Snacks

nlkiser198343

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So guinea dad has 6 different treats available all organic and checked for pesticides. There's a sampler pack for $15 to try all 6. They have feeding instructions too. Dandelion up to 1 tablespoon 3 times a week for example. It also comes with pea flakes, marigold, rose hips, chamomile, and raspberry leaf. Are any of these worth getting either from here or from a cheaper source

Looks like I'd get between 5-7 grams of each for $15. I usually give them all of there veggies and pellets at once and then top them up with hay a few times but halfway through the day they want another snack

My piggies like this kind of forage. I feed some (a variety of) daily as I don’t give pellets every day.

Whether it’s cost effective or whether there is somewhere else you can get it from would be better answered by a US member.

As long as they are all safe and don't go to waste. 35 grams of food shouldn't last to long I wouldn't think. I know in summer time I can go pick dandelions in my back yard all day as long as nobody cuts them first.

My two boys never liked any type of flowers. They love dandelion leaf, plantain, pea flakes and dried coriander stalks. Can you get small samples first?

Yeah that's what it is. It's a sample pack of each with 5-7 grams each. So like 35 grams of food for $16. I think it's worth it to try. It looks like that would be about 2 servings in each. So that is kind of expensive. Would it be safe to just buy a bag of any of these items for cheaper elsewhere or do I need to worry about pesticides or anything of that sort?

Yeah that's what it is. It's a sample pack of each with 5-7 grams each. So like 35 grams of food for $16. I think it's worth it to try. It looks like that would be about 2 servings in each. So that is kind of expensive. Would it be safe to just buy a bag of any of these items for cheaper elsewhere or do I need to worry about pesticides or anything of that sort?
Whatever you buy just make sure it is from a reputable source, and you read the instructions and product information first.
With things like natural forage it's often a matter of you get what you pay for.

So is it ok to pick dandelions from my back yard then?
Yes it is. But you can’t feed too much and too often as they’re high in calcium. The leaves are anyway. When we have them, I feed the piggies maybe 1-2 a month. I did collect and dry some but ran out very quickly!

I’d only buy from a supplier that knows animals will be eating them.
Yes it is. But you can’t feed too much and too often as they’re high in calcium. The leaves are anyway. When we have them, I feed the piggies maybe 1-2 a month. I did collect and dry some but ran out very quickly!

So I get most fruit you should only give like once a week but can I give them different types of fruit daily. Like kiwi one day, banana another, apple another. I read kiwi was really good but since your only supposed to give one teaspoon a week it would probably go to waste

Maybe blueberry's are better since there smaller. There second on the best fruit list I'm reading. I've tried apple and banana so far. Only small slices.

I'm also wondering if regular store bought fruit and veggies are ok after being rinsed well or do most people use organic. I don't think I can afford organic.

I'm also thinking about foraging on my walks but I don't wanna take anything I'm unsure of. Is cat tail ok for guinea pigs. I can't really find anything about it but I find alot of it

So I get most fruit you should only give like once a week but can I give them different types of fruit daily. Like kiwi one day, banana another, apple another. I read kiwi was really good but since your only supposed to give one teaspoon a week it would probably go to waste

No. Fruit is once a week only. Not different types daily as that is then not once a week.
Giving different types daily would hugely be overdoing the sugar and risk making them unwell and unhealthy - Too much sugar can cause an overgrowth of the wrong kind of gut bacteria which will cause digestive problems. It can also be acidic and lead to cheilitis (a lip infection which in its later stages can be fatal)

Fruit does not need to be in the diet at all.
So you would be doing them a favour by never giving it.
Mine will perhaps have a thin slice of apple or one blueberry once in the summer. They literally get it once a year if they are lucky.

The best thing is to stick to leafy veg.
It does not need to be organic.

When it comes to foraging the motto is ‘if in doubt leave it out’. It needs to be picked from somewhere safe without the risk of dogs having peed on it.

Maybe I'll even plant some stuff when it gets nice out. Any ideas for seeds I should get for weeds or veggies that would be easy to grow for beginners

I thought this looked good and tried some myself. I gave a little piece and they are it. A lot of it grows in my backyard even in winter time. It must be good because they were fighting over it.

Attachments

• 1677650960364184861989677349562.webp
    1677650960364184861989677349562.webp
    74.6 KB · Views: 12

Mine don’t get any fruit.

How about the 6 things I mentioned before or some of them. Rosemary, chamomile,marigold ,rose hips, don't know about pea flakes can I grow these and feed them?

How about the 6 things I mentioned before or some of them. Rosemary, chamomile,marigold ,rose hips, don't know about pea flakes can I grow these and feed them?

You can grow, rosemary, marigold, chamomile. They are herbs and flowers.
You can also grow rose bushes. Rose hips are the fruit of rose bushes after the flowers have gone.
The ones you are buying are all dried. If you grow them then you will either be feeding them fresh or having to go through the process of picking the items and drying them properly yourself.

Peaflakes are a bought, processed item.
Pea flakes are an occasional treat in any event as they are very fattening.

If I grow cilantro do I just get the seeds and put them in the ground and water them or do I need to buy fertilizer or anything else? My grandfather grows cherry tomatoes in the same area.

If I grow cilantro do I just get the seeds and put them in the ground and water them or do I need to buy fertilizer or anything else? My grandfather grows cherry tomatoes in the same area.

Yes, you grow them like any other seeds.
If it is grown directly in the ground then fertilisers may be needed for some items depending on how hungry they are.

Is cucumber easy to grow?

Yes and no in my experience!
Cucumber likes warmth. So if you have a very warm, sunny spot then they will be ok.
I find it a bit hit and miss to germinate but as long as we have a warm summer they grow fine in my greenhouse

Coriander is easy to grow. You need a lot of seeds in the plant pot though and they need warmth to germinate. Even then the seeds still take ages to get going (in my experience anyway!). You've just reminded me I need some more seeds.

Back