• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental? Pepper is off to the vets tomorrow

I have been keeping an eye on Peppers teeth after all the trouble with his abscess and today noticed that one of his bottom incisors is loose. 😢. When we took him to Cat and Rabbit Simon said that sometimes an abscess can weaken the jaw. But also pulling incisors out can lead to a broken jaw. Anyone got any experience of wobbly teeth? His weight is ok. He’s not re-gained the weight he lost yet though. He’s eating. But I’m thinking a wobbly tooth will be painful to eat on? I do have some painkillers. Not sure if I should give him some yet as he seems ok.

I will call Cat and Rabbit tomorrow for some advice. Maybe I can get a telephone consultation with Kim or Simon.

Oh no. Sorry to hear this!

I do hope Pepper is on the mend soon. And hope you can get to speak with Kim or Simon tomorrow 🤞🤞🤞

The boys and I are sending lots of love!

I’m so sorry 😞 Simon wouldn’t remove Edwards fat tooth due to the danger of breaking his jaw so I guess it’s true that pulling incisors can break the jaw. But I’m not an expert.

Hopefully the tooth will fall out by itself. I know that piggies can manage just fine with 3 incisors.

I hope pepper will be ok and that you get to talk to Simon or Kim x

My Bill had fat and brittle incisors. Hopefully he has just broken it below the gum line and it’s growing it’s way out and will be replaced by a nice new incisor. Removing an incisor is problematic as they are so long under the gumline and runs along the jaw. Then you have the problem of the opposing incisor having nothing to grind against and then that one tends to grow long and requires regular burring

Hope it sorts itself out 🤞.

Is it very wobbly? If it is you can normally just pull it out. If it’s just slightly wobbly, Simon would be able to remove it under GA. He removed Cookie’s incisor recently for @Lynne G
I didn’t want to move it too much so I just slightly wobbled it a bit. It definitely moves both ways. I’ll try giving it a little pull this evening.

Simon is calling me today. 👍🏻

I’m so worried the abscess will come back as well.

Thank you for asking. I’m missing Edward like mad 😞 it’s so strange seeing the girls without him but I’m trying to remember the good times x
Aw. That’s all we can do after a loss. Think of all the good times. I’m sure there were many 😍

Simon called me today.

He said either Pepper has knocked his tooth and it is broken and it will fall out and regrow.

Or his abscess has damaged his jaw and tooth socket which means once the tooth falls out (or is removed) the tooth will NOT grow back. He has advised leaving it a week to see if it falls out on its own. If not he said a wobbly tooth will cause another abscess so should be removed.

He said he could possibly do it without GA as long as it is quite wobbly to start with.

So not really good news either way.
☹️

Simon called me today.

He said either Pepper has knocked his tooth and it is broken and it will fall out and regrow.

Or his abscess has damaged his jaw and tooth socket which means once the tooth falls out (or is removed) the tooth will NOT grow back. He has advised leaving it a week to see if it falls out on its own. If not he said a wobbly tooth will cause another abscess so should be removed.

He said he could possibly do it without GA as long as it is quite wobbly to start with.

So not really good news either way.
☹️
That sounds like good advice. I’m not sure why you think this isn’t good news. It either falls out and grows back, falls out and doesn’t grow back or maybe needs to be removed. All of those scenarios should have a good outcome! Try not to worry xx

That sounds like good advice. I’m not sure why you think this isn’t good news. It either falls out and grows back, falls out and doesn’t grow back or maybe needs to be removed. All of those scenarios should have a good outcome! Try not to worry xx
I know it isn’t awful news but I’m feeling sad and worried because it took a long time for Pepper to recover from the original abscess and I really don’t want to have to go through that again. Also if it falls out and doesn’t regrow he’ll need the top incisor burring forever. Also I’m worried the abscess will come back.

Then I lost Percy to a bladder stone operation 3 weeks ago which was a massive blow.

And now Pepper again. I’m also worried I won’t have enough money to keep trying to fix them. I had a healthy vet fun 3 months ago. I’ve spent about £1,700 on vet bills so far. 😢

Sending you hugs. It's awful when they are ill and you watch your funds dwindling. Our vet bills are over £1000 this year so far (I refuse to add it all up!).

I know it isn’t awful news but I’m feeling sad and worried because it took a long time for Pepper to recover from the original abscess and I really don’t want to have to go through that again. Also if it falls out and doesn’t regrow he’ll need the top incisor burring forever. Also I’m worried the abscess will come back.

Then I lost Percy to a bladder stone operation 3 weeks ago which was a massive blow.

And now Pepper again. I’m also worried I won’t have enough money to keep trying to fix them. I had a healthy vet fun 3 months ago. I’ve spent about £1,700 on vet bills so far. 😢
It’s unlikely he’ll need the top incisor burring very often at all. Maybe 3 to 4 times a year! Just take things one step at a time! xx

I’ve been keeping an eye on Peppers tooth. Today it’s quite wobbly. I tried to pull it out but it wouldn’t come. It also has a hole in it at the base. That must be the damage from the abscess.

Good news he’s put on weight this week 👍🏻.

I’ll try pulling it out again tomorrow. Hopefully he won’t need a trip to Uncle Simon.

Last edited:
Back