• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing šŸ˜ž

Ella is stressing me out again šŸ˜ž Sheā€™s lost around 50g in weight in a week and I saw her doing a weird mouth movement when she was eating her veggies this morning and she spat out a piece of cucumber. I have had a look at her tooth and it still looks the same so Iā€™m not sure if she just had something stuck or something? I have managed to get her a vet appointment with the vet who has been dealing with her for Tuesday evening. Itā€™s the earliest they could fit her in without it being an emergency. Does anyone know why she could have made the mouth movements? Iā€™m hoping the weight loss is just due to the warmer weather or something x

I have been watching Ella and she is definitely making over the top mouth movements when she eats (mainly her veggies). Itā€™s as if food is getting stuck and sheā€™s dislodging it šŸ˜ž

Ella has seen the vet. She ws very wiggly so she's going in tomorrow to have her back teeth checked under a light sedation :( He doesn't think it's her back teeth from what he could see but wants to double check. I'm so worried :( He thinks it's her front tooth causing the trouble

I'm just going to take just Ella tomorrow as it'll be a bit much taking all 3 girls and I don't want to take two and leave one at home. Will Ella be ok on her own at the vets for a few hours? It won't break their bond will it?

Iā€™m sure they will all be fine apart for a little while. Peppers tooth hasnā€™t grown back. Heā€™s managing fine with only three incisors. I hope the vet can find the cause of her weight loss.

Has Ellaā€™s tooth not grown back at all since March? Has she got any other issues? Is she on any medication?

Iā€™m sure they will all be fine apart for a little while. Peppers tooth hasnā€™t grown back. Heā€™s managing fine with only three incisors. I hope the vet can find the cause of her weight loss.

Has Ellaā€™s tooth not grown back at all since March? Has she got any other issues? Is she on any medication?

He gave her a full examination including temperature and he couldnā€™t find anything. Her tooth has only grown back a little but thereā€™s a bit of tooth growing back next to the one that broke so he said that could be causing her pain as her jaw felt a little tender when he was examining her so heā€™s prescribed her some metacam. Next step is to xray her jaw to see what the incisor is doing below the gum line.

Iā€™m so stressed and worried šŸ˜ž

Iā€™m glad Pepper is managing fine with 3 incisors x

Iā€™m glad sheā€™s got Metacam. That should help. Good luck tomorrow. ā¤ļø

Ah poor girl & poor you! It's always so stressful when they're unwell, isn't it? I can't offer any advice but sending you hugs and hopefully your vet can figure out what's going on with Ella's teeth very soon. Keep us posted! x

The vet nurse has just phoned about Ella. Her back teeth are thankfully perfect but the vet thinks the bit of tooth growing at the front is hurting her so sheā€™s coming home with more metacam, baytril in case of a little infection and emeprid. Any ideas on how to get her to eat? Sheā€™s awake and we can pick her up at 3. Canā€™t wait to get her home ā¤ļø

You just have to give her time.
Aside from placing things like hay in an area she is likely to rest in, you can also offer her her favourite veggies.
If sheā€™s on critical care/support feeding I would start with this right away.

One of my boys recently had a dental and I know how scary the apprehension is, he didnā€™t eat much when he was at the vets but when his GA was wearing off he started tucking right in as I placed hay where he was lain.
Glad you got good news back and fingers crossed lovely Ella starts to feel better soon x

Good news her back teeth are ok. Iā€™m sure the increased pain medication will help.

Iā€™m so stressed out now sheā€™s home. Iā€™ve just given them their tea and sheā€™s barely eating šŸ˜ž Iā€™m paranoid theyā€™ve missed something. She has to go back next Tuesday for a check up x

I really think you should give her a chance.
I understand the worry, do not get me wrong, but unfortunately the stress/worry will not change the outcome.

Take a deep breathe and maybe find something for you to do outside of the pigs for a bit, just so you can have some time for yourself as well.

Is she on critical care? If not you can always make pellet mush to keep things moving (gut wise), and then go from there.
It is good to keep an eye out, but every pig will be different in recovery so you will never know.

Thank you. Iā€™m trying not to stress, itā€™s just so difficult after losing a pig to dental issues and then with Edward and his poorly incisor last summer šŸ˜ž Iā€™ve just walked in and found her eating mushed nuggets from the bowl I put in the cage earlier (the other bowl has normal nuggets so she has a choice and so that Elizabeth and Esme arenā€™t forced to eat mushed nuggets)

IMG_6162.webp

Oh good girl, Ella, keep on eating for your mum! ā¤ļø We have our fingers and paws crossed, that the metacam will help with her eating and that the baytril will nip a possible infection right in the butt. Iā€˜m so sorry youā€˜re going through such a stressful time at the moment. I hope thing will go back to normal for you very soon.

Oh good girl, Ella, keep on eating for your mum! ā¤ļø We have our fingers and paws crossed, that the metacam will help with her eating and that the baytril will nip a possible infection right in the butt. Iā€˜m so sorry youā€˜re going through such a stressful time at the moment. I hope thing will go back to normal for you very soon.

