• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Sundae Is Not Moving Her Back Legs Any More What Is Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
she is pretty lol and she moved some more when i got home she likes our cat princess because of how calm she is and relaxed and she tried to crawl on top of her like she normally does and she did crawl underneath of her to :yahoo:

Poor little thing... I'm glad she is improving! I have a guinea pig named Sundae as well... my Sundae sends her best to your Sundae!

Glad she is improving, the calcium is a good idea, in the UK we have a product called Osteocare which is effective.

I am so pleased that Sundae is showing signs of improvement.

Thank you for sharing your story with us - it has been a real inspiration to me. I have owned guinea pigs for a year now and if it hadn't been for you and other forum members, I would never had realised that guinea pigs stood a chance of recovering from such an illness.

Hi, "Monster", Sundae is lovely, isn't she? That's a beautiful photo. So happy she's on the mend!
Thanks,
Alexis

We have similiar problems with star and it turns out its arthritis. She is on daily metacam and is moving around quite normally.

Do you have a 1ml syringe? You could crush the tablet up and mix it with enough water to fill the 1ml syringe. The syringe it into the side of her mouth behind the front teeth.

sundae has made amazing recovery she is walking again :D and i have been giving her calcium which she likes and she had her last check up today with the vet and he is amazed that she is walking her right leg i think its her right isnt as strong as her left leg but wit the calcium it should be ok and thank you every one who prayed for her and gave me ideas that worked :clap:

You may need to look at her diet and the Calcium : Phosphorous balance. It may be she was short on the amount of calcium she needed.

maybe but she is liking the calcium when its been in the fridge over night and i give it to her during the afternoon when its hot n her right leg is getting stronger

well she just went backwards :( i hope taking her back to the vet n starting up her calcium pills again will help her once more she is my world

So sorry she has turned around again :( any news? Is it possible for piggies to have anemia?

well i am taking her to the vet today at 2:45 and she is moving a lil today hopefully giving her a shot maybe once every 3 weeks

Will an RSPCA vet be able to help? I know they help if you're on certain benefits etc. Sorry I'm not v knowledgeable but hope she's ok xx

Well Sundae is all better now keeping up wit her calcium. But now we have run into a different problem i have with her. When I was giving Sundae her weekly bath i noticed hair in her cage wasnt rly worried cuz ik the shed but when i put her in the sink started washing her hair with baby shampoo clumps of her hair started falling out n i noticed that her bald spot was bigger this time n i thought it was from her steriods shot but then i looked at it closer n noticed she had a small red sploch n lots of black spects in her fur so i looked it up n it turns out she has mange now. I am hoping i caught it in time so that our 3 cats Nemo, Princess, and Daisy havent gotten it yet and also that we will be able to help my lil girl.

Well Sundae is all better now keeping up wit her calcium. But now we have run into a different problem i have with her. When I was giving Sundae her weekly bath i noticed hair in her cage wasnt rly worried cuz ik the shed but when i put her in the sink started washing her hair with baby shampoo clumps of her hair started falling out n i noticed that her bald spot was bigger this time n i thought it was from her steriods shot but then i looked at it closer n noticed she had a small red sploch n lots of black spects in her fur so i looked it up n it turns out she has mange now. I am hoping i caught it in time so that our 3 cats Nemo, Princess, and Daisy havent gotten it yet and also that we will be able to help my lil girl.

Has she got visible fur mites/static lice or invisible mange mites? Please be aware that skin parasites are species specific and cannot survive for long on other species. It would be good if you had her seen by a vet in case you are dealing with a fungal problem instead. All are opportunistic issues that are not at all rare in the wake of an illness/weakened immune system. make sure that you have the correct culprit as fur mites need lice treatment, mange mites a high dosed ivermectin product and fungal needs a fungal dip or shampoo, depending on the severity. If you treat wrongly or with too low dosed shop products, you can make things worse.

thats y i am taking her to the vet monday n it would explain he excessive itching on her back end n the amount of fur she had lost today but there are a lot of black specks in her fur though n she is very sore in the spot rite now she bites me every time i touch it n she never bites anyone unless its the cat cuz its in her cage watching her

thats y i am taking her to the vet monday n it would explain he excessive itching on her back end n the amount of fur she had lost today but there are a lot of black specks in her fur though n she is very sore in the spot rite now she bites me every time i touch it n she never bites anyone unless its the cat cuz its in her cage watching her

Please have her seen sooner! it sounds like mange mites (or both mange and fur mites); mange mates lay their eggs into the skin, which becomes very painful and inflamed. with a lowered immune system they can take over pretty quickly and your girl sounds badly affected. Fur mites sit on the hair at the bum end and live off the soil products; they are not irritating to the piggies.
http://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html
http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
http://shop.gorgeousguineas.com/identification-32-w.asp
http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/photogallery.html

that was the soonest i could get her in i tried for tomorrow n saturday but they were all booked up very rarley do i get in that day or the next n i am hoping i caught it in time to she still has a lot of her fur all over execpt for her back end in one spot it just keeps falling out

Could you please take and post a picture, the clearer the better? We have got a tutorial on the top bar if you need help with posting a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back