Finding Tofu A Friend

Loving the updates will be using some of these photos on our Foster Family album if that's ok 💙

Of course! Here’s a few more just because he’s so lovely 😍

He really is settling in, and I think Tofu being so comfortable with us is rubbing off on him because he’s taking food from my hand already. And he snatched a pea flake off my partner before work this morning haha

I put a paper bag full of hay in for him, but he’s a bit big for it and ripped it in half - not that he minds because he’s currently fast asleep half-buried in it!

IMG_5739.webp IMG_5717.webpIMG_5713.webpIMG_5734.webp

Attachments

• IMG_5701.webp
    IMG_5701.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 1
Of course! Here’s a few more just because he’s so lovely 😍

He really is settling in, and I think Tofu being so comfortable with us is rubbing off on him because he’s taking food from my hand already. And he snatched a pea flake off my partner before work this morning haha

I put a paper bag full of hay in for him, but he’s a bit big for it and ripped it in half - not that he minds because he’s currently fast asleep half-buried in it!

View attachment 258074 View attachment 258076View attachment 258077View attachment 258079
😍😍😍Thank you the ones where they are kissing through the bars are just amazing 😍😍😍

He is a delightful chonk haha … though I probably should have sewn his tunnel a little bigger! I’ll know for the next one 😄

IMG_5751.webp IMG_5752.webp

I’ve also just seen Tofu death napping out in the open, which he hasn’t done once since losing his brother. He’s just totally come alive again and it’s warming my heart ❤️

Sidney just woke up, they were both nibbling hay beside the bars, had a little rumble at each other, and then Sidney did a series of big popcorns and set Tofu off doing one too! They've been doing some mutual grooming/face washing at each other as well

I won't do a play by play of the whole thing haha but safe to say I am completely in love :luv:

It looks really promising for a bromance. ❤️

Here's Sidney and Tweed in the tunnel together courtesy of @CTWC 🥹
Amy says she's so happy he's getting on so well she could have a little cry 😂❤️

View attachment 258103
Awww he’s absolutely precious! I’m glad Amy is pleased, I’m cautiously thrilled with how things have gone so far, especially with how much happier Tofu seems

It looks really promising for a bromance. ❤️
I have everything crossed! That is good to hear though 😊

Impatiently waiting until Saturday - I just want to bond them now and see how it goes! But I want to wait until I have a free day and someone else at home to help

Today is usually weigh day, so I thought I’d have a go getting Sidney/Patches out after Tofu. It went well, he was cautious but settled in with pea flakes, and his little nose is healing up nicely 😊 Tofu was much better about taking his meds than normal (he hates his eye drops 😂) - I think he’s glad he’s got a friend

IMG_5785.webp IMG_5799.webp IMG_5803.webp

Awww he’s absolutely precious! I’m glad Amy is pleased, I’m cautiously thrilled with how things have gone so far, especially with how much happier Tofu seems

I have everything crossed! That is good to hear though 😊

Impatiently waiting until Saturday - I just want to bond them now and see how it goes! But I want to wait until I have a free day and someone else at home to help

Today is usually weigh day, so I thought I’d have a go getting Sidney/Patches out after Tofu. It went well, he was cautious but settled in with pea flakes, and his little nose is healing up nicely 😊 Tofu was much better about taking his meds than normal (he hates his eye drops 😂) - I think he’s glad he’s got a friend

View attachment 258138 View attachment 258139 View attachment 258140

It's such a comfort seeing a bereaved piggy getting their sparkle back when there is company!

I will do, thank you! As long as they're happy together I won't mind not being able to tell haha

Aww I love hearing about Bill and Ted - boars are amazing pairs when they're well matched. I would be thrilled if these two end up similar - so far I'm very hopeful but I don't want to assume it's going to work out just in case I jinx it 😅

He's so adorable! And so confident, he rubbed his face against my hand this morning demanding cheek scritches haha. A new one on me as Tofu and Noodle never really liked being pet in the cage. He's bigger than Tofu as well, and Tofu was always my chonky boy so I think Tofu is quite happy to be matched!

