Snacks

Only thing is growing outside is only be able to do in spring or fall and I'd still have to buy veggies from store in winter and summer. I wonder how hard it would be to grow in doors all year round. Would sunlight through the window work?

Only thing is growing outside is only be able to do in spring or fall and I'd still have to buy veggies from store in winter and summer. I wonder how hard it would be to grow in doors all year round. Would sunlight through the window work?
And what about things I can dry and store all year round?

Or stuff I can grow outside all year round. I'm considering trying indoor growing but Idk what materials i need for that and I'd only have enough space for 1 or 2 small pots. I do have flowering pots and soil in my house I think. Do you need fertilizer for indoor plants?

My grandmother had a flower in here but it died. Does this look like enough space and light to grow these things all year round? I'd say it gets at least 6 hours of light a day

Attachments

• 16776942675464163144645108437695.webp
    16776942675464163144645108437695.webp
    62.9 KB · Views: 5
Or stuff I can grow outside all year round. I'm considering trying indoor growing but Idk what materials i need for that and I'd only have enough space for 1 or 2 small pots. I do have flowering pots and soil in my house I think. Do you need fertilizer for indoor plants?

One or two pots of the size in your picture will not provide many meals worth. It takes weeks to grow. So while it’s fun to grow, if you are looking to cut down on what you buy then you would need to grow a lot more.

And what about things I can dry and store all year round?

I'm not sure I can think of much you can grow to dry except weeds.
Its something that we would do with foraging - ie go out and pick nettles, dandelions etc as they can be dried (by leaving in the sun usually) and then stored for use in winter.

One or two pots of the size in your picture will not provide many meals worth. It takes weeks to grow. So while it’s fun to grow, if you are looking to cut down on what you buy then you would need to grow a lot more.
How many cilantro seeds would I put in a pot that size. I already ordered them and have the pot ready so I might as well try. I usually only give them a small bundle each day along with other vegetables I will get. I have no idea how much each seed would give me.

There should be some instructions on how much to sow in an area…at least the seeds I’ve bought here do. I should grow some as well, and maybe some lettuce…

Something I read said cilantro only needs 2 inch spacing where coriander needs 10 inches. I thought they were the same thing but I guess there a little different. I'm growing cilantro so I'd say I can fit 6-8 seeds in one of these pots

Something I read said cilantro only needs 2 inch spacing where coriander needs 10 inches. I thought they were the same thing but I guess there a little different. I'm growing cilantro so I'd say I can fit 6-8 seeds in one of these pots

Its the same thing - just different names depending where you are in the world.

The packet will probably tell you to thin out seedlings to around 20cm between each plant. So in a 25cm pot for example, without anywhere else to thin seedlings into, you will get one, perhaps two seeds per pot, and then allow the plant to grow, lightly picking leaves regularly to encourage further growth.

It can also be a good idea to successional plant Ie don’t plant all three/four pots at the same time. Sow in one pot, two weeks later sow in another, two weeks after that sow in another. That way you have multiple pots at different stages. Otherwise you will end up harvesting it all quicklh and then have to wait a few weeks before you get any more.

I think cilantro might be tough here then and Its not that expensive in store. I do have the pot with no flower tho so I wanna try something that grows quick and I can dry and store that I wouldn't find everywhere outside. Maybe some lavender or thistle?

I think cilantro might be tough here then and Its not that expensive in store. I do have the pot with no flower tho so I wanna try something that grows quick and I can dry and store that I wouldn't find everywhere outside. Maybe some lavender or thistle?

It’s looks to be a relatively small pot so I’m not sure how long it would take for you to build up a store of something from it.
It’s the sort of size that I would plant a herb in, harvest it to use as a fresh herb as much as possible and then if it started to get leggy and not growing as efficiently, I’d start again with new seeds.
I tend to sow multiple trays of coriander, parsley, basil. Plant most of it outside in my allotment but keep a pot or two indoors.

Lavender likes full sun so you’d have to make sure the pot was our somewhere bright, ideally a south facing window so it can receive a good 6-8 hours of sunlight. It’s not something traditionally thought of as an indoor plant in the UK.

I can't wait to forage outside in a couple more months. I'm looking now but everything looks dead in February. I think that was plainatin growing outside my house which they loved. It tasted crunchy and watery like celery. There's lots of crabgrass in my yard to

My house stays at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that good for cilantro to grow or would it need to be warmer? I have 2 hanging pots with soil now.

So I already give them green leaf, cilantro, cucumber, and bell pepper, should I throw in a fifth or sixth daily vegetable. Some I was thinking of trying are zucchini, parsley, basil, and kale. Maybe if it's just a very small amount each day or every other day.

So I already give them green leaf, cilantro, cucumber, and bell pepper, should I throw in a fifth or sixth daily vegetable. Some I was thinking of trying are zucchini, parsley, basil, and kale. Maybe if it's just a very small amount each day or every other day.

They are on a good diet.
You can throw in another veg if you like but anything else needs to be something to be fed once or twice a week so you don’t want to buy something that you won’t eat yourself.
Kale for example is too high in calcium so can only be fed to the piggies one small amount and only given once a week. No point in buying a bag of it if you won’t eat the rest

Ok I'll just stick to these then and occasional forage and occasional forage. We don't get to many different vegetables. I was wondering if I can grow a whole lot of cilantro outside at the right time and either freeze store it or dry store it.

You can’t feed frozen food to piggies I’m afraid. I would just grow it and use as you go. Mine don’t get much aside from the staples and they’re happy enough.

Ok I'll just stick to these then and occasional forage and occasional forage. We don't get to many different vegetables. I was wondering if I can grow a whole lot of cilantro outside at the right time and either freeze store it or dry store it.

Something else to add.
Cilantro will bolt (go to seed) at 75 degrees, so you need to make sure it is kept below that temperature to keep it growing at its best.

No, you cannot freeze it. Guinea pigs should never be fed any frozen foods.

I would not dry it.
Just grow it, pick some and feed it straight to them fresh when you can. Go back to buying it when you can’t grow it. It forms part of their veg portion of their diet and if you dry it, it then doesn’t. You’d have to replace it with something else fresh in their diet and reduce the amount of pellets you give if you start drying things.

I didn't know that when the first bell pepper I gave them was in the freezer I thawed it out. Now it's all fresh tho. Refrigerated vegetables are ok though right?

I didn't know that when the first bell pepper I gave them was in the freezer I thawed it out. Now it's all fresh tho. Refrigerated vegetables are ok though right?

Yes veg is kept in the fridge and is fine to feed but they can’t be given anything frozen (and defrosted).

You can start grow peppers indoors (they like west facing windows most). If you want to put them outside during the summer, they prefer a really warm and sunny spot. They take a while to grow though, so if you want to grow any I'd suggest starting now. They need roughly a 10" pot per plant though. Parsley, basil, marigolds and lettuce all grow well next to peppers so if you got a long trough like pot, you could grow multiple things at once within that pot. 😊

Guineadad for some reason has bell and cucumber listed as 2-3 times a week and lettuce and zucchini are the only 2 that say almost daily.

Back