• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ralfie's eye (and teeth?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, poor Ralfie has been through the mill lately, i've just got him out and noticed his left eye seems swollen on the inside corner and a bit red :( it seems a bit sore and gunky. He had gunky eyes when we got him but we cleaned them and it seemed fine, then when he had anaesthetic a while back he got gunky eyes again and since then he's had the odd bout of it but we presumed it was just sleep because once wiped it went away for a few days. Any ideas why his eye seems swollen? I dont think he's got anything stuck in it because it seems to be the inner part of his eye that's swollen :-\ i've wiped it with warm water and cotton wool, anything else i can do or should i just take him the vets? another thing i've noticed him doing in the last couple of days is he seems to be grinding his teeth a lot and making slopping noises. It's not chattering, its definately grinding. His front teeth look fine but i dont know how to have a look at the back ones and i wouldnt know what to look for even if i did! He's eating fine and having no trouble with chunks of veg? Any ideas? I feel so sorry for him, poor little thing never gets any peace!
Thanks
Love Emma x

Aww poor you emma.
I used to have a garden Bunny called Becca.
He used to have bad eyes and teeth. Gunk would come out of his eye daily. The vets couldnt do anything about it. I think they wanted to take his eye out i'm not sure.
|We used to bath it daily with boiled water cooled down and clip his teeth weekky.
I'm not sure what you would do with a piggy in that situation maybe see a cavy savy vet? Or rodentoligist(sp?).

Hope Ralfie gets well soon!

x

Thanks Katie, think we are best taking him to the vets, don't want to leave it to get to the stage were he cant eat, hope he's ok :-\ x

Grinding teeth can be a sign of pain or I had a pig with tooth probs that has done it (not sure if that was becau8se she was in pain too though :-\ )

If he were mine I would take him to the vet and get pain killers to see if that made a difference (I give 10mg of Rimadyl usually), if it does you need to locate the pain. Get the molars checked too just in case but if its not obvious it can be missed so don't give up on that thought perhaps you've caught something early!

Weird, if he were in pain I wouldn't expect him to be eating. Is he on his own?

Poor Ralfie! What a lot to go through, what a special piggie he must be to you, Emma :smitten:

I hope he gets sorted out and feels better very soon. :-*

Hmm, he doesnt seem in pain but they do hide it well. He isnt on his own, he has a baby girlfriend Sephy, aside from a little rumbling they seem fine together, they'll happily sit together and she doesnt bother him too much. He seems to do it when he's sitting on his own, its as if he's eating something but he isnt, ive got him downstairs watching him now and he is doing it. Its not when he eats his pellet, its just when he's sitting there, he slops too with his tongue? Oh and he's lost about 20g this week, but since his first accident he hasnt quite put the weight he lost back on :-\

Maybe he's just content with life then? I'd still get him looked at because of the eye thing :)

I hope he's content, he should be he's so spoilt! He thinks if he looks cute he'll get grass, he's lying on his side now pretending to be asleep. I will definately take him the vets about his eye and get them to have a look at his teeth while they're there then. Thanks for the help and well wishes everyone :)

I've just wiped some of Ralfie's wee up and theres blood in it :( will be taking him to the vets in a bit, hoping it's just a bladder infection. Still means even more syringing, poor little fella :( reckon this was why he was grinding his teeth? x

Oh Emma, Poor Ralfie :'( ,it never rains it pours, love and cuddles to you and Ralfie XX

Thanks Sammy, will let you all know how he gets on. I don't really want him to have to have another x-ray and i'm scared of having him on antibiotics incase he loses his appetite because he's still 90g less than he originally was :'( just hope he's ok xx

Aw poor little love, I do hope you can get Ralfie sorted out. Sending healing vibes and kisses from me and the gang.

Oh nooooo! I'm so sorry poor lttle Ralfie isnt feeling right Emma. :( He's such a lovely boy

Thinking of you and Ralfie - me and my girlies send you both lots of love :smitten:

Sorry to hear about Ralfie Emma, hope he is ok. Keep us posted!

Louise
x

Oh no, my poor Ralfie :( Hope it is nothing to worry about Emma, you have been through the mill, I will wait for news. Fingers x`d :smitten:

Thanks Fiona. He's ok, the vet looked at his eye and thinks its an infection, she mentioned conjunctivitus but not sure wether thats what it is or not she didnt say but he has drops to put in 3 times a day and he's on 0.3mls of Baytril for a week. His teeth were fine and she thinks he was grinding them because his eye was causing him discomfort. As for the wee, he did two in the surgery which were clear with a slightly cloudy tinge, so she said it could have been that it looked a different colour on the cloth, anyway she said to keep an eye on the wee and if i find one with blood to bring him back and she'll put him on septrin because she said the baytril would be the first step anyway which he's already on so ill just have to see how he goes. But for now he's hating us lol and i dont blame him :-\ all the vets love him though, they still make him walk round for them :smitten: thanks for all the well wishes and advice :) hopefully he'll be better soon
Love Emma x

Awww thanks for the update Emma, get well soon Ralfie and take your baytril for mummy even though it tastes yuk :P :smitten: :smitten:

:) he's used to it by now! So am i, they've all been on it apart from Sephy ::) i forgot to ask, if it is conjunctivitus couldnt Sephy catch it? x

I know that's what made me think, what worries me more is that she's already been trying to clean it for him today (not that he's been having any of it the grouch) i've told her to pull herself together and not let him wear the trousers but she's besotted! ::) some women ;D

I leave my pigs together, if they get it then they have probably already done so. :)

That's true Karen, thanks. And thanks for the link Fiona, i think that is what he has then accoring to the symptoms. The white of his eye is completely red and there's a whiteish/clear discharge. he hasnt been scratching it though as far as i can see, i've had him out most of the day. I do think it may have been the megazorb that caused it, it was very dusty and they're all sneezing. My profleece came today so will be changing their bedding tomorrow to that :) so hopefully it wont happen again xx

Aww Emma, poor Ralfie :(

Sending him healing wheeks & :-* :-* from the gang.
Hope he's better soon :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Emma,

Glad Ralfie will soon be on the mend! LOL at Sephy she sounds so cute with her older man!

Good luck giving him the meds!

Louise
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back