They're sharing hay between the divider now - and by 'sharing' I mean 'Patches/Sidney yanked one of the best strands through the bars, Tofu didn't react, so he kept yanking harder' 😂
You can’t beat a well bonded pair of boars in my opinion, they are so daft and funny. Hope it works out for them 🤞🤞🤞

You can’t beat a well bonded pair of boars in my opinion, they are so daft and funny. Hope it works out for them 🤞🤞🤞

Totally agree, boars are ridiculous and wonderful together!

I've set up the bonding pen for tomorrow, very excited to see the two of them meet properly - will add hay and water bottles in the morning, and if I've missed anything please let me know. I'm rereading the guides as well to try get it as smooth as possible. They're both fast asleep in their hideys at the moment

We've continued to have lots of friendly interaction through the bars - the hay stealing goes both ways now haha. Sidney/Patches has very different taste in veggies to Tofu, Tofu has always been obsessed with coriander, Sidney/Patches turns his nose up at it and goes straight for the cucumber/lettuce instead! He also adores his pellets, whereas Tofu has never been that bothered about them. Pea flakes continue to go down well with both of them 😅

I have everything crossed they get on well tomorrow. I'm very hopeful considering how they've been through the bars but you never know. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst (I'm hoping they'll have a few sniffs, the odd rumble, and then just settle in together, seeing as they are both such chill piggies)

IMG_5827.webpIMG_5829.webpIMG_5830.webp

Good luck for tomorrow!

There should not be any hides or accessories in the bonding pen - they can create territories and potentially cause issues. Please do remove everything you’ve currently put in there.
It should just be a pile of hay and some water.

You can give them accessories and hides a once they move into their main cage

Be prepared for humping! It's nerve racking but normal.

BTW all hides and tunnels should come out of the bonding pen.

Good luck for tomorrow!

There should not be any hides or accessories in the bonding pen. They can create territories and potentially cause issues. Please do remove everything you’ve currently put in there.
It should just be a pile of hay and some water

Oh yes true! I'll take them out before putting the boys in, thank you ☺️ shows how even reading the guide several times you can still miss things lol. If things go well and they end up staying in there several hours/overnight is it okay to add in some two-exit hideys for them then? Or should that only be when they go into the cleaned-out cage together?

I've been watching all the videos in the guide to prepare for the behaviour, I'm most worried at being able to tell whether it goes too far without intervening too early - thankfully will have partner for a second opinion so my anxiety doesn't take over. And Noodle used to have some quite dramatic hormone spikes when they were teens where he'd be chasing and humping Tofu like mad, so I've seen that before at least!

Add the hides only when they go to the cage.

Basically, you leave them to it unless there is a furball fight. A furball is unmistakable so you won’t need to worry about missing it should it occur.

Sounds nice and simple when you put it like that! Thank you :D fingers crossed the boys decide to be friends, I'll keep this thread updated tomorrow 🤞

I'm excited for you and them, can't wait to see them (hopefully) bonded. It's impossible to know how the bonding will go. My chilled out zen piggy, Sir George, turned into a humping maniac for the first few minutes of meeting Master Boris. Totally surprised me, he was like a pig possessed!

Thank you so much all of you! I’m nervous but excited - chocolate and coffee sound like perfect remedies! Will make sure my partner brings a steady supply 😅

The hides are all out of the bonding pen now. Will be just a hay pile and water bottles in the morning

Tofu has been out for a nail trim tonight as they were just verging on too long… gotta look his best for his date! 😂

Sidney/Patches has decided he likes green beans even more than cucumber, and he’s hand feeding from both of us now. He’s such a sweet boy, I really hope Tofu agrees so we can keep him 🤞🤞🤞

Back