• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ralfie's eye (and teeth?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
awww Ralfie :'( :'(
Sending you mega heaps of healing wheeks you poor little guy :( :(
For you Ralfie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Glynis, I'm hoping its nothing serious and it clears up quickly, he's still being his usual grumpy self so I'm not too worried yet! I'll let him know you sent all them loves and wheeks :) x

Hope Ralfie is a bit better today, any sign of Stephy getting it?

It's hard to see Sephy's eyes lol she's so dark but no, no sign of it on Sephy as far as i can see. Ralfie's seems to have closed a bit more today but it looks less angry and less gunky, i think he'd been asleep when i checked him before so maybe it stuck shut a bit i don't know. He's been so good with the drops bless him, just takes the baytril no problem, none spills out of his mouth, dont have to towel wrap him and he just takes it, such a good boy :smitten: he's still eating as much as always which is good, he has a little routine lol he eats a couple of pieces of veg, then some hay, then a few more pieces of veg, then hay again and when he's finished he has some water :smitten: the rest just stuff their faces ;D found out that Sephy is addicted to sweetcorn :) she goes mad for it! Ralfie doesnt get a look in with it! x

I am glad to hear he is doing better :smitten: :smitten:
Stephy sounds like a sweetheart, probably worn poor Ralfie out!

Looking at them she seems like a nagging wife lol, shes constantly following him chatting away, he just rumbles and goes in his house ;D

I'm a bit worried about Ralfie, his eye seems slightly better but not much and now the other one has started to get weepy and red. He's also developed a sneeze :( i dont know what to do for him and i'm scared of Sephy catching it :( anyone got any ideas, his eye seems swollen on the inside making his eyebeall seem small, and the other eye is going the same, should i separate Sephy? Please help :( x

I have no experience of eye probs Emma, just wanted to say "thinking about you & poor Ralfie" - hope he's better soon :smitten:

I'm just worried incase the eye and the sneezing are related and it's something worse than an infection like clamydia or something and then they'll all have it :( Sephy's got a sneeze too and a little bit of sleep in the corner of her eye :'( i'm just hoping it's just sleep and not what Ralfie's is :( i feel so sorry for him, i dont think he can see properly out of either eye now, when i put his veg in he goes mad sniffing around but it takes him ages to find it. I dont think he's blind but it seems like his vision is blurry :(

Oh no Emma, I really hope not. I would ring your vet tomorrow and see what they say. If Stephy were going to get it, she would have done so by now so not much point in seperating them I would say.
I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you and piggies, let us know what happens.
Hugs to you x

Thanks Fiona, I'll ring the vets. Really hope it's nothing serious, he's been through enough this month and Sephy's only a baby, plus the other two might catch it because they're right next to them :( x

Did the vet take a smear from Ralfies eye to examine it? Or did she just diagnose conjunctivitis from looking at it?

She just looked in it quite a bit and said it was a bad eye infection then she mentioned conjunctivitis, not sure she ment it developed from that or it was just bad conjunctivitis :-\ she didnt take a swab or anything :(

I would ring the vet and ask about it and say you are worried, they may want to see both piggies :( If you take them in, ask the vet to test for it just to be on the safe side. Try not to worry hunny :-*

Thanks, the only thing I'm thinking thats making me a bit calm is that sneezing doesnt seem to be a symptom of it, i really hope it was just an allergy to magazorb, peter gurney says that dust from bedding can kick conjunctivitis off so hopefully its just that. I'm really praying, he deserves a bit of peace and quiet :( x

You could have a read of this, it was a while back when piggybakers piggys were very ill. Please don`t panic though, it more than likely isn`t but it helps to be prepared with information. As advised in the above topic, take the number of the CCT with you, incase your vet needs any info.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10858.0

I can`t think how they would have caught it anyway as they are indoor piggys and Ralfie had symptoms before Stephy. There is some good advice in the topic though. Stay calm :)

Sorry i didnt mean the sneezing, i meant his eye's aren't 'sticky' as such, well not anymore, they're just crusty :-\ i really hope it isnt, where would he have got it?! He hasnt been out of the house!And i havnt been near other animals that i know of :-\

I havent heard anyone coughing yet, the B's have always done little dry sneezes and so has Sephy, Ralfie did a couple of snotty sounding ones today but i felt his nose and it was dry, i suppose only the vet could dianose :(

Thats what I mean, I thought the information may reassure you. They haven`t been outside so it is most likely conjunctivitis :)
I wish someone more experienced than me was on, but please don`t worry yourself. Speak to your vet and I am sure you will have your mind put to rest.
Off to bed as I am pooped!
Let us know how they are tomorrow x

They both seem pretty much the same, Sephy is going mad lol she always cheers me up, i didnt think i'd find a pig faster than Bee but she's out done her by far! She can popcorn about 8 inches off the floor and she's only 9weeks! Anyway i cant get to the vets myself i havent got a car and my mum and boyfriend are out until 6 and thats when it closes, my mum said she'll try to get out early and go to the open surgery between 2and4 but I'm making an appointment for tomorrow incase she doesnt make it back. Sephy's been cleaning his eye like mad she she's bound to get it, I'm going to take both in. I think its bad conjunctivitis really, because its an inflamation of the white of the eye and thats what he has, well hoping anyway. I'm going to ring the vet in a min x

I am sure once you have been to the vets he will put your mind at rest,and he will get the happy couple on the road to recovery,try not to worry too much :) s xx

Thanks Sammy, i feel really mean on Sephy, it's not her fault she came to live here, she could have been perfectly healthy living with one of her sisters if i hadnt got her :( and obviously poor Ralfies had nothing but bad health since he got here, they must hate us :(

Sephy has a lovely home with you, don't be silly, she's just a bit poorly at the moment and that can't be helped, nobodys fault just life.You need to find some of those guts you had when Ralfie was poorly,you were fantastic,you know where we are if you need us love S xx

Thanks, my mum's on her way back so will be taking them to the vets in a bit. Really hoping its not serious x

Just got back, the vet said she thinks his eye has improved a lot but to carry on with the drops and Baytril for the other eye. She said Sephy doesnt look like she has anything wrong with her eyes at all so no drops for her yet. She said she thinks they may have mild URI's so Sephy is on 0.2 baytril for that because she's so small and Ralfie's 0.3 baytril should sort it out with it being mild, she doesnt think it's anything more serious at all. They're both back in on monday to see how they're getting on, if Ralfie's sneezing hasnt improved she's putting him on Septrin, he did a wee that i thought looked pink but the vet and mum said looked more orange ? so i think i may be colour blind lol! I was pleased to find out that my vet loves piggies and once had 30 :o apparently Sephy is the image of one she used to have! So i trust her judgement more now, she's had experience with pigs and loves them aswel as being a vet :) fingers crossed Ralfie and Sephy make a speedy recovery xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back