• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

URGENT Sammy has diarrhoea

• Thread starter Thread starter minky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks FF

I hope so too

Poor little thing she said i would need to bathe the wounds as well but until i asked she wasnt forthcoming with info so i presume i bathe him with water & cotton wool any ideas anyone ?

When I had to bathe Badger's wound (it became infected after his second op) I used cotton wool pads. Not as bitty as normal cotton wool. I just used water with a bit of salt added. Check with the vets. I hope he's feeling loads better very soon!

Love Debbie X

h no, poor Sammy. Hop hs fling bttr now.

Hav thy givn you any antibiotics for him ?

I am gussing r th bathing woul b with som cool (boil) watr an th cottom wool. Sur somon will com along soon to avis furthr on that.

[colorr]Minky, I am going to achls on Sun morning, approx 10.15am. If you want to mt m thr I coul lt you hav som pics of Vt b, so that you can put in Sammy hous for to li on which may hlp. Vt b is grat an allows any w to soak through. You ar wlcom to som pics if you can mt m.

Db x

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats very kind of you i already use vet bed but they are the big sheets!

I was gonna put him on it any way Do you know Rachel Wood then ?

I dont know what the antibiotics are until i fetch him in about an hour

Well hes home

I left here at 5pm and got home at 6.10 the vets is 5 mins away in the car

He has 2 cuts one on each side the vet explained exactly what he had done and why these things happen which i though was really good

Ive put a small townel in his pigloo and laid the floor with newspaper I'm not exactly happy about the paper but i will give it a go

He has given him a painkiller called Metacam and has to have 1 drop a day from tomorrow, and another course of Baytril

In fact he seems really well not in pain and is currently munching away on some hay shall give him a bit of veg in a bit i dont want to uposet his tummy again. He did say that he probably had caught a chill and that cud have caused the upset tummy

I have to take him back to his other surgery in Dudley on Monday as he wanted to see him again just to check everything is ok

So fingers crossed that he will be back with the girls soon

Glad he's home and seems well! :D Its good the vet is seeing him again on Monday to check everything ok. Just keep telling him he can be with the girls soon and I am sure that will make him want to get better really soon! :D

Where about do you live? I notice you say about going to Dudley surgery on Monday. I used to live over that way.

I actually live in Tipton now but i am originally from Dudley used to live on the wrenner !

I used to live in Halesowen a long time ago before I got married! I still go over that way from time to time as I have a friend in Stourbridge. Don't go over so much since my mum passed away but I am familiar with all of that area. I was actually born in Wolverhampton but lived in Halesowen from 6 months old til I was 21. :)

well what a small world i used to work in Halesowen on the Dudley Road !

Where you living now then

I use a syringe (without sharps) for flushing. Get a 1ml syringe full of water and 'shoot 'it into the wound and the pus will come out with the water. Afterwards I spray the area with Germolene spray. Your vet can give you syringes.

Is he having probiotics too?

Sending hugs to little Sammy to recover soon, poor little man :'(

karenrgpr said:
I use a syringe (without sharps) for flushing. Get a 1ml syringe full of water and 'shoot 'it into the wound and the pus will come out with the water. Afterwards I spray the area with Germolene spray. Your vet can give you syringes.

Is he having probiotics too?

He only gave me the the Metacam and the baytril, i have 2 syringes. He told me to give him one drop of the metacam a day but theres no dropper so put a tiny bit in the syringe and shot it through the syringe

I havent bathed the area yet is the flushing better than swabbing then ?

Sammy hasnt pooed since yesterday there is no poo at all in his cage

Ive had s feel and cleaned the area but nothing it does look swollen but nothing else

Ive parted his bum area and there a mush there in line a orangey colour

Any ideas ?

No nothing still the same

:'( :'(

Shall chekc him again just before i go to bed nothing more i can do really other than wait and see i suppose

Is he eating and drinking? Does he seem ok apart from this? Badger was prescribed Metacam after his op and the vet said to give him 0.15mls once daily. How much Baytril have u been told to give him? Have you been given probiotics as well? x

Agree with FF he must have Probiotics.

I prefer to flush as you get more pus out which is what must happen before the wound can close. Keeping it open can be a problem but I go back to the vets for that. If he isn't pooing then he's probably not eating enough.

karenrgpr said:
Agree with FF he must have Probiotics.

I prefer to flush as you get more pus out which is what must happen before the wound can close. Keeping it open can be a problem but I go back to the vets for that. If he isn't pooing then he's probably not eating enough.

Other than the vets is there any stores i can get something from ?

I'm struggling to hold him still when i swab him the flushing idea is good tho shall try that in a bit do i need to part the cuts or leave that to the vet tomorrow there is a little bit of swelling but still no poo

DSC00806.jpg

The above is a photo of what he looked like before he had the op to drain the abcess

DSC00810.jpg

And thats how he looks now with the 2 cuts as you can see its still a bit swollen

A nice fresh poo from one of your healthy piggys is a good pro biotic, I think PAH do something though, i'm sure i've seen it in there. Can't think what it was called though....

Has he still not pooped? You need to start getting a bit more food in, how much is he taking in one syringe feed sitting? does he like it?

Right after much surfing i found that i could try actimel so Ive given him 0.3 in a syringe he lapped it up but I'm not sure if that's gonna be enough

He is eating and drinking how about some tomato that normally gets things moving so i read ?

I have weighed him and i am keeping an eye on him, he did loOK a little lethargic but after a cuddle he seems ok but still no poo

My OH has taken my son to the pictures in the car so i cant even rush to pets at home now i did look in there yesterday but couldn't see anything

Should i give him anymore actimel in an or so it was about 12.45 when i gave him but not a lot

Well at long last i think we have some success

I was talking on the phone to Vedra (thanks tio Bev for helping me along) and as were speaking i was watching Sammy he bent between his legs and ate something he then moved and there by him were 2 small poos i havent seen anything since but he does keep munching

so hopefully he's on the mend fingers crossed, he does still seem a little bloated but he has to go back to the vets tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back