Progress Report!

He found one, he stuck some tape to some areas where there were flaky bits of skin. They were barely visible to the naked eye. He had to put it under the microscope to check but he found it. The wounds aren't caused by the mites but them scratching. Stripe had a scab too. They both got weighed, gender checked and some mite drops, they have to go back to see if their scabs heal, if not they might go on antibiotics.

Aww, sounds like you caught it pretty early though! Hopefully they'll be free of them soon :)

What lovely lovely lovely boys you have there.

Hope the mites clear up easily.

I've attached a couple of pictures. Their sores. Which the vet told me to take for a comparison to check next time. A few pics of them roaming and peeking.and how I covered up their cage when I first got them. :)

20180113_113707.webp

20180113_113230.webp

20180106_155730.webp

20180112_222229_001.webp

20180112_232328.webp

20180112_222253.webp

Got them out for floor time today, to get them used to the idea. I have put a fleece down and their favourite hides and a new big fluffy hide I found.
They are just staying in their favourite Amazon box hide. I left out food, water and hay for them. I had to get them out because there was no cajoling them out and they haven't got as much space as I would like to dash around and stretch their legs in their cage.
Womble is venturing out and looking around, but they're still staying around the hide area, and mostly keeping to that, I'm staying at a distance and supervising.
I will join them by getting closer and closer each time they have floor time.
I want them to get used to the idea of coming out and stretching their legs. I don't think they've ever had this much space before. :(

Got them out for floor time today, to get them used to the idea. I have put a fleece down and their favourite hides and a new big fluffy hide I found.
They are just staying in their favourite Amazon box hide. I left out food, water and hay for them. I had to get them out because there was no cajoling them out and they haven't got as much space as I would like to dash around and stretch their legs in their cage.
Womble is venturing out and looking around, but they're still staying around the hide area, and mostly keeping to that, I'm staying at a distance and supervising.
I will join them by getting closer and closer each time they have floor time.
I want them to get used to the idea of coming out and stretching their legs. I don't think they've ever had this much space before. :(

Aw hope they enjoy it! It took me FOREVER to get my piggies to enjoy floor time. For months they just hid or stood with a terrified look on their faces. To be fair, they don't do much exercise even now :))

Aw hope they enjoy it! It took me FOREVER to get my piggies to enjoy floor time. For months they just hid or stood with a terrified look on their faces. To be fair, they don't do much exercise even now :))

See I got lucky, Comet loves an excuse to explore and Blitzen refuses to get left behind so they both enjoy floortime, even if it's accidentally on B's part. You have a gorgeous walking mop there @Kellykels absolutely gorgeous. Have they worked out their dominance yet?

See I got lucky, Comet loves an excuse to explore and Blitzen refuses to get left behind so they both enjoy floortime, even if it's accidentally on B's part. You have a gorgeous walking mop there @Kellykels absolutely gorgeous. Have they worked out their dominance yet?
They've been together for a while. :) I think the move changed things around a bit.
I thought Womble was the dominant one, he's the first to explore any areas, I thought Womble was humping Stripe in the beginning but sometimes they jump on top of one another when they're scared.

However Stripe weighs more, he's more skittish piggy but I don't know, maybe before the move he was dominant and Womble's just took the opportunity to steal more food.
There's a lot of rumble strutting going on at night time, chasing but they snuggle up together so they are good mates.

Stripe came more out his shell last night after a week of hiding and occasionally coming out for food after Womble.
He was running around, exploring the top level, up and down the ramp chirping to himself and munching away at the forage I left up there.

So as for dominance, who do I think is in charge, I think Womble for the moment, in one of their pictures he's trying to get his head over Stripe's and Stripe lets him jump on him when he's scared of human intervention. (Me putting food in bowls and spot cleaning -sigh-)

Yup, Womble ventured out for the salad leaves, but they got dragged into the hide and eaten, he had a little wander then it was back into the hide.
Stripe stuck his face out and that was enough for him.

They've been together for a while. :) I think the move changed things around a bit.
I thought Womble was the dominant one, he's the first to explore any areas, I thought Womble was humping Stripe in the beginning but sometimes they jump on top of one another when they're scared.
There's a lot of rumble strutting going on at night time, chasing but they snuggle up together so they are good mates.

You've just described my boys to a 'T'. Blitzen does the sitting on top of Comet thing when he's scared/jumpy, but I'm 99% sure Comet's the dominant piggy and he's just useless at asserting it lol. A move will always unsettle a pairing but they sound like they're pretty darned good with each other :)

My pigs will explore if there's food involved, otherwise they're not really that interested :))

Except Bella, she's interested in everything and the most active of the lot.

Yup, Womble ventured out for the salad leaves, but they got dragged into the hide and eaten, he had a little wander then it was back into the hide.
Stripe stuck his face out and that was enough for him.

Yep that sounds about right! My pigs are lot more active than they were now that I have a herd. When I had the two they were far more reserved.

My pigs will explore if there's food involved, otherwise they're not really that interested :))

Except Bella, she's interested in everything and the most active of the lot.

Yep that sounds about right! My pigs are lot more active than they were now that I have a herd. When I had the two they were far more reserved.
I wish I could have a herd but unfortunately I haven't got enough space in my flat and it'd be pushing it a bit I think considering our flat is supposed to have a no pets policy (according to the management company) and my land lady is just so, so nice for letting me have animals.

I'm glad to hear that's normal. I expected shy. They're coming out of their shell a bit now. Stripe has taken to having a mad half hour before bed time running up and down his ramp chirping to himself and dashing through his tunnels down stairs too. Doing laps, he's done this the last couple of nights now. Chunnering, chirping and little squeaks that sound like someone's washing a window quietly.

Womble now responds to 'Wheek, wheek' he came dashing out chunnering to himself expecting veggies. When he realised human intervention was involved he dashed back in, but was tempted back by further calls of 'Wheek, wheek' and a piece of pepper. He grabbed it off me and dashed into a tunnel to chomp away happily. Then took a lettuce leaf. He'll stay out and eat when I'm placing veggies in their bowls now. :) and Stripe stays in the back ground but he's slowly getting closer everyday.

Some forum members have sworn by the positive effect of piggy manure in their flower beds.
The grass in my back garden has been the best ever after a summer of piggy poop. I had a knock at the door the other day asking if I wanted artificial grass as it would stop me from mowing it. I said I didn't mow it as I had 5 organic grass mowers living in a hutch. He looked at me as if I was mad!

T
The grass in my back garden has been the best ever after a summer of piggy poop. I had a knock at the door the other day asking if I wanted artificial grass as it would stop me from mowing it. I said I didn't mow it as I had 5 organic grass mowers living in a hutch. He looked at me as if I was mad!
That's awesome. :P I'll give some to my father in law for his garden lol.

Back