Stone me! George's secret...

Thinking of George and you. I hope you can enjoy however many happy todays you have.

Sending you and George hugs. You’ve given him many happy days.

Gentle George passed at 8 on Sunday morning. I didn't think I had any more tears in me but I could cry for ever.
Despite the Emeprid and syringe food his gut slowed more and more until by Friday he seemed unable to chew properly and didn't want to eat. He had a little go at some favourite cabbage but the pieces fell from his mouth. He ignored the grass and seemed to be having bouts of discomfort - perhaps cramping guts, I don't know. He was better in the afternoon. Friday evening he groaned a little but settled with his metacam, gabapentin and heatpad. Saturday the pain seemed to have stopped but I think so had his gut. He just stayed in his snuggle tunnel all day getting weaker. He could still drink from his little syringe, and was still keen for metacam. Saturday morning I pounded grass from the pile in a little water so he got a flavour of grass-time at least, and he drank 5 or 6 ml. Saturday evening I soaked pellets at pellet time to give him 5 ml of the flavoured water to drink. It seems he could drink for longer than he could eat. He pressed his mouth to the mushed pellet on my fingers but couldn't do anything more then taste it. I thought he might pass on Saturday night. I prayed it would be peaceful and without pain - that was my big fear for him. I even prepared little hideys dotted about as when my girls have died at home their instinct has been to crawl away from everyone at the end and I didn't want him to be lying out in the open.

It was very quiet downstairs this morning and the girls were hiding away. I could see George's feet in the tunnel and rested a hand on him very gently - he was on his side but still warm and breathing. He did a few quiet squeaks. I made a tea, got the girls their veggie breakfast and got George's tray set up - when he heard me sitting next to the cage he tried to squeak again which surprised me. But it felt very much like George was waiting - perhaps because he's been handled so much over the years for his various ailments. So I lifted him very gently onto his beloved snuggle sack and rested his paws on my hands. I wet my fingers to rub on his dry lips as he was beyond drinking now. Then I rubbed on a little metacam as he loves the taste. Then as I was talking to him very gently he started to twitch, and within about 5 minutes he had died. I think he didn't want to be on his own at the end. He had such trust. It's terribly hard, he was the sweetest boy. His fur still looked so shiny and his little black feet in good condition. That's what breaks you - he didn't look like an elderly pig. It was just that he had something wrong with him 😔

I suppose if he'd pulled through this time the UTI would have returned, or stones could have started to form in his kidneys or tiny tubes (if they hadn't already) so he could have ended up in a desperate mess. He got to die at home (although I was torn for the last few days as to what was best for him). Overall he had a long and happy life I think, and he did pretty well for lady friends and scoffed a lot of vegetation. He lived long enough to see the spring, which is what I'd hoped for him. My damp shady garden has sweet violets, ivy-leaved toadflax and new leaves on raspberry and wild strawberry which all delighted my George. There's one cheeky dandelion just outside the back door. On Thursday - his last good day - hubs sent me a message at work. He was cleaning the pigs and had piled the smelly fleeces by the open door. George loves to stink it up, and had made his way to the pile and was relaxing on it, enjoying the sun and viewing the garden. I buried him today with some of my other pigs under the wild strawberries. It's been such a hard weekend it'll take a while to get over it. I'm getting too old for all this myself. I love my George with all my heart. I first read on here that grief is love with nowhere to go. It's very true. I hope he's happy.

Goodnight my George x
Bag of George.webp

I'm so sorry he had to leave you. You gave George such a wonderful life right until the end.
Run free sweet boy. Xx

I'm sorry that George has made his way to the Rainbow Bridge. He died at home surrounded by love. Popcorn free lovely boy.

Oh I’m so sorry George has passed. I have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. He was a wonderful piggy. Popcorn high over the bridge. Take care ❤️

So very sorry for your loss of sweet George. Your love for him was so unwavering and he obviously felt the same way about you 🌈

I’m so sorry that George has joined the ever growing herd at the Rainbow Bridge. He died at home surrounded by those he loved and who loved him, too. I know he leaves a huge George shaped hole behind in your heart. Huge hugs.

I am so sorry you’ve lost sweet George, he was a little fighter to the end. Take heart you gave him the best of lives and you could not have done more. Your were so dedicated and he will have known just how much you cared :hug:

Sleep tight little man 🌈

I am so very sad to read this news and truly sorry for your loss. Sending big hugs. You gave George the very best life and he passed surrounded by love. ❤️

Popcorn free across the rainbow bridge handsome boy. 🌈❤️

I’m so sorry for your loss. But I can’t imagine a more committed and caring slave for him to have than you. The bond you shared was truly special and he knew it. Take care x

So sorry to hear about George.
George had such a wonderful loving home with you.
Sending you massive hugs.
Popcorn free little George at the rainbow 🌈bridge.xx

So very sorry that you have lost George.
He was a lovely piggy and lived a wonderful life with you.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

I’m so sorry George has travelled to RB - you did everything you could for him and he was living his best life with you all until just recently. You couldn’t have done more
The tears are because when we love the loss is harder to bear 💔
Take care

I'm so sorry to read that you have lost gentle George. He couldn't have had better care especially after his stone problems started. If love were enough he would have lived forever. Sending you hugs :hug::hug: :hug:

Popcorn free, gorgeous George 🌈

This is a photo of when George first met Louise. He was smitten from the first. Louise was tired and wanted to rest; gentleman George let her go in the only tunnel in the pen and stayed on guard outside. What made us chuckle was that as long-haired Louise dozed she spread out in a pool of fur and you can see George trying to mimic her by puffing up and spreading out himself 💕
George and louise.webp
George was 6 when he passed. Although I cried buckets one thing I held onto was that he went before his lady-love as I doubt he would have ever gotten over losing her. Louise still had Flora for companionship. I'm broken hearted to say that not even a week later 5 year old Louise followed him over the bridge. Her ongoing up and down gut issues were brought to a head last weekend when he left and despite our best efforts she could not stay. It's been a real shock for us although for her it was peaceful at the end. I suspect she had something quite serious brewing internally and it was perhaps a blessing that she went when she did. She's tucked in with him (and her 'other half' feisty Zara) in the back garden. I hope in the next life they all get on together x

I’m so sorry to hear this, he was a little trooper. Where there is pain, there is immense love. Look after yourself xx

I’m sorry to hear this but clearly George was calling for her (Louise) back together at RB 🥰

I’m so sorry to hear this. She just couldn’t live without him. They are together forever once again over the bridge. Take care. ❤️

Back