Problems with Haybox club hay and delivery

I contacted haybox.

They claim as I've changed from blend to soft cut a change in hay can cause stomach upset.

This isn't even right. I normally get soft cut, have done for nearly 2 years l, but then they didn't have it for a while so I had to get blend. I change hay all the time like when I run out of haybox I feed a bag of something random until the new order arrives. Never had an issue

Is there any truth in their claim? Can a change in hay cause soft poo? It's only dry grass, it's not like it's a complete change of ingredients.

I contacted haybox.

They claim as I've changed from blend to soft cut a change in hay can cause stomach upset.

This isn't even right. I normally get soft cut, have done for nearly 2 years l, but then they didn't have it for a while so I had to get blend. I change hay all the time like when I run out of haybox I feed a bag of something random until the new order arrives. Never had an issue

Is there any truth in their claim? Can a change in hay cause soft poo? It's only dry grass, it's not like it's a complete change of ingredients.

Sometimes it can, but personally I’ve never had it happen. I’ve changed hay lots in the past as well. Latest change was from haybox meadow to local farm bale.
I can see that the soft cut could be rich as it is just leaf though. With that said, I used soft cut alongside meadow for a long time with no issue. I’m now using blend because my lot don’t like purely coarse

Yeah I do think the soft cut is more rich. However saying that I’ve fed their soft cut for years now and never had this issue and I’d have thought it would be more rich when it was the really nice super green fresh stuff. This batch that seems to be making Frankie’s poos soft is browner and not as nice as the previous batches so I am a bit puzzled.

Mine eat only the soft cut. What DID have an effect was when I started them on ready grass 🤢. Won’t be doing that again 🤢

I've always fed the soft cut and never had gut problems with it before. The last batch I had feels greasy and dirty? It's hard to explain but it doesn't feel right. I'm fed up with bad service from DPD as well (they used to be the best here) so I'm going to give Haybox a rest and try some other hays. What I'd really like to find is somewhere locally to buy it so I don't have to buy on line, I hate shopping on line.

Glad I'm not the only one having issues. Boxes are arriving opened, presumably because of DPD. The hay is all clumped together rather weirdly and nothing like I've had before and I've been ordering from haybox for a couple of years now. I understand hay changes with the season, but something's changed. Hay feels different too (I buy the Timothy blend).

I think I'm going to take a break from it or mix it with another hay, not just because of quality, but because of costs too. Everything is going up so I'm trying to save money where I can.

My piggy, Autumn, is huge and has a lot of fat. It is having an impact on her breathing but she just eats hay so I too am wondering if haybox is on the rich side. If I put her on different hay, her weight drops, which isn't a bad thing as it does improve her breathing and mobility. She's only a young pig 😞

The problem I have is Eris is really fussy with her hay and will lose a lot of weight when it's changed. So I need to find something she'll approve of too.

ive had soft hay from haybox all has been okay.i think any new hay needs to be introduced slowly and gradually increase the amount.i feed readigrass,farm bale meadow hay.i love orchard grass from the timothyhay co.uk company.hay and straw online company do great meadow hay.

The problem with hay deliveries is the courier, and for most places that courier is DPD. If you're in an area where DPD aren't completely useless (at best) then Haybox is just one of many options. If you're needing to avoid DPD, good luck, because DPD has 90% of the contracts, from experience.

Thank goodness I read about this! I’m currently trying to order everything I need for the animals on a monthly basis at the moment due to financial constraints, as at least then I know everyone will be okay (apart from the veg which I prioritise when I go shopping!) I’ll keep having a look. I have plenty of time to look as the hooman is isolating with covid at the moment! Cat food has all arrived, Guinea pig nuggets ready, just need hay now! Thankfully I impulse bought one more pack than usual on my last P@H run so I’m good until I can be free on Tuesday :lol: I usually go for the soft cut timothy for safety for the skinny pig I had (RIP Gus) but will check out some of the options, last time I ordered in December it was a little odd!

My last lot of haybox soft timothy wasn't as good as usual. I know it's a natural product and varies but the piggies aren't eating it the same. My vet told me it's too rich to feed all the time anyway so I'm thinking of cutting down my order and trying somewhere else. I got a half bale of meadow hay from a farm but they aren't eating that at all! Their favourite at the moment is Nature's Own meadow hay and as a treat timothy with marigold and dandelion, although they ignore the marigold!
I have also had haybox boxes split and open when they have arrived. Their one bit of tape is not enough to secure the flimsy boxes.
The problem with hay is as a natural product it changes with the weather and year so you find something they get used to and like and the next thing is they hate it.
sorry to jump on the post, what is too rich too feed all the time please?

sorry to jump on the post, what is too rich too feed all the time please?
It's really only a problem if they are getting overweight. I would feed two different hays anyway, if you ever can't get one type they are already used to something else. I feed timothy and meadow hay, with a bit of oat thrown in a few times a week.

