Snacks

What about zucchini? It's something my family eats and guineadad says it's good to give 40 grams daily I believe. I'd have to look again?

The forum guides are the ones we would recommend. They sample plates provides a balance of nutrients.

40g of zucchini (aka courgette in this country) is absolutely loads - i wouldnt dream of feeding that much - assuming I could get my piggies to go anywhere near it in the first place. It’s something a lot of piggies don’t like.

Do guinea pigs really need filtered water. I've been drinking tap water here for 30 years. I don't know how expensive it would be get filtered water

Do guinea pigs really need filtered water. I've been drinking tap water here for 30 years. I don't know how expensive it would be get filtered water

Depends if you live in a hard water area. If you do then yes filtering their water is advisable. Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water and too much calcium and oxalates can lead to the formation of bladder stones. Something that you would want to do anything you can to help to avoid.
There is a genetic element to a piggies likelihood of suffering with bladder stones and the calcium absorption process is a complicated one and obviously we can do nothing about that, but we can control their diet.

You can buy a water filter jug and just pass your normal tap water through it before filling piggies bottles. It doesn’t have to be expensive at all.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Depends if you live in a hard water area. If you do then yes filtering their water is advisable. Most calcium comes into the diet via pellets and drinking water and too much calcium and oxalates can lead to the formation of bladder stones. Something that you would want to do anything you can to help to avoid.
There is a genetic element to a piggies likelihood of suffering with bladder stones and the calcium absorption process is a complicated one and obviously we can do nothing about that, but we can control their diet.

You can buy a water filter jug and just pass your normal tap water through it before filling piggies bottles. It doesn’t have to be expensive at all.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
I found a Brita one on sale for $15. I'll give it a shot. How would I know when the filter needs to be replaced?

So to save time on the filter I don't want to keep it on all the time. Would I be able to fill up a lot of plastic water bottles and store them for a few days or does it need to be fresh from the tap?

The forum guides are the ones we would recommend. They sample plates provides a balance of nutrients.

40g of zucchini (aka courgette in this country) is absolutely loads - i wouldnt dream of feeding that much - assuming I could get my piggies to go anywhere near it in the first place. It’s something a lot of piggies don’t like.
And humans 🤮🤮

Actually my cat has a water fountain that I already buy filters for. Can I fill there water from that. It's new right now and I will keep it clean.

And does it matter whether I get just a sink filter or a whole house filter. I see some whole house filters for thousands of dollars and then some for $20. I don't get it yet entirely. Maybe I could try both but I'm sure replacing filters will get costly.

If you buy a brita filter jug (or similar brand) you can just use it for the piggies water. You don’t need to use it for your own drinking water if you don’t want to. Filters can last months if you only use it for the piggies water.
You don’t need to attach a filter to your mains water at all.
My kitchen tap is a special type and has a filter on it. It is obviously used constantly but the filter only needs to be replaced twice a year.

How about smart gardens. I can see some here for between $15 and $50 some are a few hundred. I would imagine Id have to replace uv bulbs so idk if the cost would be worth what I'm getting in vegetables

I bought a hydroponics set for almost $50 with 12 pods for planting. Will that give enough veggies to make it worth there diet I hope? Also with bell pepper seeds can I just use the seeds from inside of a pepper instead of buying seeds online?

This hydroponics set said It can grow cilantro, lettuce, and pepper. Pretty much does it automatically. Led lights I think can last up to 3 years I read.

I bought a hydroponics set for almost $50 with 12 pods for planting. Will that give enough veggies to make it worth there diet I hope? Also with bell pepper seeds can I just use the seeds from inside of a pepper instead of buying seeds online?

I don’t know more than the basics of hydroponics.
Whether 12 pods is enough to fully replace buying veg I don’t know, it may serve to reduce the amount you need to buy.
Things like lettuce and cilantro need successional planting to keep a supply - to ensure plants are at different stages - some just sown, some growing, some ready for harvest etc. No point in planting them all at the same time as they will all be ready for harvest at the same time, and then you’ve got weeks to wait while the next lot grow.

If you want to guarantee germination, then it is best to buy a packet of seeds.

Idk how they expect me to handfeed this forage when it's ground up so fine. There having a hard time eating it to. The pea flakes and rose hips are better size. This here is dandelion, marigold and raspberry leaf

Attachments

• 167812381257373921528510495990.webp
    167812381257373921528510495990.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 4
There not even trying to eat it now. They liked the pea flakes but I'm keeping very small portions of each. I gave them 1 flake each and almost a tablespoon of the rest

The idea of forage is that it is mixed in their hay.
But, when I’m trying a new forage for the first few times I do put it in a bowl (I don’t use bowls at any other time) so I can see whether they eat it

Just ran into this topic, so I'm going to mention some things I saw a few pagesback ...
Something I read said cilantro only needs 2 inch spacing where coriander needs 10 inches. I thought they were the same thing but I guess there a little different. I'm growing cilantro so I'd say I can fit 6-8 seeds in one of these pots
In the US, cilantro refers to the leafy herb and coriander typically refers to the seed that forms on the same plant, which is ground as a spice. You are looking for the herb, so you can plant closer together. Furthermore, you can plant closer than recommended and thin as the plants grow ... piggies are happy to help with thinning. I do this when growing head lettuce, too (loose leaf I plant dense since I intend to clip regularly as it grows.) You can overseed as well if you're "thinning" faster than it's growing.
I think cilantro might be tough here then and Its not that expensive in store. I do have the pot with no flower tho so I wanna try something that grows quick and I can dry and store that I wouldn't find everywhere outside. Maybe some lavender or thistle?
Lavender is very slow growing and can be a challenge to start from seed. You may want to start with a nursery plant, or some grocery stores will sell herb plants as well, though often seasonally.
If zucchini is the same as squash then my grandfather loves it lol. Not me though.
It's a cucurbit, which is a botanical family consisting of squash, gourds, melons, and cucumbers (and some other plants I won't discuss here). These are separated into different genuses:
Cucurbita - squashes and gourds
Zucchini/courgette is what we would refer to as a summer squash. It is harvested early while it still has thin, edible skin and is relatively soft; the seeds are generally eaten along with the meat. Other summer squash you might find are: patty pan squash (cute, squatty things with scalloped edges in yellow or green), crookneck or straightneck squash (yellow), or yellow zucchini. The crookneck and straightneck squashes you'd likely find simply labeled "summer squash" at the grocery store.
Winter squash like acorn, butternut, or pumpkin, have a harder rind and firmer meat, making them more suited to winter storage; generally the seeds are scooped out and discarded, saved, or eaten separately.
Citrullus - watermelon is the notable one here, and I don't think I need to explain watermelon, lol
Cucumis - cucumbers and melons
You know cucumber ... 95% water, ranges in flavor from almost melony (bow you know why) to slightly bitter. Different varieties will have different toughness to their skin or may be cultivated to be seedless or nearly so.
Melons will be your muskmelons (like cantaloupe) and honeydews. Tough rind (either smooth or netted) and firm meat with seeds to scoop out ... kind-of like the winter squash in the cucurbita genus.
And that's probably more than you were asking for, but now you know! :lol!:

Back