Pellets

Can I provide forage as well as pellets? Or is it one or the other? Sorry for all the questions. I want to get it right

Please don’t be sorry for asking questions, we are here to help.

You can feed both. Both should ideally be fed in smaller quantities. Dried forage becomes the same as pellets if you see what I mean.
I personally choose to feed one or the other though. I give a larger amount of the forage.

Does chewing on the hay help wear down their teeth? They do gnaw on their wooden houses & products by Rosewood. They love the hay cubes

The abrasive silica in hay and grass is what keeps their molars nicely functioning and wears them down.
Chewing wooden houses and hay cubes has no effect on tooth wear.

Please don’t be sorry for asking questions, we are here to help.

You can feed both. Both should ideally be fed in smaller quantities. Dried forage becomes the same as pellets if you see what I mean.
I personally choose to feed one or the other though. I give a larger amount of the forage.

The abrasive silica in hay and grass is what keeps their molars nicely functioning and wears them down.
Chewing wooden houses and hay cubes has no effect on tooth wear.
Now I'm cutting right down the pellets, only half cystease for Squeak, none for Bubble,,, when roughly, do you think the squeaky wees will stop, if it is too much calcium in their wee due to pellet overuse.

Now I'm cutting right down the pellets, only half cystease for Squeak, none for Bubble,,, when roughly, do you think the squeaky wees will stop, if it is too much calcium in their wee due to pellet overuse.

If there is a connection, then it takes several weeks for a reduction in calcium intake to have any effect on the body.

If there is a connection, then it takes several weeks for a reduction in calcium intake to have any effect on the body.
Ok, thanks. I have noticed one thing though. Its very strange, but they tend to squeak when doing poos & a wee together.

Another strange thing. When Squeak had his infection, he never squeaked,, but squeaks without infection. That's what makes me think, its high calcium wees making them both squeak sometimes when weeing,,, unless it is all behavioural, as they are in their pen

Ok, thanks. I have noticed one thing though. It’s very strange, but they tend to squeak when doing poos & a wee together.

It’s quite common to notice this - you’ll find many posts where piggies have a UTI for example, that they squeak when peeing and pooping. The two areas are very close together and can impact on each other

Another strange thing. When Squeak had his infection, he never squeaked,, but squeaks without infection. That's what makes me think, its high calcium wees making them both squeak sometimes when weeing,,, unless it is all behavioural, as they are in their pen

If they’ve got a big sludgy bladders then it can be uncomfortable to pass urine. I’m not saying that is what it is though. Only the vet can diagnose sludge through X-rays and scans. You said that your vet reported no bladder problems.

It’s quite common to notice this - you’ll find many posts where piggies have a UTI for example, that they squeak when peeing and pooping. The two areas are very close together and can impact on each other
Neither are poorly though. Very active, great appetite, etc. Surely if they had a UTI, they would bee unwell.

If they’ve got a big sludgy bladders then it can be uncomfortable to pass urine. I’m not saying that is what it is though. Only the vet can diagnose sludge through X-rays and scans. You said that your vet reported no bladder problems.
Yes, he's all clear, but my other one, is Squeaing sometimes as well. But no sign of illness, blood, smelly wee, etc

Neither are poorly though. Very active, great appetite, etc. Surely if they had a UTI, they would bee unwell.
Yes, he's all clear, but my other one, is Squeaing sometimes as well. But no sign of illness, blood, smelly wee, etc

Then I don’t think it sounds like either has a problem in that respect.

It’s sall very strange, & is stressing me. Both are doing squeaky wees tonight, but past 2 nights, nothing. Just don't understand anymore. 😥

As I said on your other thread, maybe they are just chatting. You seemed unsure as to whether it was even a pained sound.

You’ve had them vet checked and confirmed healthy, so I would sort out the amount of pellets they are being given and see how things go.
If you are remaining worried, all you can do is get them back to the vet and have them both checked again.

Then I don’t think it sounds like either has a problem in that respect.
Both chilling out now, after a little chase
As I said on your other thread, maybe they are just chatting. You seemed unsure as to whether it was even a pained sound.

You’ve had them vet checked and confirmed healthy, so I would sort out the amount of pellets they are being given and see how things go.
If you are remaining worried, all you can do is get them back to the vet and have them both checked again.
Bubble has never been checked, as never any problems, until recently, & its the same sound as Squeak. Maybe it is just me, & they are just communicating. They are so lively, & were doing zoomies last night

Attachments

• 20230318_185431.webp
    20230318_185431.webp
    91.4 KB · Views: 8

Both not having a good night , & yesterday, they had 40g of pellets between them & forage. Maybe far too much calcium, & my forage contains kale, carrot, herbs etc

Both not having a good night , & yesterday, they had 40g of pellets between them & forage. Maybe far too much calcium, & my forage contains kale, carrot, herbs etc

It might be that then.
Make sure to cut it down, and see how things go.

I’d not feed a forage containing kale and carrot often at all. Once a week, if that, as a treat only.
All the calcium is more concentrated in dried forage (obviously only the water is removed).

It might be that then.
Make sure to cut it down, and see how things go.

