Red Lored Adventures

Not sure if this needs a thread, but Shadow is the stinkiest boar I've had! My dad had one named Sweetie that was just as stinky too. I'm not saying that he is bad a grooming or is that musky, boar smell it's something else. I'm not sure if it is gas or an occasional poo, but oh my word, it feels like my eyebrows are burning off! It kinda reminds me of the smell of dog's gas or teen boys after they have eaten a ton of bean burritos. :vom: Hopefully you get my drift. Not sure if it is just him as Cocoa didn't smell like this and neither did the two foster boys.

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. I only have the occasional day when one of mine is eau de boar and that's bad enough.

Yes, he is an indoor only piggy. I wonder if he just has a sensitive tummy?

Billy was good at Eau de boar. Hamish you know if he’s smelly he needs his bottom checking. Hope everything’s ok.

I have been rather busy with the whole family passing strep throat and flu around the past two weeks. We seem to be almost done with all the germs, fingers crossed. I didn't post earlier, but Athena has been diagnosed with uterine cancer. The vet doesn't feel comfortable spaying her and the rescue isn't keen on it either. She has been placed on meloxicam daily per the vet. The vet said that it can help keep the tumor from growing fast. I feel sad that surgery isn't an option, but I know the rescue is struggling financially too. They have a couple hundred animals in various foster homes and they have to take care of all of them.

An acquaintance of mine tried to give me his child's guinea pigs last year since they are boring. I did tell him I was not interested at the time since I have my own two piggies and then two foster piggies. I cannot take anymore in. I did hear him tell someone that he would just release them outside in the spring if he couldn't rehome them. Well I just saw he listed the two pigs listed as free on a neighborhood website. Nobody has said they want them yet so I'm a bit nervous. I'm going to reach out the rescue and see if they will take them.

I have been rather busy with the whole family passing strep throat and flu around the past two weeks. We seem to be almost done with all the germs, fingers crossed. I didn't post earlier, but Athena has been diagnosed with uterine cancer. The vet doesn't feel comfortable spaying her and the rescue isn't keen on it either. She has been placed on meloxicam daily per the vet. The vet said that it can help keep the tumor from growing fast. I feel sad that surgery isn't an option, but I know the rescue is struggling financially too. They have a couple hundred animals in various foster homes and they have to take care of all of them.

An acquaintance of mine tried to give me his child's guinea pigs last year since they are boring. I did tell him I was not interested at the time since I have my own two piggies and then two foster piggies. I cannot take anymore in. I did hear him tell someone that he would just release them outside in the spring if he couldn't rehome them. Well I just saw he listed the two pigs listed as free on a neighborhood website. Nobody has said they want them yet so I'm a bit nervous. I'm going to reach out the rescue and see if they will take them.

HUGS
I am so sorry for the strep throat and the bad news about Athena.
You may find this guide here helpful, which also contains a chapter on looking after terminally piggies. It doesn't make for easy reading but it can really help you with your decision when to all it shots with a clearer mind if not with a less aching heart. And how to make the best and most of any limited time - it's not just all sad.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

All the best for those two poor piggies. Sadly it is such a common story; especially at this time of year. :(

I hope those 2 poor unwanted piggies do finally get a good home. I personally think it is very cruel to turn any pet out to fend for themselves as its never a good outcome for them. I wish they could fly over to me

I'm hoping that someone will adopt them from him Guinea pigs normally get adopted pretty quickly.

HUGS
I am so sorry for the strep throat and the bad news about Athena.
You may find this guide here helpful, which also contains a chapter on looking after terminally piggies. It doesn't make for easy reading but it can really help you with your decision when to all it shots with a clearer mind if not with a less aching heart. And how to make the best and most of any limited time - it's not just all sad.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

All the best for those two poor piggies. Sadly it is such a common story; especially at this time of year. :(
Thank you! I had a guinea pig a few years ago with uterine cancer. It completely shut me down from having guinea pigs till I found the rescue here that spays and neuters their mammals. It is sad to be dealing with this again. I'm letting her enjoy life as much as she would like. She's a very picky eater so she doesn't like snacks much except carrots. I've been giving her a bit twice a week.

The vet said if she starts having major bleeding again to let her know. She said there is a herb from Asia that helps with the bleeding. I have no idea what it is and the vet couldn't pronounce it either. She has been having some little bleeding but nothing like it was.

Brownie seems to be well, but spends lots of time snuggling with Athena. So part of me thinks that she may be gone soon, but then again she may put up a fight.

I hope those 2 poor unwanted piggies do finally get a good home. I personally think it is very cruel to turn any pet out to fend for themselves as its never a good outcome for them. I wish they could fly over to me

I have adopted several dumped piggies over the years - they were among the lucky few. Most sadly die from exposure and predation. :(

In 2022 I fulfilled my last piggy bucket dream and adopted a whole family halfway across the country that were caught by forum member living rough in some dog walking wasteland under a road viaduct; a mother with her son and daughter - both sows pregnant, which meant that I ended up with an extra baby sow and three baby boars - two babies each. There is definitely a rather limited gene pool going on that is going further back but my three original piggies who are still together (dad is of course neutered) have now taken to sleeping out in the open.

1709068482731.webp

All the best. People can be just so cruel - dumping piggies is the most cowardly way of killing them.

I'm hoping that someone will adopt them from him Guinea pigs normally get adopted pretty quickly.

Thank you! I had a guinea pig a few years ago with uterine cancer. It completely shut me down from having guinea pigs till I found the rescue here that spays and neuters their mammals. It is sad to be dealing with this again. I'm letting her enjoy life as much as she would like. She's a very picky eater so she doesn't like snacks much except carrots. I've been giving her a bit twice a week.

The vet said if she starts having major bleeding again to let her know. She said there is a herb from Asia that helps with the bleeding. I have no idea what it is and the vet couldn't pronounce it either. She has been having some little bleeding but nothing like it was.

Brownie seems to be well, but spends lots of time snuggling with Athena. So part of me thinks that she may be gone soon, but then again she may put up a fight.

Just concentrate on making every day count and plan a little enrichment or treat activity. ;)
If you want some ideas - enrichment is so much more than store toys or fancy foods: Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

So sorry about Athena’s diagnosis.
You will have started grieving for her so be gentle with yourself.
Make every day a happy day for her, take lots of pictures and make good memories.

Hope you are all fully recovered from your various bugs now

Poor Athena has had some major bleeding today. I can't reach the vet as their office is closed for the weekend and I haven't had luck with reaching the rescue either. To be honest it looks like something is prolapsing out of her. She has been rather uncomfortable so I gave her her metacam early. She has been only having it once a day to help slow the growth of the cancer, but it looks like it only kept it at bay for a month. I plan on giving it to her twice a day as she is really uncomfortable.

When I reach the rescue, I plan on asking them to have her put to sleep. The prolapse is not good and I feel like she should go before things get much worse. She still wants to eat and drink, but she doesn't have the same zip and sparkle that she used to have. I do feel good about this decision as I feel like this is the best for her.

It definitely sounds like you are making the right decision for Athena. I’m sorry. ❤️

I had a rough night with my youngest child and we both were up at 2:45am. I got a nap for about a half hour, but I still feel like a steam roller ran over me. I checked on Athena and there is little puddles of blood all over the cage. She ate her breakfast and took her metacam happily. Now I just have to wait to hear back from the rescue.

Thank you everyone for your support!

Back