Pets At Home Hay Crates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen them but I couldn't work out how they get in ? my piggie would not be able to jump in !....they have so many rabbits and pigs for sale at the moment who is going to buy them at this time of the year I feel so sorry for them they all look so happy yet 90% of them will end up in tiny hutches lonely and un cared for....very depressing...
Mine wouldn't be able to get in them either. They are either very lazy or not agile in the slightest. I did however see a little baby piggy launch itself into the top of it with no effort at all in the shop. I hasten to add I was walking past and didn't end up coming out with anything. Very restrained for me

Yeah, whichever one fits the bill would have to be scrutinized to make sure it's safe. This one game up on a piggy group on Facebook, it's very similar. I have mine sorted now, as I couldn't find the crates.

I love that I'm not the only one that wants the crates, I spotted them in Hemel Hempstead pets at home (luckily one of the better branches) ages and ages ago and asked right away if they would be selling them and got the same answer the rest of you got! My boys would love them especially nemmy! He loves a good hay pile anyway this would be a dream to bury and hide himself in! I am hoping they start selling them soon then, no doubt over priced but still it will be super hard to resist buying them!

I would also be interested in which woods are safe for pet toys as I would like to make some wooden toys for my pigs and my rats, my research suggests kiln dried pine wood is safest but if anyone knows any different please let me know

Make sure you take the photos with the home button on the right, volume buttons facing down to avoid them being upside down. To correct any photos that post upside down you can hold your finger on the image and click on the save photo option when it pops up. It will be then saved to your camera roll upside down. Click on the edit but in top right hand corner and then use the rotate tool to rotate it until its the correct way up.
Didn't understand any of that! - you get more like Falken every day.:lol!:

I love that I'm not the only one that wants the crates, I spotted them in Hemel Hempstead pets at home (luckily one of the better branches) ages and ages ago and asked right away if they would be selling them and got the same answer the rest of you got! My boys would love them especially nemmy! He loves a good hay pile anyway this would be a dream to bury and hide himself in! I am hoping they start selling them soon then, no doubt over priced but still it will be super hard to resist buying them!

I would also be interested in which woods are safe for pet toys as I would like to make some wooden toys for my pigs and my rats, my research suggests kiln dried pine wood is safest but if anyone knows any different please let me know

:agr: - we had a discussion about wood a while ago and came to the conclusion that kiln dried pine is the safest. I'm not so sure about plywood.

I like the other hay crates that people have seen in P@H

PH ghay.webp (have copied your picture @PiggySmitten - hope you don't mind)

I am hoping that @The Hutch Man is going to make some

Pine is poison to pigs. Even if Kiln dried how does one know all the sap is completely removed. Also crates like that Pigs can hang themselves on. The gaps are too big. Not to mention broken limbs etc if they manage to fall out of the top after somehow managing to climb.

Stick to old fashioned piles for foraging and get or make some hay bags?

Also I wouldn't fund P@H now after reading all the negative feedback and clear neglect of the animals they sell. I use online suppliers. :)

I had a chin who died after chewing a supposedly safe "kiln dried " pine shelf.

He was poisoned by sap. Toxicities in his blood. I would never trust pine regardless of how the advert says : kiln dried is safe

So many other things available that are good. :)

Pine is poison to pigs. Even if Kiln dried how does one know all the sap is completely removed. Also crates like that Pigs can hang themselves on. The gaps are too big. Not to mention broken limbs etc if they manage to fall out of the top after somehow managing to climb.

Stick to old fashioned piles for foraging and get or make some hay bags?

Also I wouldn't fund P@H now after reading all the negative feedback and clear neglect of the animals they sell. I use online suppliers. :)
I agree.

Let's be honest, it seems all wood is dangerous and all new ideas are awful, so maybe pigs shouldn't have toys? Even the plastic ones they chew. They can even chew through the fleece ones and end up with awful injuries.

Also will add, the spaces in the crates are small and I can't see a pig getting stuck in them.

And I've seen many a number of people using plywood to build and make hay areas and houses - reputable rescues may I add...

So, can't be that bad.

It is at your own responsibility what you make or buy for your pigs. But people are trying to give advice, and safe products have been stated, dangerous products and what they think of these hay crates.

It is at your own responsibility what you make or buy for your pigs. But people are trying to give advice, and safe products have been stated, dangerous products and what they think of these hay crates.
Never said people weren't? I was the first to add pine wasnt suitable. Plywood however, is fine.

Whenever someone states which woods are suitable dangerous what not, I feel you comment back on that.
Lol, ok.
No, I was stating that plywood is fine. I agree that pine is dangerous, I've said that.
And when have I elsewhere commented on wood?
My point was that these days everything is a hazard, so I question why they have all these hideys and toys if they are not suitable... And not just have a huge mound of hay to hide, sleep and play in.
Also at the same point I need s suitable hay rack for Frank as I need to stop him getting into hay and pulling it out, as it makes his feet sore. So the others I have/have found aren't suitable.

With Frank's condition he could hurt himself on the crates though. Trying to get out, a leg could get stuck.

Thanks for info on ply @TheFurryGodmother - I am relieved ply is OK as I do have some things in their hutch made from ply ( they don't chew them though).

I am hoping the Hutch Man will review this post as I seem to recall he may be using kiln dried pine to make hay crates ?

Thanks for info on ply @TheFurryGodmother - I am relieved ply is OK as I do have some things in their hutch made from ply ( they don't chew them though).

I am hoping the Hutch Man will review this post as I seem to recall he may be using kiln dried pine to make hay crates ?
He did, maybe he will as you say review the thread, as he's never come back to us x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back