Thank you. It was a relief to see her eating the mushed nuggets. What with Elizabeth and now Ella I donā€™t know how much more I can take. Sheā€™s had some baby leaf salad and grass which is at least something but I just want her to eat some hay and stop losing weight šŸ˜ž x

Thank you. It was a relief to see her eating the mushed nuggets. What with Elizabeth and now Ella I donā€™t know how much more I can take. Sheā€™s had some baby leaf salad and grass which is at least something but I just want her to eat some hay and stop losing weight šŸ˜ž x
I know exactly what you mean. Iā€˜ve had at least one slightly unwell piggy (& one very unwell piggy who I had to help over the rainbow bridge back in March) since November last year. Itā€˜s so draining when all you want is for them to be happy & healthy. But since sheā€˜s going for her mushed nuggets & is also eating salad and grass sheā€˜s clearly got an appetite which is a great sign. Now the metacam just needs to kick in properly so eating hay is a less uncomfortable.

When one of my lot isnā€™t eating quite enough but still has an appetite like Buttons did these past 2 weeks, I tend to offer them a bowl of critical care mixed with some oats or grated sweet potato - they love it and it helps them keep the weight on or even gain a little.

Try not to relax a little bit (I know, easier said than done!). Youā€˜re doing amazing x

I know exactly what you mean. Iā€˜ve had at least one slightly unwell piggy (& one very unwell piggy who I had to help over the rainbow bridge back in March) since November last year. Itā€˜s so draining when all you want is for them to be happy & healthy. But since sheā€˜s going for her mushed nuggets & is also eating salad and grass sheā€˜s clearly got an appetite which is a great sign. Now the metacam just needs to kick in properly so eating hay is a less uncomfortable.

When one of my lot isnā€™t eating quite enough but still has an appetite like Buttons did these past 2 weeks, I tend to offer them a bowl of critical care mixed with some oats or grated sweet potato - they love it and it helps them keep the weight on or even gain a little.

Try not to relax a little bit (I know, easier said than done!). Youā€˜re doing amazing x

Thank you. Itā€™s just so stressful and draining šŸ˜ž Itā€™s as if she wants to eat but canā€™t. Iā€™m so stressed that the vet has missed something. It doesnā€™t help that my bloody husband mowed the grass even though I asked him not to so getting fresh grass isnā€™t easy. But Iā€™m going to my parents house today so will get some from there. Sheā€™s eating salad leaves and cucumber but Iā€™m worried about her getting bloat šŸ˜ž x

I saw in another thread that your girls weight is down again.

Do you have ā€˜actualā€™ critical care available?
If she is not eating her hay you may want to invest in proper critical care, as pellet mush can help a piggie losing weight but does not replace the hay intake as critical care does.

I have never dealt with a broken tooth so couldnā€™t speak on wether this was normal, but was it the vets understanding that the only issue was her tooth growing in again?
Or is this a separate issue.

I saw in another thread that your girls weight is down again.

Do you have ā€˜actualā€™ critical care available?
If she is not eating her hay you may want to invest in proper critical care, as pellet mush can help a piggie losing weight but does not replace the hay intake as critical care does.

I have never dealt with a broken tooth so couldnā€™t speak on wether this was normal, but was it the vets understanding that the only issue was her tooth growing in again?
Or is this a separate issue.

I donā€™t have critical care šŸ˜ž but Iā€™ll order her some. Iā€™ve just picked a lot of fresh grass from my parents house so will offer her that when I get home. The vet just said that her back teeth are perfect, no overgrowth or spurs but she has a new tooth growing through at the front. He said he really doesnā€™t want to remove her incisor and root if possible as that comes with added complications. Her bottom incisor broke in March but hasnā€™t really grown back but she has something growing next to it which he thinks is causing the pain. She hasnā€™t had any problems up until now x

I donā€™t have critical care šŸ˜ž but Iā€™ll order her some. Iā€™ve just picked a lot of fresh grass from my parents house so will offer her that when I get home. The vet just said that her back teeth are perfect, no overgrowth or spurs but she has a new tooth growing through at the front. He said he really doesnā€™t want to remove her incisor and root if possible as that comes with added complications. Her bottom incisor broke in March but hasnā€™t really grown back but she has something growing next to it which he thinks is causing the problem x
Most vets have critical care so if you feel it is needed sooner than later you could always phone up your vet and see if they have.

Is she on a good dosage of painkiller?
Hope she enjoys her grass x

Most vets have critical care so if you feel it is needed sooner than later you could always phone up your vet and see if they have.

Is she on a good dosage of painkiller?
Hope she enjoys her grass x

Thank you. Iā€™ve just booked her an appointment at the vets for tomorrow morning as Iā€™m really worried about her and I donā€™t want to wait until Tuesday. Iā€™ll ask about critical care while Iā€™m there. I think she needs stronger painkillers. Iā€™ve given her 0.75ml of cat metacam this morning. Vet only prescribed 0.4ml. I bloody hate cat metacam šŸ˜ž I hope sheā€™ll eat the grass x

Please send lots of healing vibes for Ella. Vet is keeping her in to have her bad incisor removed including the root but thereā€™s huge risks šŸ˜ž This is something we were trying to avoid. Itā€™s going to be an anxious waitā€¦

I am sorry to hear this.
It sounds unfortunately like this was the ā€œbestā€ next step, as the tooth was giving her continued pain/inability to eat.

My fingers are crossed all goes well today, maybe try to do something for yourself today, like a project youā€™ve been putting off, as I know how scary the wait is and this may help you get a bit of relief even for a little bit.

Back