Finding Tofu A Friend

Good luck for tomorrow!

There should not be any hides or accessories in the bonding pen - they can create territories and potentially cause issues. Please do remove everything you’ve currently put in there.
It should just be a pile of hay and some water.

You can give them accessories and hides a once they move into their main cage

I fully agree. The furniture to get possessive over / hide in and defend, the better.

Just a big pile of hay and water so there is space for all necessary shenanigans.

You can see pictures and videos of bonding pens in our bonding guide

An hour in and things seem to be going well! Nothing has escalated beyond chasing and mild lunging (not even humping, much to my surprise) - Tofu did try to hump for the first couple of minutes, but Patches was too fast for him and he settled down really quick. I think it was excitement over meeting a new piggie as Tofu has never been bonded with anyone but his brother

We're now having little bursts of chasing, squeaking, running in circles sniffing each other, interspersed with breaks where they just sit together and eat hay. They've both been hay diving together as well (Tofu has had SO many hay pokes, and Patches seems to share his love of tunneling through giant piles of hay, so I despair lol 😂)

From the guide I think we're past the acceptance phase and into the leadership phase. I have no clue who is going to end up more dominant - so far I *think* it's Patches, but it's very early days still, and I remember it doesn't matter too much if I can never tell who's boss as long as they work it out

Fingers crossed the boys continue to like each other!

IMG_5850.webp IMG_5843.webp IMG_5860.webp IMG_5866.webp

Thank you so much I really appreciate all the support on here xx

It has begun! Five minutes in and we’ve had a bit of chasing and rumbling, mutual bum sniffing, and now they’re eating hay together

I am camped in the spare bedroom for the day haha

View attachment 258288View attachment 258289View attachment 258290View attachment 258291

It sounds very much on the mild side. Please take a deep breath.

With boars you usually know pretty quickly how it is going to pan out in terms of whether they get on or not, or whether they need more time to sort themselves out; much more so than with sows.

Brace for some rather boring camping as the next few rounds of dominance are not going to be much more exciting - it's basically just about filling in the cavy paperwork for your boys as far as bonding goes. :)

They need to establish a leader in order to have a working group and have to follow the intinctive protocol but it sounds like both boys want to be with a friend again above all and any bonding formalities are going to be mainly that - formalities.

They make a very handsome pair! :love:

It sounds very much on the mild side. Please take a deep breath.

With boars you usually know pretty quickly how it is going to pan out in terms of whether they get on or not, or whether they need more time to sort themselves out; much more so than with sows.

Brace for some rather boring camping as the next few rounds of dominance are not going to be much more exciting - it's basically just about filling in the cavy paperwork for your boys as far as bonding goes. :)

They need to establish a leader in order to have a working group and have to follow the intinctive protocol but it sounds like both boys want to be with a friend again above all and any bonding formalities are going to be mainly that - formalities.

They make a very handsome pair! :love:

Thank you so much! That's very reassuring ☺️ it does all seem to be on the milder side and I think they're both just very happy to have a friend again, as they have both been recently bereaved

Tofu has just had a bit of a humping spree. Patches goes between accepting it and telling him off with lunging and teeth chattering, which Tofu seems to be listening to as he moves away and gives him space. They're still eating together in between these bouts as well, and they've both been washing their faces

Every time I get nervous, I just have to remind myself what the dominance days between Noodle and Tofu looked like when they were teens, and this isn't anywhere even close to that! And Noodle and Tofu had a great bond <3

Tofu's been getting little bouts of zoomies as well, which I haven't seen in about two years! It's wonderful to see him perking up so much with company

I've got my knitting and a book to keep me occupied, hopefully things remain calm and I have a very dull day haha

Add the hides only when they go to the cage.

Basically, you leave them to it unless there is a furball fight. A furball is unmistakable so you won’t need to worry about missing it should it occur.
Be armed with oven gloves just in case you need to separate, good luck 🤞 it’s looking good so far!

Be armed with oven gloves just in case you need to separate, good luck 🤞 it’s looking good so far!

Got the gloves on standy just in case! Thank you ❤️

It is quite chilly in here today - normally the boys have a snugglesafe each in their divided cage. Would it disurpt anything if I put the snugglesafes under the fleece on opposite sides of the bonding pen? They have one each, but I could rub the fleece over each other to mix scents before putting it in, would that be alright or should I avoid?

Demonstrating their love of hay diving again!

IMG_5875.webp

Dull is good on a bonding day x

As long as Tofu respects Patches boundaries, the bonding is on track.

If piggies exchange signs of reassurance and mutual friendship in between rounds of dominance, then they tell each other that they still want to remain friends. Tofu and Patches are still well on course and they are also a good way into the hierarchy sort-out and group establishment. Patches is basically telling Tofu that he is fine with Tofu being the leader but that he is not a walk-over and that he demands respect in turn. As long as Tofu listens, they are fine.

Teeth chattering and lunging are mainly defensive boundary markers; it is only when they are ignored that you see an escalation. ;)

As long as Tofu respects Patches boundaries, the bonding is on track.

