• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞

Good luck Ella. Healing vibes being sent your way.

I am sorry to hear this.
It sounds unfortunately like this was the “best” next step, as the tooth was giving her continued pain/inability to eat.

My fingers are crossed all goes well today, maybe try to do something for yourself today, like a project you’ve been putting off, as I know how scary the wait is and this may help you get a bit of relief even for a little bit.
Thank you. I feel so sick with worry but she can’t carry on the way she is. My parents are taking me out for a few hours to help take my mind off it x

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. The vet has just phoned me. She’s out of surgery and is in recovery. He said the op has gone really well and he has managed to get the tooth and root out and has sutured over the hole to stop food getting in. She’s high on pain relief and is spaced out but is awake. I’ll know more when I pick her up at 6.45pm as he wants to keep her for as long as possible to give her fluids and food. He’s going to send her home with strong painkillers and recovery feed xx

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. The vet has just phoned me. She’s out of surgery and is in recovery. He said the op has gone really well and he has managed to get the tooth and root out and has sutured over the hole to stop food getting in. She’s high on pain relief and is spaced out but is awake. I’ll know more when I pick her up at 6.45pm as he wants to keep her for as long as possible to give her fluids and food. He’s going to send her home with strong painkillers and recovery feed xx
That’s wonderful! Well done Ella. Just read your thread and I sympathise with you so much! Going in to weigh and your heart dropping as they have lost more, never a nice feeling :( But it sounds like she’s getting the utmost care, well done you!

Ella’s home as they rang me to say I could collect her earlier and I’m proper stressing out. She’s had buprecare and has been sent home with some for the next few days and I’m reading bad things about it 😞 She’s moving around the cage but looks stoned probably by all the drugs and isn’t interested in food 😞 Will she be ok with just 3 incisors? She’s got to go back to the vets on Tuesday unless I’m concerned. I’ve been given Science recovery plus to syringe feed her x

Oh no, poor Ella! But very glad she‘s pulled through surgery fine and is on the way to recovery. Can’t say anything to the buprecare as I‘ve never used it before unfortunately. Keeping my fingers crossed Ella will be right as rain again very soon.

And well done you for taking such good care of Ella & doing what was the best for her. Your piggies are very lucky to have such a special home with so much love and care x

Ella is still spaced out this morning and still doesn’t want hay, grass or veggies 😞 but she’s had 10ml of mushed up nuggets as she prefers this over the recovery feed the vets gave. When should I be worried? x

Ella is still spaced out this morning and still doesn’t want hay, grass or veggies 😞 but she’s had 10ml of mushed up nuggets as she prefers this over the recovery feed the vets gave. When should I be worried? x
Claire keep up with the mushed pellets if she prefers that, her little mouth will be a bit sore for a few days. Is she getting water, if she’s a bit wobbly you can make the mush a little bit wetter so she gets some. You are doing a great job, hang in there. Piggies with three incisors manage well and you may find the single incisor will grow a bit wider and grind against the other two incisors. Bill had problem incisors which broke and one of this bottom ones grew “fat” to compensate for the weak one

Claire keep up with the mushed pellets if she prefers that, her little mouth will be a bit sore for a few days. Is she getting water, if she’s a bit wobbly you can make the mush a little bit wetter so she gets some. You are doing a great job, hang in there. Piggies with three incisors manage well and you may find the single incisor will grow a bit wider and grind against the other two incisors. Bill had problem incisors which broke and one of this bottom ones grew “fat” to compensate for the weak one
Thank you. I’m so stressed out 😞 She’s had about 15ml of mushed nuggets this morning and I’ve syringed her some water. I’ve ordered her some critical care to come tomorrow to see if she likes that as I’m worried about her not getting enough fibre and vitamins etc. Just seen her try and eat a bit of little gem but she couldn’t manage it 😞 is this because her mouths still sore or due to something else? I’m worried the vet has missed something or made things worse 😞 I’m glad Bill managed with 3 incisors, hopefully Ella will too x

She's likely just uncomfortable, rather than something suspicious going on. It's not a small surgery on a wee animal, I wouldn't be worried she's not eating properly for herself immediately.

