBE they just escaped.... and went on a huge journey. cause guinea pigs are known for their great migrations....... i know its a stretch.... but who knows. was in a box in a car that stopped. and got out some how. they were probably dumped. but who knows... they DO love to escape the clever buggers. even if it really isn't for their own benefit. say that to a wild piggy eating grass living in a bush not caring....
but it does no good to think of the negative. simply the positive that they'll be rescued soon. being angry some random person you'll never find dumping the animals in the wild will just make you upset and angry. this will burn your energy out faster. If you think of it like they were just being dumb potatoes and you'll helping them just not get eaten in the wild you'll find your efforts will go further. humans are an animal of perception more then anything else.

Thank you for the tip, I will try with a net if the traps fail. The piggies tend to be amongst lots of brambles most of the time which makes things very difficult 😣
Yeah its what the bait is for.. get them JUUUUST far away from the bush. literally a few inches. just enough to get the rim of the net between them and the bush... if you actually get the tip of the net touching the grass, snap that thing down you have them...... Also practice a couple of times. if you record your self you'll see human instinct will make you LIFT the next before bring it down... Dont do that. you'll miss. to give NO signal.. open your hand and let go of the net and push it down.

Yeah its what the bait is for.. get them JUUUUST far away from the bush. literally a few inches. just enough to get the rim of the net between them and the bush... if you actually get the tip of the net touching the grass, snap that thing down you have them...... Also practice a couple of times. if you record your self you'll see human instinct will make you LIFT the next before bring it down... Dont do that. you'll miss. to give NO signal.. open your hand and let go of the net and push it down.
Unfortunately it’s not level land, it’s brambles and gorse growing in front of huge granite boulders so trapping is our best option 😊

been down all morning to check the traps, both empty. Moved one of the traps to a place where they move through and graze. We have seen all two of the three this morning. The traps have some tasty veggies renewed, going back later to check the traps
There’s a Ginger and White one and an4046541C-5D61-4B21-AEA9-923D81895DDA.jpeg

all Ginger one with rosettes
The first photo is the all Ginger, can you spot the piggie!
71812DFE-F8A5-4932-8144-948350579B56.jpeg

Gosh the really are in an awkward place aren’t they! Poor things!

Gosh the really are in an awkward place aren’t they! Poor things!
Yes, it’s really difficult. There’s huge boulders 8 ft in by 4 ft high, some uncapped ancient mine shafts too. On the other side of the path is shrub and Heather which would be so much easier, you just can’t get in with a net for all the bramble and gorse, one plus is neither can most dogs

We are scratched to death already 🤨

Last edited:
Hopefully you can catch them soon. Poor piggies.

Yes, it’s really difficult. There’s huge boulders 8 ft in by 4 ft high, some uncapped ancient mine shafts too. On the other side of the path is shrub and Heather which would be so much easier, you just can’t get in with a net for all the bramble and gorse, one plus is neither can most dogs

We are scratched to death already 🤨
sounds like you need some work gloves and a rake. clear out some of that mess till they got fewer places to run... more importantly have a nice open area to try and lure them into. On the plus side if they were easy to get at they probably wouldnt of lasted very long in the wild lol. if its protecting them from you. that's pretty good protection. maybe you could get a big log and put it behind them in the bramble.. slowly roll it forward giving him little places to go but forward towards you where you wait with a net. the one in the grass you can get if you can get close enough with a net. the metal rim if thick enough will push that all down. the main point is getting that tip down behind it cause they'll run into the net.

Best of luck!

sounds like you need some work gloves and a rake. clear out some of that mess till they got fewer places to run... more importantly have a nice open area to try and lure them into. On the plus side if they were easy to get at they probably wouldnt of lasted very long in the wild lol. if its protecting them from you. that's pretty good protection. maybe you could get a big log and put it behind them in the bramble.. slowly roll it forward giving him little places to go but forward towards you where you wait with a net. the one in the grass you can get if you can get close enough with a net. the metal rim if thick enough will push that all down. the main point is getting that tip down behind it cause they'll run into the net.

Best of luck!
The area is a valley totalling about at least 1 square mile long by 1/2 wide. The actual undergrowth and tree coverage is protecting them. There is a cycle pathway which runs down the valley floor. If they are disturbed too much they move further into the undergrowth and loose our trust so we are just being patient for now and it has paid off. We have managed to trap one young male. :yahoo:It’s the mainly Ginger one which has ruffles 😊 Two more to go which have been feeding around the traps for most of the day. The traps have red pepper, cucumber and coriander so they are being tempted.

Ruffles (shouldn’t name him) as he will go off to the rescue is very scared so won’t bother him for now. He looks very healthy and very well fed. Nice coat no ringworm or any injuries. So all good, just hope he isn’t missing his mates too much 🤔

Apparently the woman who owned them has moved abroad 🤬

Back