If piggies exchange signs of reassurance and mutual friendship in between rounds of dominance, then they tell each other that they still want to remain friends. Tofu and Patches are still well on course and they are also a good way into the hierarchy sort-out and group establishment. Patches is basically telling Tofu that he is fine with Tofu being the leader but that he is not a walk-over and that he demands respect in turn. As long as Tofu listens, they are fine.

Teeth chattering and lunging are mainly defensive boundary markers; it is only when they are ignored that you see an escalation. ;)

Thank you, that really helps to make sense of everything - as does your wonderful guide!

Tofu and Patches are rubbing along together quite well now. Still bouts of humping (from Tofu) and Patches is accepting more than not, and as soon as he gives a sign he's had enough, Tofu gives him space. They've had two naps together now, lots of munching hay together, and they're together more often than not - only after a humping spree do they rest on opposite sides of the pen for a bit

I am very pleased! They've both been drinking lots as well and not been bothering each other when they are

I'll leave them in there together as long as needed to be sure, but I think we might have a lovely new pair ❤️

IMG_5894.webp IMG_5893.webp IMG_5888.webp

Thank you, that really helps to make sense of everything - as does your wonderful guide!

Tofu and Patches are rubbing along together quite well now. Still bouts of humping (from Tofu) and Patches is accepting more than not, and as soon as he gives a sign he's had enough, Tofu gives him space. They've had two naps together now, lots of munching hay together, and they're together more often than not - only after a humping spree do they rest on opposite sides of the pen for a bit

I am very pleased! They've both been drinking lots as well and not been bothering each other when they are

I'll leave them in there together as long as needed to be sure, but I think we might have a lovely new pair ❤️

View attachment 258298 View attachment 258299 View attachment 258300

Take a deep breath. They are past the critical stage of leadership establishment and are already three quarters through the roughest part of the group establishment. They have established their personal boundaries and are currently affirming them but it is all part of the normal positive bonding process; just getting from the main paragraphs more and more into the fine print over the coming hours and days.

Give them all day in the bonding pen; the more of the strops they can get over with there the less dominance you will see when they move into the shared cage as they will have solved by then the main points of the way the team is run and can get to work on the office use (territory). Wipe everything with their mingled scent before you move them so the cage clearly says 'ours'. Each nap more means more stuff is out of the way before they move in together. It pays to give them plenty of time for this stage in the bonding pen until they are peaceful together. ;)

Take a deep breath. They are past the critical stage of leadership establishment and are already three quarter through the roughest part of the group establishment. They have established their personal boundaries and are currently affirming them but it is all part of the normal positive bonding process; just getting from the main paragraphs more and more into the fine print over the coming hours and days.

Give them all day in the bonding pen; the more of the strops they can get over with there the less dominance you will see when they move into the shared cage as they will have solved by then the main points of the way the team is run and can get to work on the office use (territory). Wipe everything with their mingled scent before you move them so the cage clearly says 'ours'. Each nap more means more stuff is out of the way before they move in together. It pays to give them plenty of time for this stage in the bonding pen until they are peaceful together. ;)

That sounds like a perfect plan! I’ll leave them in until (tentatively) this evening and then maybe pop them in the cage before heading up to bed. I am prepared to leave them in the bonding pen overnight if need be though

We’re onto nap three now, with both boys firmly buried in a shared hay pile. I’ve got their new cage fleece liner in the bonding pen with them so I can rub that over everything - and is it best that the shared cage only has a few two-exit hideys to begin with, adding more over time? I think I read that somewhere but it’s starting to blur together a bit 😅

Naps number four and five happened in quick succession haha - I think all the excitement has tired them out 😂

Amazing! What good boys they both are. Sidney is a big fan of a hay pile so he'll be having a whale of a time 😂
I'm so glad it all seems to be going well.
Fingers crossed! 🤞❤️

He’s been making tunnels all day! Tofu loves it too, they’re a perfect match in many ways

I did end up popping the snugglesafes in (without covers, just directly under the liners) and the boys are currently sharing one while Tofu sleeps ❤️

The dominance is calmer and gentler with each round and they’re spending more time munching hay and grooming together in between. I have a very good feeling they’ll be friends

IMG_5908.webp

That sounds like a perfect plan! I’ll leave them in until (tentatively) this evening and then maybe pop them in the cage before heading up to bed. I am prepared to leave them in the bonding pen overnight if need be though

We’re onto nap three now, with both boys firmly buried in a shared hay pile. I’ve got their new cage fleece liner in the bonding pen with them so I can rub that over everything - and is it best that the shared cage only has a few two-exit hideys to begin with, adding more over time? I think I read that somewhere but it’s starting to blur together a bit 😅

Any newly bonded piggies should only have houses with more than one exit. Apart from my oldies caves, I frankly no longer use anything with single openings and I always make sure that there are no dead corners.

Since they are sharing the hay pile, your bonding has definitely worked. Just spread the new bedding over the bonding pen floor (upside down), tamp it down a bit to pick up scent, shake out any debris and then use for the cage smelly side up; that will do the trick.

Back