• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

please read I'm worried

• Thread starter Thread starter maisynpoppy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you all, i dont think its thats serious, it will hopefully be something which can be cleared up easily :) the vet just had me in panic mode, especially as nothing made sense and her wanting to do a skin scrape ::)

special thanks to Karen who must be getting fed up with all the problems ive been giving her recently ;D

thanks Bon :) i think I'm going to leave it till monday and see how she goes (obviously if she gets worse il take her asap) O0

Darling little Maisie we're so sorry to hear about your eye being sore :'( :'(
Lots and lots of piggie kisses from Duke :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* and gentle hugs from me :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Kelly i've read thru it all now ..... i reckon Karen's given you the best advice O0
Good luck, i'll be keeping an eye on this, could you pm me as well and let me know too? ta love :-*

thanks Glynis :smitten: :smitten: and yup i will still be annoying you through pm ;D

we dont think theres a problem with the eye, just the skin above it O0

alot better i went asda last night and found some of things creams which mary suggested and Louise (summerleeze) has sent me a bottle of lavender stuff from GG O0 :)
and I'm happy to report Maisys eye is open wider today, not fully open but nearly there :) O0

Oh that's brilliant, I was so worried about you both last night :)

Bless her, no doubt within a couple of days of using the cream she will be back to normal.

Great news. :smitten: :smitten:

Bloomin vets scaring you like that >:( Sometimes I wonder about some of them ::)
Main thing is, you stood your ground and Maisy is ok. Keep us posted hunny :-*

I have only just read all this, blinkin heck you have been through it! I think you have been given the best advice by mary and karen when I walked into the vets the other day with Digby the first thing the vet said to me was 'my he has a swollen eye' I thought to myself your picking the wrong person here he has fatty eye I told him as if he didnt already know I could see the pound signs in his eyes ::) ::) I am always nervous about standing up to the vet about stuff but they are my animals, I find this forum and the people on it fantastic for support and advice so I always go with that in my mind.

I am glad to hear she is getting better and the eye is opening up, fingers crossed by Monday all will be well again O0 O0 O0

Kelly that's great that Maisy's eye has opened a bit more O0
That cream must be doing wonders O0
More healing wheeks from Dukey and lots of gentle loves from me for Maisy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

shes still improving with the creams, lotions and potions she has! ;D it hasnt spread or got any worse so hopefulyl we've caught it in time :) thanks Louise (summerleeze) the parcel came today, i havent opened it yet I'm at work till 7pm :( but I'm sure it will be a great help as mary and Karen both recommended it and hopefully it will tie me over untill GG are back :)

thanks everybody for your continious support and advice :)

So glad she's improving MNP it must be such a relief!
The stress that vet could have caused her doesn't bear thinking about!
x

i know, I'm so glad i didnt let her get a skin scrape :) I'm glad i was able to post on the forum before the vets the next morning otherwise i dont think i would have realised and i would of let her get it done probably :( but atleast i know now, and i did have some doubts thats why i thought id check with all of you :)

its strange because how many people would just go along with the vets? as you have so much trust in them and they use words i dont understand ;D :-\

It's good that we have this forum Kelly. I was the same when the vet wanted to check Flora for lice, I know she has had them but I wasn't sure of the cream, she went from saying 'it works on pigs' to say 'we don't know if it is safe!' There is no way on hell I would put the pigguns through something I'm unsure of. I always check here now before I even give anything to them. I don't trust anywhere else.

I don't think my vets are that good with pigs. :(

mine arent either, I'm changing :) i think its a north west thing, must be hard to find a decent vet

Yeah think I will 'shop around' too! One even said to me we don't know a lot about guinea pigs! They doesn't fill me with confidence! After Christmas I'll be finding somewhere else.

Hi,
If the vet admitted that he/she does not know about piggies,that is good.A lot of vets are too arrogant to admit this.My vet Anne admitted the same when I first met her,now she is a gp expert with clients from all over the country.
It might be worth persuing this vet ,you may be able to train her/him up.

I guess that is one way of looking at it Mary. Perhaps when I do have an emergency (it will happen one day) then I can arm myself with info and see what they say.

They all seem really nice at the vets, they even have a cat called Bob! Emma has a good vet but she is in North Liverpool while I'm in the South and my vet is very local. :)

yeah id rather my vet be honest and say she doesnt know than pretend she does, wich could have ended up with a skin scrape! I'm not clever enough to help my vet though, when i told her I'm 99% sure its ringworm she just made out i was a fool :-\

maryh said:
Hi,
If the vet admitted that he/she does not know about piggies,that is good.A lot of vets are too arrogant to admit this.My vet Anne admitted the same when I first met her,now she is a gp expert with clients from all over the country.
It might be worth persuing this vet ,you may be able to train her/him up.
I was thinking the same thing, it's good they were honest with you S&T, I'd stick with them and see how it goes.You could be of help to each other O0

Its almost impossible to find a good piggy vet its important, I think, to work with those we have that are open to listening- they are very clever people and we need them, sometimes I think we can get too what seems like arrogant :)

My vet knew nothing about guineas when she arrived in Reading fresh out of vet school but had a good teacher (who had been CCT trained and is an excellent surgeon), now people come from all over to see her.

Some vets don't particularly enjoy working with guineas and that needs to be respected too, even if they are 'good'.

I don't believe people should have to travel far to see a good vet for guinea pigs but things will only change if people start working with their vets, its not their fault they don't know- frustrating but not their fault.

Hopefully this situation will gradually improve because the RCVS have now put rodents in their training curriculum.This is thanks to the pressure put on them by Peter Gurney and my vet Anne Taylor.

Annes surgery is a vet training practise and she maakes sure the students vets are taught about the importance of piggies and other rodents.They are all taught the dentristry technique.

Hopefully they will take this knowledge back to vet school and use it in their own practise when they qualify.

Thats wonderful news Mary, I know a couple of rodentologists have taken up vet lecturing as a career in the unis too, so little by little we'll get there. It just depends what info they are lecturing their students on ::) It will be interesting.

That's excellent news. I will stick with my vets, they are really nice so I do not really want to find another vet if I am honest. I hope they don't mind little ol' me butting in...lol! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back