Pets At Home Hay Crates

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I said about pine wood above? ^ is it safe, is it not?

As when I looked something up on another forum they said as its dried it should be okay? I dunoooo

If it is kiln dried it is ok. Does it say whether it is kiln dried?
I wouldn't risk it. It's only an accessory not important compared to safety.

Hope these might help. I'd really like one of these hay mangers!
image.webp image.webp

Sorry I don't know how to rotate photos.

How did you do that?
Before you post the photo you need to edit it on your iPhone tablet, click rotate twice so it looks upside down to you, then save. Then edit, then rotate twice so it is normal view, then save.

It may be because the button you use on the camera is at the side of the screen instead of top.

Woo! So pets at home will probably make them? Actually yes @The Hutch Man , could you make these or would you be able to advise of safe woods?
Hi people yes I could make these, if I got enough members to want them I could try and put a special deal together for you all.
I will make one up at some point next week and see what you all think? What sort of size would you want them?
Regarding a safe wood I've had a read up and pine seems to be ok as long as it's not pine shavings? but to be honest you Proberly know more than me about your pets.
If you all let me know what wood you want I can most likely source it.
Did PAH say anything about cost?

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 2
Make sure you take the photos with the home button on the right, volume buttons facing down to avoid them being upside down. To correct any photos that post upside down you can hold your finger on the image and click on the save photo option when it pops up. It will be then saved to your camera roll upside down. Click on the edit but in top right hand corner and then use the rotate tool to rotate it until its the correct way up.

Hi people yes I could make these, if I got enough members to want them I could try and put a special deal together for you all.
I will make one up at some point next week and see what you all think? What sort of size would you want them?
Regarding a safe wood I've had a read up and pine seems to be ok as long as it's not pine shavings? but to be honest you Proberly know more than me about your pets.
If you all let me know what wood you want I can most likely source it.
Did PAH say anything about cost?
I have no real idea but MDF or plywood both seem fine. I appreciate they might not look quite as nice though but I think the hay manger thing in my photo is made using MDF isn't it? That looks fine to me. What about the wood that is used to make hutches? That would surely be fine?

I would be interested in a hay crate price but I'd be even more interested in a hay manger thing like the Pets at Home one. I don't think anyone has been given any sort of idea on price by P@H. Would £10-12 sound reasonable for the manger type thing (plus postage)?

Make sure you take the photos with the home button on the right, volume buttons facing down to avoid them being upside down. To correct any photos that post upside down you can hold your finger on the image and click on the save photo option when it pops up. It will be then saved to your camera roll upside down. Click on the edit but in top right hand corner and then use the rotate tool to rotate it until its the correct way up.
Magic indeed, will transform my life!

I have no real idea but MDF or plywood both seem fine. I appreciate they might not look quite as nice though but I think the hay manger thing in my photo is made using MDF isn't it? That looks fine to me. What about the wood that is used to make hutches? That would surely be fine?

I would be interested in a hay crate price but I'd be even more interested in a hay manger thing like the Pets at Home one. I don't think anyone has been given any sort of idea on price by P@H. Would £10-12 sound reasonable for the manger type thing (plus postage)?
I wouldn't use MDF as it is made from many different woods and is made with toxins. Even when cutting MDF you should wear a mask.
Here's some info
Toxic chemicals are one of the major health risks of MDF. The chemical of most concern is formaldehyde, which can aggravate asthma and other lung conditions, irritate mucous membranes, and cause contactdermatitis. Studies on this chemical also suggest that it is a likely carcinogen, and it should be generally avoided. During the manufacturing process, personnel should protect themselves with respirators and adequate clothing. When cutting or working with MDF, nose, mouth, and eye protection should be worn. Finished products may also offgas, raising concerns about its use in the home. Fiberboard should never be burned, except in adequately ventilated facilities.

As above MDF is bad news as soon as you start cutting it. Ply wood is a nightmare with all the glues used to bond it together too.
I would much rather use a bit of pine over the above.

I wouldn't use MDF as it is made from many different woods and is made with toxins. Even when cutting MDF you should wear a mask.
Here's some info
Toxic chemicals are one of the major health risks of MDF. The chemical of most concern is formaldehyde, which can aggravate asthma and other lung conditions, irritate mucous membranes, and cause contactdermatitis. Studies on this chemical also suggest that it is a likely carcinogen, and it should be generally avoided. During the manufacturing process, personnel should protect themselves with respirators and adequate clothing. When cutting or working with MDF, nose, mouth, and eye protection should be worn. Finished products may also offgas, raising concerns about its use in the home. Fiberboard should never be burned, except in adequately ventilated facilities.

As above MDF is bad news as soon as you start cutting it. Ply wood is a nightmare with all the glues used to bond it together too.
I would much rather use a bit of pine over the above.

Sorry that's me with zero DIY experience in wooden stuff making an assumption about what the light coloured wood was that is used in the p@h manger things. Thanks for correcting me.

Ok hold up.
I'm confused.

MDF People use to make cages and bits and pieces for cages all the time, and I used it to make my three piece bookshelf in school... I never once used anything as a form of protection against it, I can't see how it's toxic? So maybe only some types are.

Plywood is irritating, it's bends, it snaps, it splinters... So I get that. It's rubbish.

Pine, can only be used if it's kiln dried or its harmful to piggies?

So, go figure?

Any help on this confusion @The Hutch Man

I've seen them but I couldn't work out how they get in ? my piggie would not be able to jump in !....they have so many rabbits and pigs for sale at the moment who is going to buy them at this time of the year I feel so sorry for them they all look so happy yet 90% of them will end up in tiny hutches lonely and un cared for....very depressing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back