It's really only a problem if they are getting overweight. I would feed two different hays anyway, if you ever can't get one type they are already used to something else. I feed timothy and meadow hay, with a bit of oat thrown in a few times a week.
oh brilliant! yes we feed soft timothy from hay box and a meadow from happy hay co as staples and then occasionally get a bag of nice, expensive hay from the pet shops to add into the mix!

I'd toss it into the recycling (if it's an option), but I don't know if I'd use it unless you've got no other options (which is fair).

I've opened a box of haybox soft Timothy hay. It's smells musty,and feels damp.I'm not sure if it's safe to give,but dust is coming off it.do I use it as bedding or chuck it out.
I stopped using Haybox Eileen - I found the same and Haybox were not helpful ! I also had a box turn up damaged and damp and they just said it was the delivery company and refused to replace it. The forage from them turns to dust as soon as it’s opened - there are much better alternative companies - I’m using the little hay company at the moment

Thanks for the advice.i do not use them very often,haybox.
I like Orchard grass from Timothyhay.couk.
Get bales of hay from a farm.
I like the hay and straw meadow and ings hay.

I've been getting the box of Excel timothy from The Hay Experts. Not exactly cheap but the goblins love it, so I'll keep buying.

@eileen i would complain to Haybox Customer Services. I'm considering cancelling my subscription as it keeps arriving damaged and DPD just dumped it outside my house last time. Luckily i got home just before it rained.

DPD dumped mine outside my house in the pouring rain ignoring instructions on where to leave safe. I called Haybox and they did offer to replace it once I’d sent them a picture of the sodden boxes.

I went back to Hay Box last week to give it another go. Made a mistake with restarting the subscription as we have less piggies I don't need so much, we got 4 boxes instead of 2! I had a notification that the hay was arriving Wednesday so decided to go to Wales on Tuesday. Halfway across the bridge I got a text to say my hay was being delivered between 1 and 2. My partner dropped me off and turned straight round, got home 5 minutes before the order arrived. DPD! :hb: The hay is a big improvement on the last 2 batches I had, boxes were better sealed and best of all the piggies are loving it.

I still refuse to deal with DPD ever again. They can complain about being busy all they want, which I found hilarious over the Christmas period. "We're so busy please be patient" but they've locked at least Nature's Own and Happy Hay into only using their services, and I suspect there's more out there. Don't complain about a situation you created for yourself, y'know?

For now I'm using Hay Experts. Bit expensive, but not having to deal with DPD seals it.

Not a Hay Box issue but jumping on the DPD bashing bandwagon!

Firstly they split my hay delivery for no obvious reason. First box arrived Weds AM, boxes 2 and 3 were then supposed to turn up in the afternoon. They didn't. So I rescheduled to today. They turned up on time but they look like they've been crushed. One of them has been taped back up so I'm not entirely convinced that there wasn't a spillage and they've shoved the hay back into the box.

I've contacted the supplier (not Hay Box) to let them know. But super disappointed with DPD, they have typically been good for me, but this was terrible.

DPD regularly split my hay deliveries, I hate it. They don't say when the second lot is coming so you don't know when to stay in! They used to be the best delivery firm here but they went down hill just before Christmas and have got worse since. I recently received a parcel that took 3 months to get here. It was a win situation in the end though as the company it came from had replaced the missing parcel, didn't want the first one back so I got a free gift!

DPD are a nightmare. I actually got my first Haybox subscription order in 3 deliveries over two days. I complained to Haybox and the next one all arrived together. However, the most recent one was in two separate deliveries.

I think I may change to the Ings hay from Hay and Straw UK but I will need to know which carrier they use before changing.

i use hay and straw hay,they use an overnight carrier,but i have never had any problems with there delivery.if you order more than one bag they all come at the same time.The current meadow hay is green and soft,where the ings hay is more stalky but good.usually delivered next day,or two days at most.

i use hay and straw hay,they use an overnight carrier,but i have never had any problems with there delivery.if you order more than one bag they all come at the same time.The current meadow hay is green and soft,where the ings hay is more stalky but good.usually delivered next day,or two days at most.

Do you use any of the other hays from them other than the meadow ?

Back