• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

please read I'm worried

• Thread starter Thread starter maisynpoppy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kelly, I have no idea what it could be, but I do think that the reason they want to keep her in is because they don't have much time and want to squeeze it in in between consultations. Vets do that a lot. I know they sometimes do skin scrapes on dogs to check for mites, but if the vet has already ruled out mites I have no idea what they are doing! I hate to say it, but if I was you I'd travel a bit further and go to a different vet. I know its a bit of a pain, but it is what I would do.

Whatever happens Kelly, I am thinking of you and your piggies. I hope it gets sorted out quickly.

You don't need a skin scrape to check for fungal or mites. A sellotape test is all it takes for mites and fungal probs don't always show up- including ringworm.
Scaline is probably referring to a muscle but I don't know in what context.

What exactly is contagious here? Tell them you want to know and get them to give a name eg conjuctivitus.

If it is contagious then your other two probably already have it and will need treating as they've been in together.

Eyes can be closed because a pig is in pain not just because there is a prob with the eye, though its usually both when they're in pain.

If they are eating, pooping and OK then I wouldn't take them in tomorrow if they were mine.

Where are you again? PM if you don't want it on the board. You don't need them ill over Christmas (though you might get a better vet ::) )...

What bedding is she on?
Has the look of the eye changed? Is it bulging/red/weeping etc.

I'm so confused, I'm in preston, south ribble :)

i dont think the vet has any idea , so maybe shes just ruling things out :( my other two are fine at the minute thats why i dont understand why shes said it is contagious :-\
so what do i do tomorrow? my OH was going to drop Maisy off :-\

and they dont know what it is or whats contagious, all they know is Maisys eye is slightly closed and has a few hairs missing above it and i kept saying it could be ringworm as i had it and she kept saying its definatly not fungal as she checked :-\

eye hasnt changed at all its only closed by a mm and shes on fleece and newspaper, i havent changed anything of their diet or living area

Ringworm is fungal.

Is she eating andpooping OK? If so I wouldn't take her if she was mine.

Sorry, but if they don't know what it is they can't possibly know if its contagious.

Is the skin OK? Has it changed at all?

I would leave it and let things develop (providing they are eating OK) if they were mine, if indeed they are going to develop. As Cookies only young this could also be the 'way she is' ie she might have a 'slack eye'. I'm really not trying to sound patronising or to trivialise anything but look at it from all angles :) You did the right thing by alerting them to the Ringworm and as it does manifest itself on the face it needs to be watched but not panicked over- fungal problems are completely curable. Several of us have done it on this forum :)

Bottom line is, whether or not she's eating and drinking and get some baby food etc in for over Christmas just in case, that can include Supa Guinea Excel/P@H nuggets etc.

Your decision though :)

yes shes eating and pooping fine, she hasnt lost any weight but hasnt put any on, she is 875g and is just under 5months old? just her skin above her eye where she lost some hair (i think for some reason she may have scratched it and caught her eye) is a bit flakey i think!

maisynpoppy said:
and its Maisy whose got the problem with the eye not Cookie O0
:) sorry, its horrible when people get your guineas wrong :)

Weight varies as you know and I wouldn't be worried about that.

Do you have any Lavender and Myrrh lotion (Gorgeous Guineas)?

no i havent, are they closed over xmas? i dont mind you got them mixed up just thought id let you know because Maisy is older than Cookie O0

She closed today ::) You can still order, but it won't be posted till the 2/1.

Have you got any idea what you're gonna do MNP?
I take it you're not going back to that vets.
Maybe book maisy in to see another vet tomorrow if you're really worried?
I hope karen has put your mind at rest a little bit.
x

I'm still confused, i think I'm going to cancel the appointment with that vets and try the one 20mins away and see if they will see her tomorrow :-\

Yeah I think that's a good idea hopefully they'll be able to fit you in, just phone up first thing.
Hopefully they can tell you exactly what's wrong without gassing the poor little thing!
I'm sure she'll be fine though O0

yeah hopefully its something or nothing it cant be too serious or she would be off her food? :-\

Yeah I would have thought so,
I think your vets has caused you to worry for no reason at all.
I'd phone a different one in the morning for your own peace of mind O0
x

A skin scrape only takes seconds,or at least it should if done properly.Getting the results would take longer.There is no need to have this done,it5 is a waste of time.
I have pmd you re this.

thanks Mary, i just dont know what to say to the vet? should i say that i dont want a skin scrape? or am i best just going some where else?

Toffee4ever said:
I think that Pampered Piggies sells some of the GG Shampoos
Pampered Piggies are closed too now.

Lavender and Myrrh is the only one I've used round the eyes, but that was with other stuff on Ringworm.

I wouldn't have a skin scrape done. The only skin 'test' mine have done is the sellotape one for mites.

if i said i didnt want them to do i skin scrape, would they be funny with me? because I'm only 18 and they may think that i think i know whats better :-\

Possibly, but its your guinea. If they wanted to remove a limb unnecessarily you'd say 'no' wouldn't you :)

Don't be frightened to take charge. I think some vets try too hard to find a solution and put a name on it, and sometimes its because they think they have to for their clients sake (Human ones).

She sounds OK (though I obviously can't see her). I would definitely give feedback to your vet so that this doesn't happen to others and it would be good if you could 'gently' show her that skin scrapes aren't necessary- actions speak louder than words :) (unless its feedback!).

I'm going to check Maisy when i get home and ring up another vets tomorrow morning and see what they say and will end up taking her to them, atleast it will put my mind at rest :)

Just don't do anything you don't want to. Go with your gut feeling, its usually right :)

you have said that before ;D and i made a good decision O0 and the same vet told me to do the opposite ::)

Hi Kelly
only just spotted this. :(
Hugs to you.
Sorry no advice.
Good luck at the vets. O0
Anne. xx

I agree with going with the gut feeling, I wasn't at all comfortable going with the unproven cream for Flora's lice. When Cuzzy had mites the vet used the sellotape test, it took seconds. I'd get another opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back