Finding Tofu A Friend

The boys are ready to move into the cage anytime now. There may be some mild dominance initially, which is perfectly normal for the move and a new cage layout but it should more feel like a formality than a restart of the whole bonding process (which is usually the sign of having moved your boys into the cage too early).

The boys are ready to move into the cage anytime now. There may be some mild dominance inititally, which is perfectly normal for the move but it should be more feel like a formality than a restart of the whole bonding process (which is the sign of having moved your boys into the cage too early).

Oh that’s brilliant, thank you! Will get the cage all set up and cleaned out for them :D

They’re continuing to nap together, lovely boys

Got the gloves on standy just in case! Thank you ❤️

It is quite chilly in here today - normally the boys have a snugglesafe each in their divided cage. Would it disurpt anything if I put the snugglesafes under the fleece on opposite sides of the bonding pen? They have one each, but I could rub the fleece over each other to mix scents before putting it in, would that be alright or should I avoid?

Demonstrating their love of hay diving again!

View attachment 258296
You’ve loads I hay in there I wouldn’t worry

Oh that’s brilliant, thank you! Will get the cage all set up and cleaned out for them :D

They’re continuing to nap together, lovely boys

Let them sleep and move when they are up and running again. There may be a little dominance after waking up, just a kind of 'Oh, hello again, are we still standing with each other like this?'

The boys are moved in!

I waited until they had woken up and were pottering again. Since being in the cage, they made a piggie train to investigate all of it, had a bit of rumbling, Tofu humped a couple of times, and then they settled in to munch from the same hay pile again

Now Tofu is inside a paper bag full of hay (of course 😂) and Patches is pottering, sniffing all the hideys, and rearranging my interior designing to his own liking

Thank you SO MUCH for all the help and support, especially from MerryPigs @Wheekallweek who managed to find a suitable friend for Tofu the same day I lost Noodle ❤️ his passing was a real shock and this could have been a nightmare, but instead watching Tofu and Patches meet and befriend each other has been a joy

IMG_5926.webpIMG_5928.webpIMG_5924.webp

Tweed and Noodles are hopefully making friends over The Rainbow Bridge too and happily watching their friends Sidney and Tofu 💙💙
Well done to you all on a happy ending 💙💙

This brought a tear to my eye 🥹 I’m sure they’re both pleased their friends have found each other

Veggie time this evening went great, they had two scattered piles just in case one of them decided to hog - Tofu eats much faster than Patches, I don’t think Patches had much experience eating veg before he got to the rescue so he takes his time figuring it out at the moment. Though tbh they were sharing from each other’s piles the whole time, and they got about the same amount from what I could tell, so I was probably overthinking it 😅

We’ve had minimal dominance in the cage and they’ve had two side by side naps already. A very successful bonding day! I am smitten with them as a pair and thrilled we can all settle in now

You are most welcome, I'm just so happy it's gone so well for everyone involved!
Here's to many happy years of Sidney and Tofu! 😁❤️

Tweed and Noodles are hopefully making friends over The Rainbow Bridge too and happily watching their friends Sidney and Tofu 💙💙
Well done to you all on a happy ending 💙💙
I absolutely believe it. Thank you so much for fostering them both ❤️

This brought a tear to my eye 🥹 I’m sure they’re both pleased their friends have found each other

Veggie time this evening went great, they had two scattered piles just in case one of them decided to hog - Tofu eats much faster than Patches, I don’t think Patches had much experience eating veg before he got to the rescue so he takes his time figuring it out at the moment. Though tbh they were sharing from each other’s piles the whole time, and they got about the same amount from what I could tell, so I was probably overthinking it 😅

We’ve had minimal dominance in the cage and they’ve had two side by side naps already. A very successful bonding day! I am smitten with them as a pair and thrilled we can all settle in now

Giving Patches and Tofu time through the bars and then again, time to work through the full group establishment in the bonding pen means that they can tackle the territorial stuff very much as a bonded pair. Neither of them is aggressive by nature and they respect each other's boundary, so that is a very solid foundation. ;)

A happy ending to a very sad event. It doesn't take away anything from Tofu but there is no mood booster like seeing a bereaved piggy happy again with a congenial new mate. :)

Moving over to a thread in the guinea pig chat section so I don’t keep clogging up the bonding section ☺️ thank you again for all the support and help, I don’t know how I’d have got through the last couple weeks without it - and the boys are still very happy together!

Back