I’d not feed a forage containing kale and carrot often at all. Once a week, if that, as a treat only.
All the calcium is more concentrated in dried forage (obviously only the water is removed).
I just think, they are not poorly for it to be a UTI, & as I've read on here, the squeaking while peeing, isn't like how they sound with IC. There were never any issues when at work (my care home), & they never had forage. Its just, they have been ok for 2 days, then I give them forage, & they have a bad next evening. Will get it tight one day. My anxiety makes everything worse. I don't have enough money at this stage, to get them both checked at the vets. I've already paid loads out for Squeak, & x ray, scan, urinalysis, district tests were all fine, except for a bit of infection, that's gone. The infection was only picked up at a urine sample test as too much sugar in his wee. Thats another story. When on antibiotics, I was told , yet again, by a rescue manager to also put him on the probiotic Pro C. Nobody told me not to continue using it after antibiotic treatment, & with this product containing nearly 90% sugar,,, the sugar in his wee when sky high.

I just think, they are not poorly for it to be a UTI, & as I've read on here, the squeaking while peeing, isn't like how they sound with IC. There were never any issues when at work (my care home), & they never had forage. It’s just, they have been ok for 2 days, then I give them forage, & they have a bad next evening. Will get it tight one day. My anxiety makes everything worse. I don't have enough money at this stage, to get them both checked at the vets. I've already paid loads out for Squeak, & x ray, scan, urinalysis, district tests were all fine, except for a bit of infection, that's gone. The infection was only picked up at a urine sample test as too much sugar in his wee. Thats another story. When on antibiotics, I was told , yet again, by a rescue manager to also put him on the probiotic Pro C. Nobody told me not to continue using it after antibiotic treatment, & with this product containing nearly 90% sugar,,, the sugar in his wee when sky high.

Cut that forage out entirely then - given its kale and carrots it going to be high in calcium and sugar.
Use a better forage from Piggie Parcels which is just one type so you can see what suits them.
Get them eating a smaller amount of pellets, a lot of hay and some wet veggies to increase water consumption and see if that improves things.

Piggies can be given Pro c when on antibiotics but they don’t routinely need to be given any probiotic.

Cut that forage out entirely then - given its kale and carrots it going to be high in calcium and sugar.
Use a better forage from Piggie Parcels which is just one type so you can see what suits them.
Get them eating a smaller amount of pellets, a lot of hay and some wet veggies to increase water consumption and see if that improves things.

Piggies can be given Pro c when on antibiotics but they don’t routinely need to be given any probiotic.
OMG! Just looked at some of the ingredients on my forage. Sorry, no kale, but one of the worst things for adult piggies (nearly one now,), Alfalfa, there's oat & wheat flakes, marigold, parsley, red beet, carrot, dandelion, plantain, edible leaves, whatever they are

OMG! Just looked at some of the ingredients on my forage. Sorry, no kale, but one of the worst things for adult piggies (nearly one now,), Alfalfa, there's oat & wheat flakes, marigold, parsley, red beet, carrot, dandelion, plantain, edible leaves, whatever they are

Alfalfa and parsley are high calcium. Dandelion is a little higher in calcium also, particularly when dried.
I’d not feed any more of it.

Alfalfa and parsley are high calcium. Dandelion is a little higher in calcium also, particularly when dried.
I’d not feed any more of it.
Its in the bin! Is this hay ok? It contains 0.15% calcium. I mix it with my 5 a day hay

Its in the bin! Is this hay ok? It contains 0.15% calcium. I mix it with my 5 a day hay

You’re not added a link for the hay.
Hay is hay though. You cannot worry about the calcium content of hay - it is their main food - plus nutrient content of hay varies wildly depending on multiple factors including the soil it is grown in.

All you need to do is keep pellets limited to one tablespoon, filter drinking water and don’t overdo high calcium veg (but they can still have some).

As I mentioned on your other thread, if you take calcium levels too low you risk causing them problems by doing so.

Hay is hay though. You cannot worry about the calcium content of hay - it is their main food - plus nutrient content of hay varies wildly depending on multiple factors including the soil it is grown in.

All you need to do is keep pellets limited to one tablespoon, filter drinking water and don’t overdo high calcium veg (but they can still have some).

As I mentioned on your other thread, if you take calcium levels too low you risk causing them problems by doing so.

Attachments

• 20230318_194432.webp
    20230318_194432.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 8
That’s just normal timothy hay, perfectly fine as a main hay
From tomorrow, its about 10g pellets each, already filtered water since December. Cucumber, coriander, green/yellow pepper & lettuce daily, wetted with filtered water, half cystease capsule for Squeak, loads of hay. & better forage. Can they have cucumber forage if they have a chunk of fresh cucumber daily?

From tomorrow, its about 10g pellets each, already filtered water since December. Cucumber, coriander, green/yellow pepper & lettuce daily, wetted with filtered water, half cystease capsule for Squeak, loads of hay. & better forage. Can they have cucumber forage if they have a chunk of fresh cucumber daily?

Yes they can have both fresh and dried forage cucumber. The dried cucumber counts as pellets not as fresh food though

How do guinea pigs wear down their incisors then? You only mentioned molars.

The incisors are self sharpening and are kept in shape by the molars working and being worn properly by the piggies chewing properly. (Incisors for picking up the food, molars for chewing it)

For example, if a piggy has slanted incisors it is typically because they are not chewing evenly with the molars which causes an uneven action.

Back