I always use mushed nuggets for syringe feeding. I find very few like critical care. Have you been given an antibiotic as well as adequate pain relief?

Thank you. Are they ok with just mushed nuggets in her case, Harrington’s? I’m worried about her not getting enough vitamins and fibre as she’s not eating hay. She’s also hardly pooing 😞 She’s liking the mushed up nuggets and taking them so I may mix the critical care with them? She’s got baytril and bupacare which I was worried about but she doesn’t seemed so spaced out now x

Thank you. I’m so stressed out 😞 She’s had about 15ml of mushed nuggets this morning and I’ve syringed her some water. I’ve ordered her some critical care to come tomorrow to see if she likes that as I’m worried about her not getting enough fibre and vitamins etc. Just seen her try and eat a bit of little gem but she couldn’t manage it 😞 is this because her mouths still sore or due to something else? I’m worried the vet has missed something or made things worse 😞 I’m glad Bill managed with 3 incisors, hopefully Ella will too x
You are doing fine Claire, it’s a big op and she will be a sore x

She’s probably sore. Keep on doing what you are doing. Good luck.

Oh no poor Ella. Hopefully she'll be more up to eating properly within the next few days. I know that what happened with Edward hit you hard and it will always be in the back of your mind when you see similar symptoms in your current pigs. But you needn't panic @Claire W , you are doing a brilliant job in doing what's best for Ella.

That’s good, I hope she’ll eat it. Is it normal for them to take a while to eat the syringe food? I’m giving her 1ml at a time x
Ted was notoriously slow sometimes but I suppose it takes time for them to get the hang of it, hopefully she’ll speed up a bit when she realises it makes her tummy feel a bit better. It’s a big op for a little piggie and she’ll feel a bit beaten up for a while too

Oh no poor Ella. Hopefully she'll be more up to eating properly within the next few days. I know that what happened with Edward hit you hard and it will always be in the back of your mind when you see similar symptoms in your current pigs. But you needn't panic @Claire W , you are doing a brilliant job in doing what's best for Ella.
Thank you and yes, anything dental stresses me out no end especially after Edward (even though in the end it wasn’t his tooth that ended his life) but it’s always a worry and so stressful 😞 Thank you, that’s a lovely thing to say x

Ted was notoriously slow sometimes but I suppose it takes time for them to get the hang of it, hopefully she’ll speed up a bit when she realises it makes her tummy feel a bit better. It’s a big op for a little piggie and she’ll feel a bit beaten up for a while too
Thank you, I’m glad it can be normal for them to be slow. She pushes my hand away when she’s had enough so I feel awful. She’s looking a bit brighter this evening but her next dose of Buprecare is due soon so she’ll be sleepy again after that x

IMG_6199.webp

I’m stressing out. Ella showed interest in veg this morning but she couldn’t eat it 😞 Is it just her mouth is still sore and feels weird? I’m worried she won’t be able to eat again or something now the tooth is out 😞

Guinea pigs manage fine with three incisors. We’ve also had piggies with only two or even one incisor, who have eaten normally. It’s still early days. For those who are struggling to pick up food, I feed salad leaves or herbs and offer them stalk first, so they can grab the stalk with their cheek teeth.

Guinea pigs manage fine with three incisors. We’ve also had piggies with only two or even one incisor, who have eaten normally. It’s still early days. For those who are struggling to pick up food, I feed salad leaves or herbs and offer them stalk first, so they can grab the stalk with their cheek teeth.
Thank you Debbie. That’s made me feel better. I guess I’m expecting her to run before she can walk. She also has a suture closing the hole her tooth came from to prevent food getting in it and infection. I’ve just sent Chris on an errand for herbs as I’ve ran out x

I think the clumpy poos are normal after an operation, it does show that the gut is slowly waking up from the aesthetics and starting to move and produce poop. Once she gets eating more that escalator will start running smoothly again, so keep up with the feeding and encourage her with herbs and salad and anything she particularly likes

Back