• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Thea has a gunky eye

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
For the last few weeks, Thea has had a gunky eye. At first I thought it was dried cleaning fluid as I couldn't see anything in her eye. Then the gunk turned from a white to a whitey yellowy colour so off to the vet we went. Rachel (vet) agreed with me that there was nothing in the eye, she even put some dye in it to check for an ulcer and there was nothing. She told me to gently wipe it in cold tea twice a day for a 5 days (which is a very old remedy for eye problems as the tannins in it are supposed to be good for the eye) as she was reluctant to give antibiotic eyedrops when there was nothing obviously wrong with it. After 5 days of cold tea treatment, it hadn't got any better so I contacted the vets again. Last Wednesday, I picked up some Isathal and have been cleaning her eye (to get rid of the gunk) 3 times a day and also applying Isathal 3 times a day. It's not any better. I have an appointment tomorrow at 12.45 with Catherine to see where we go from here. The added complication to all this is that I'm off to Vienna on Thursday (with @Merab's Slave to visit @Viennese Furbabies) and Thea will be going into Boarding so I need to let Aunty Lilli know what to do in my absence.

Dora has a gunky eye and it is caused by a blocked tear duct. Not really any treatment other than keeping it clean.

Hope your vet can get to the bottom of what is causing Thea's problem eye.

I hope Thea’s eye gets better or least you know what’s wrong and can treat it 🥰

Red's been having problems with a gunky eye, the couldn't find a reason for it this time (last time turned out to be a URI) so she advised wiping with saline. I hope Thea's eye gets better soon.

Dora has a gunky eye and it is caused by a blocked tear duct. Not really any treatment other than keeping it clean.

Hope your vet can get to the bottom of what is causing Thea's problem eye.
I'll mention whether she thinks its a blocked tear duct.

Red's been having problems with a gunky eye, the couldn't find a reason for it this time (last time turned out to be a URI) so she advised wiping with saline. I hope Thea's eye gets better soon.
I'll also mention whether she thinks it could be a URI.

I'll also point out that Lexi toddled of to the Rainbow Bridge last week so her immune system may be a bit low.

Hopefully Catherine can figure out what’s going on. Or at least how to handle it.

Have fun in Vienna (not jealous!)

I am. We had a trip to Vienna booked, then Covid happened. Not rebooked it yet. Hopefully we will one day. It looks a lovely place to visit.

Hope Thea’s eye calms down very soon. Have a lovely trip.

Slave took me to see Aunty Catherine today, I was a bit worried as I've not seen her before. The Vet tried to look at my eye when I was on the examination table and I decided I didn't like her. I turned round and ran to Slave for some reassurance but Slave just turned me back and held me tightly so that Aunty Catherine could poke and prod around my eye! She put some funny coloured drops in it which made everything go bright orange! That was weird. Then I had a funny round thing put on my chest and I was told my breathing was good (which I could have told the vet anyway). After that I had some watery stuff sloshed around my eye which I didn't like at all so I was moving my head around but it didn't stop nasty Aunty Catherine (I knew I was right to take an instant dislike to her), she then announced that she didn't think I had a blocked tear duct. She didn't know why my eye is all gunky but just said it isn't right. Apparently more eyedrops have been prescribed which I can't remember the name of but I can remember it has to be popped in my eye 4 times a day! FOUR TIMES! The Vet said that is was a broad spectrum antibiotic. Slave has to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Yours very unhappy about all these eyedrops!

Thea

Oh Thea. 😞. That sounds horrible. We are pleased to hear that you made it really hard for that awful vet lady to poke and prod you. You must take your own advice and make it really hard for your slave to catch you. Turn your head this way and that way so she can’t put the drops in (not too hard though as we’ve heard that nasty vet people do want to make us better). Maybe a pee or two and a nip here and there. If you’ve not up to the nipping get in touch with the GPFANS. Hope you are soon on the mend.

Love Pepper and Pebble 😍

Oh Thea we are so sorry to hear you have a funky eye! This Catherine sounds absolutely terrible how dare she put orange stuff in your eye, we do hope you tried to give her a good nip! We hope your eye feels better soon!

Love Pepper & Pringle

Dear Thea,
Our slave has promised to have a word with Tessy who runs GPFANS on your behalf.
She is going with your slave and the daddy slaves to visit @Viennese Furbabies so she said she’d have a word.
We don’t think you have been well treated at all but we do hope that your eye gets better quickly.
Love from Micah, Naomi and Ruth

Oh Thea. 😞. That sounds horrible. We are pleased to hear that you made it really hard for that awful vet lady to poke and prod you. You must take your own advice and make it really hard for your slave to catch you. Turn your head this way and that way so she can’t put the drops in (not too hard though as we’ve heard that nasty vet people do want to make us better). Maybe a pee or two and a nip here and there. If you’ve not up to the nipping get in touch with the GPFANS. Hope you are soon on the mend.

Love Pepper and Pebble 😍
Hello Pepper andPebble

In my hour of need, Slave is abandoning me! She is off gallivanting and I'm being taken to Aunty Lilli's house for a holiday. I've only ever been there with Lexi before never on my own. When I need my Slave the most, she is not around! At least there are lots of other piggies at Aunty Lilli's for my to chat too and boy piggies too that I can flirt with (I mean chat to as well).

Yours feeling abandoned
Thea

Dear Thea,
Our slave has promised to have a word with Tessy who runs GPFANS on your behalf.
She is going with your slave and the daddy slaves to visit @Viennese Furbabies so she said she’d have a word.
We don’t think you have been well treated at all but we do hope that your eye gets better quickly.
Love from Micah, Naomi and Ruth
Dear Micah, Naomi and Ruth

Thank you for your kind words. I hope Tessy can let your Slave know how I should treat my Slave on her return.

Feeling very disgruntled
Tha

Dear Micah, Naomi and Ruth

Thank you for your kind words. I hope Tessy can let your Slave know how I should treat my Slave on her return.

Feeling very disgruntled
Tha
We will suggest that Tessy gives your slave a nip on your behalf for her mistreatment of you.
Oh, and an extra nip for misspelling your name
Micah, Naomi and Ruth

Dear Thea

Hoping you are better soon, as for slave gallivanting off like that get, your own back when she returns 😁 give her an extra nip from us four down here in Cornwall too

Love Hector, Kiki, Ginger and Posh x

Back