Rivervixen’s piggies

Sorry you are feeling so rubbish still. I really hope you start to feel better soon. Don’t apologise for your posts, I spammed my own thread like crazy recently when I was feeling so crap and struggling.

I hope it’s nothing to worry about with Bruno.

Sorry you are feeling so rubbish still. I really hope you start to feel better soon. Don’t apologise for your posts, I spammed my own thread like crazy recently when I was feeling so crap and struggling.

I hope it’s nothing to worry about with Bruno.
Life can be like that sometimes and you just want to shout at the world ‘Give me a break!”

That’s when our friends get to listen to us having a moan.
It’s much healthier to let all the frustration out than bottle things up.
Hugs :hug::hug::hug:
thank you both so much :hug:
:hug::hug:

2 more honks from Bruno… I really don’t know what to do :( I think I'm going to have to pay someone to take him because I’m getting no better. I don’t know how urgent this honking is because usually I take him first sign of anything anyway, this time is just ☹️

I'm sorry you are still feeling ill and that Bruno is worrying you. If you know someone who can take him to get checked out it may be for the best if only for your peace of mind. The last thing you need when you are unwell is extra worry.
Never be concerned about seeming needy on here (you don't) we all need an outlet from time to time, we all understand. I had a bit of a rant last year myself, non piggie people just don't get it!

Wellllllll! It turns out the "honking" wasn't honking at all and he was complaining about going for a wee all this time. I hadn't noticed him doing it because he's been doing it like away from me, today he did it multiple times right infront of me so off to the vet he's been. Bruno has cystitis bless him, I'm glad it isn't a bladder stone and that there's no blood in the cage. Vet is confident that he's having no other discomfort in his tummy and his plums so big relief but also my poor baby! Time for him to chew on me for a week or so with his medication. Glad we got to the bottom of it and kind of hoping this can be the end of our whirlwind of things happening so both me and my vet fund can recover :) They're worth every penny and more, I think they'd be perfect actors in a loreal advert lol :)

I'm glad you were able to pin point what the problem is. It's so worrying when we know something's wrong but the symptoms are vague.

I don't know what to do :( It turns out I wasn't wrong about the honking, he's complaining about the wee and honking as well. If I'm right the baytril will clear both of the issues but he's just sounding so poorly :( I'm worried sick and feeling like I'm not doing enough for him or that I wasn't fast enough. I just really don't want to lose my beautiful boy. he's still eating and drinking for himself as well as pooping but I just can't help but panic :(

The antibiotics will kick in soon and he’ll be fit again in no time. How can you not be doing enough for him when you took him to the vets and have gotten antibiotics? What else could you do? Give it some time, he’ll be okay :) if he’s eating well still and not losing any weight then he’s not extremely poorly and you don’t need to go into total panic mode just yet xx

The antibiotics will kick in soon and he’ll be fit again in no time. How can you not be doing enough for him when you took him to the vets and have gotten antibiotics? What else could you do? Give it some time, he’ll be okay :) if he’s eating well still and not losing any weight then he’s not extremely poorly and you don’t need to go into total panic mode just yet xx
Thank you, it's just so hard when it's either HONK or sad little wheeee and you're just like my poor baby I can't fix it right now :( he's shaking his bum at ozzy through the bars while eating a little hay at the minute so you're definitely right that I just need to try and stay calm and let the antibiotics work. Think I'm just in overdrive this week, I'm never usually this bad with worry but it's been nonestop stuff and my brain is just playdough at the end of it all xx

Sending love @Rivervixen and hope the antibiotics start to work asap. I know the brain is playdough feeling. Xx

Sending you huge hugs. You definitely are doing enough
The antibiotics will be kicking in soon so hopefully he will be feeling better.
I hope you are feeling better too

The baytril stopped his squeaking when going for a wee, but not his honking. His honking has gone down by quite a bit but it’s very much still there. He was prescribed the baytril for 5 days and the last dose was given just now, should I go back to the vets with him? There’s still some baytril left in the container so I’ve also been tempted to just keep going with it a few more days but I don’t want to do anything to harm him

I believe URIs can take around 10 days to 3 weeks to clear with Sulfatrim these days, not sure about baytril though unfortunately. Though I have been prescribed to give baytril for courses longer than five days in the past. I’d be inclined to give it for a bit longer, especially if you’ve seen improvement as that suggests it was working - but then I’m not an expert

I believe URIs can take around 10 days to 3 weeks to clear with Sulfatrim these days, not sure about baytril though unfortunately. Though I have been prescribed to give baytril for courses longer than five days in the past. I’d be inclined to give it for a bit longer, especially if you’ve seen improvement as that suggests it was working - but then I’m not an expert
Never been prescribed sulfatrim! He did go there only for the painful wees but I’m kind of feeling like I should take him back. Seems to be a different dosage for painful wees vs URI as well. I don’t want to give him too much for too long or anything so I guess I can just take him back, I’m feeling like abbey vets first call is always baytril, seems to be the default option for piggies. Haven’t had to back to killamarsh since their plums have both healed perfectly now! :) x

So sorry you are having such a hard time, :hug:I would take him back if he’s not 100% right and hopefully you will get a longer dose or a different AB 🤞

Never been prescribed sulfatrim! He did go there only for the painful wees but I’m kind of feeling like I should take him back. Seems to be a different dosage for painful wees vs URI as well. I don’t want to give him too much for too long or anything so I guess I can just take him back, I’m feeling like abbey vets first call is always baytril, seems to be the default option for piggies. Haven’t had to back to killamarsh since their plums have both healed perfectly now! :) x
I have noticed that whenever I go to non-exotic vets, baytril is all I ever get antibiotics wise. Sulfatrim is a good one though if they have it, it’s the best option for URIs. Hope he picks up soon :(

I have noticed that whenever I go to non-exotic vets, baytril is all I ever get antibiotics wise. Sulfatrim is a good one though if they have it, it’s the best option for URIs. Hope he picks up soon :(
I’ll ask them for sulfatrim, thank you 🤗 he’s sounding so under the weather the last few hours bless him. So worried about him :(

They can’t find anything immediately wrong, his lungs are very clear and everything seems to be ok to them. I tried asking for sulfatrim and they want to try the full course of baytril 2x a day for 10 days before having to order it in

Got him an appointment for 5:50 tonight, he definitely still isn’t right bless him, he isn’t going to appreciate the extra baytril.. it’s like trying to give medicine to a blender!

Poor boy I wish you luck with the yucky Baytril. My Rainbow Piggie The Ever Beautiful Betsy actually LIKED Baytril she was one straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange piggy.

Hope it works.
Trouble is that very little is licensed for guinea pigs and so a lot of vets are uneasy about prescribing unlicensed drugs.

I’m glad he seems alright physically, try not to worry yourself :) the antibiotics will do their job and he’ll be back to his normal self in no time

Poor boy I wish you luck with the yucky Baytril. My Rainbow Piggie The Ever Beautiful Betsy actually LIKED Baytril she was one straaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange piggy.
She liked it?! Oh I wish Bruno somehow did! Lol he despises it bless him. He will eat metacam right out of the syringe though, metacam junkie piggies are adorable

Back