Stripe and Chesney

Some rumble all day every day, some not much.
You have two young/teen piggies who are in a new bond so you can expect to see it a lot for the next two weeks but the reality is you will definitely see a lot of it for the next year or so

Here's the boys eating their lettuce. Another dry fleece day, the Lixit bottles don't leak! That was so stressful and nerve wracking to have a wet fleece every morning.

I got the vitalicious herbs from small pet select and they like them. I give them each a pinch daily. I also have their calming herbs I give for cage cleaning day.

IMG_20240609_070137006_HDR.webp

My boys check my work when I'm spot cleaning, apparently the dustpan and brush are fun to play with and the hoover nozzle needs to get rumbled at 🤣
Mine hide and Stripe says to Chesney "every man for himself," if Chesney tries to go in the same hide as him Stripe rumbles at him.

Is this toy too big? For scale that is just a little smaller than a shoebox. I ordered it on the phone and told the lady to choose a toy, and this is what they sent.
IMG_20240609_100800472.webp

IMG_20240610_073349156.webp

Stripe is starting to look like a potato. I really think he is smarter than Chesney. I find animals that trust humans right away are a little dumber. Like Chesney and my cat. But they are sweeter.

The boys shared their romaine and foraging herbs without any rumbling.

Next week they go in for their first check up.

Do you guys think it is safe for me to put Stripe's old cage in the basement? I was keeping it in case they had a fall out but they've been bonded for a week now.

It would clear up a lot of space.

You can certainly pack the cage into storage - you can always get it out again if there is an issue.
It takes around two weeks for bonding to be complete but the test is when the teens hit and they get to around six months of age

The boys had their spot clean, Chesney is no longer scared of it in fact he crawled on the dust pan.

He is currently munching his herbs while Stripe lays down in the middle of the hay pile munching away with an arrogant look on his face.

Next Wednesday is their vet check up, I'm nervous about transporting them. I have two large storage containers and two snuggle sacks. I cut holes in the lids. Hopefully I can get them both in the back of the car. I'll test it out.

Any tips on getting Stripe out for cage cleaning? I try cornering him with the snuggle sack but he just doesn't want to go in and runs away.

Unfortunately for Stripe he needs to get used to being handled. The weekly checks are vital for knowing they are in the best health as they instinctively hide any pain/issues as much as possible. Giving them a hands on once over and knowing if they've lost any weight is a good indicator of any issues.
As for the vet visit, it's better for them to be in a carrier together.

Unfortunately for Stripe he needs to get used to being handled. The weekly checks are vital for knowing they are in the best health as they instinctively hide any pain/issues as much as possible. Giving them a hands on once over and knowing if they've lost any weight is a good indicator of any issues.
As for the vet visit, it's better for them to be in a carrier together.
Can I put the snuggle sacks in the container for the vet visit? Or will that cause a fall out?

I'll let someone else answer that as I don't know. My boys have a comfy fleece in the bottom, another one on top (to snuggle under) and a treat, usually a hay cookie. Normally they just huddle together and go to sleep. I use a fairly large pet carrier. The carrier is always out during floor time so they don't consider it a new thing.
Oh and a yummy each for just after the vet check.

So is it ok to put them in a storage container then for cage cleaning as well? I've been putting them in separate containers. It would be so much easier. I'm going to change their fleece tomorrow.

Chesney is my sweet boy. He's the popcorn boy and chutter. Stripe is more serious although he will occasionally do those things, too. Seems like his main concern is holding up the law and laying down to munch.

IMG_20240611_161347347_HDR.webp

Sometimes I clean out my two with them still in the cage and do half at a time and sometimes I put them into a laundry basket so I can spray disinfectant whilst I’m cleaning. They are happy both ways.

I did a cage cleaning today and came back to Stripe lounging on the clean fleece. But of course he got up for some pepper. Here's the boys munching on it. I heard some rumbling when I was cleaning the cage and I got a little worried because they were in a basket together but no fighting.

I'm so excited for their first vet visit next Wednesday.

I ordered a toy and it turned out to be huge. It's a meadow hay twist. Clearly for rabbits but I think I'm going to put it in their cage too munch.

Chesney wheeks when I leave the room, not sure if it's for me or just a treat! Stripe could care less.

I'm going to have the vet show me how to handle them and do a health check.

IMG_20240612_091432095.webp

The coolest thing just happened. Chesney came when I said his name! I've been saying their names when I feed their veg. Stripe did not come. And I had previously thought Stripe was smarter!

Only thing is I thought it would be cool to pet his head and he didn't like it and nipped me. That put a little damper on it, but at least he's learning his name!

I'm getting ready for an eight hour work day. Would much rather stay home with the boys! I got up an hour early to spend time with them.

Chez has the zoomies and is popcorning away. He just bumped into Stripe and made Stripe mad. But now they are both popcorning!

Ope, now it looks like nap time for both.

They actually ate their pellets last night, usually they leave them.

Wish I could stay home!

Do your guys' pigs ever eat their veggies so fast they start gagging a little? Both Chesney and Stripe do it and it makes me so nervous! It always works out.

The boys were eating their hay and I started singing and Chez started wheeking and came to the edge of the cage. I have a fan!

Thank God for air conditioning because we have a hot spell coming up. Is 77⁰ F ok for them?

Do your guys' pigs ever eat their veggies so fast they start gagging a little? Both Chesney and Stripe do it and it makes me so nervous! It always works out.

The boys were eating their hay and I started singing and Chez started wheeking and came to the edge of the cage. I have a fan!

Thank God for air conditioning because we have a hot spell coming up. Is 77⁰ F ok for them?

Yep - one of mine always eats too fast!

77 (25 degrees c) is considered right at the top end of their comfort zone. Anything above that is too hot
They are most comfortable between 64-68 (18-20 degrees c).

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

The boys go through a bag of hay in a little less than a week. It is $13.99. But that's okay.

Just spot cleaned, topped off the hay, gave them their romaine and parsley, and Chez is chutting away. I decided to put some toys they hadn't seen in a while.

Stripe is a little less expressive.

Now you're sure they won't fight in the carrier on Wednesday for the vet?

The boys go through a bag of hay in a little less than a week. It is $13.99. But that's okay.

Just spot cleaned, topped off the hay, gave them their romaine and parsley, and Chez is chutting away. I decided to put some toys they hadn't seen in a while.

Stripe is a little less expressive.

Now you're sure they won't fight in the carrier on Wednesday for the vet?

Hay is expensive!
I'm lucky to able buy in bulk bales from a local farm as have the storage space for a bale. It works out considerably less and each bale lasts six weeks for five animals (four enclosures) with cages fully filled. (You’re paying around £11 per week whereas my bale is £7 per six weeks).

They will be fine in the carrier. They’ve been together long enough now and they seek comfort from each other. When I had bonded pairs, they were never ever separated

Cool.

I bought a little hand held vacuum for their room but it doesn't work very well. Is it ok to do some vacuuming with my big noisy vacuum? It's just a mess in there.

They will get used to a vacuum cleaner very quickly. They might run away, rumble at it or ignore it. It won't do them any harm.

Back