• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Misty was at vets..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
His head was tilted to the side and he wouldnt eat his carrot so ended up taking him to vets thinking he had an ear infection and the vet looked at his teeth and ended up cutting them and the ones at the very back are really long and he can't get to them. His jaw his moving in a circle and vet said it should only move side to side. He said teeth problems are really serious and if he starts loosing weight basically it's too late. He's got anti biotics and we went to asda and got loads of his fav foods. Just hope he won't die because we never noticed anything wrong with him until this morn. He's stil talking when he's being cuddled and eating so hopefully it'll be ok..

Sorry, I have no advice for you :( . I just wanted to say good luck with Misty and let us know how you get on.
Anne. :)

I'm sure there is a way to get to back teeth, a few people on here have had problems with teeth (their guinea pigs', not their own lol) and i'm sure their vets have done something with back teeth to help? Could you get a second opinion from another vet maybe? I f he's still eating fine it's a good sign, hope he's ok xxxxxx

Contact Wendi at Thistle Cavies (put it in search) she may be able to help you. Failing that if its a do or die situation let the vet use anaesthetic...

Lolseh,

What area are you in?.There vets around who can do complicated dental work,without aneasthetic,but as Karen said,it is better to let the piggy be sedated than let him starve to death.

What your vet said is rubbish.If buccal pad seperators are used properly,the molars can be seen very well.

Have you started to syringe feed him?,if not you must start asap otherwise his digestive system will break down.Also cut the veg into small slithers and place them in his mouth,he may be able to chew them.

If you need help let me know - I'm only about half an hour away from you. If you could even get to my vet they would certainly give you better advice than your vet has.

Did he cut the incisors (front teeth) without sorting the molars? This can cause worse problems than leaving them.

Kirkintilloch outside Glasgow.
He's cheered up alot we've put Sooty in with him and he keeps popcorning and eatin his food.
And yes he just cut his front teeth.

lolseh said:
He's cheered up alot we've put Sooty in with him and he keeps popcorning and eatin his food.

My vet is in Stirling if you want more details, only about 20 minutes on the motorway.

daftscotslass said:
lolseh said:

My vet is in Stirling if you want more details, only about 20 minutes on the motorway.

I'll see how he is tomorrow after his antibiotics. We actually take him to the PDSA but have money for the others for private vets so can take him to private vet if he needs to.

The PDSA are wonderful vets and i hope to work for them one day, but they will only do so much due to the fact that they are a charity. You really need to go to a dental refferal, i work for one at the moment, to be honest i don't have to much to do with the dental side of the practice (not enough experience yet) but i do know that the vet i work for does amazing things. He does many dentals of small animals, i have even seen him rebuild jaws and do work on the bones in face to help animals bite. You would be amazed at what can be done if you find the right vet.

My advise would be look around, phone them up ask questions about the practice and the vets experience with small animals. Also price between vets will vary a lot, just because you are paying a lot it doesn't mean you are getting good care.

Hope Misty is feeling better soon and they can sort his teeth out

Donna x

awwww HUGS!! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: hope he gets better soon love.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Awww Hope he gets better soon as :smitten: :smitten: Keep us updated O0

Oh dear poor Misty :'(
Love can i just say that i've had first hand experience with toofie probs with our boy Duke. The molars do grow and can cross over these need to be trimmed which ever way the vet can, sadly here in OZ nobody does it without meds :( but i would not have a happy piggy to this day if i'd not had his toofies trimmed. You are better to get little Misty off to the vets for a molar trim, after this is done it can take a day or two for them to adjust, this is when you will need to syringe feed either CC or Science Recovery plus water and mushed up pellets as well :)
Will have our paws crossed for Misty :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sorry to hear this. The advice so far is good - I can't really add much except to say that I always give Avipro (a powdered probiotic) if any of mine are on antibiotics. And critical care helped keep one of my piggies going long enough to recover when he had teeth problems.

Thanks everyone
I know you can get critical care from Thistle Cavies but I think it would take too long for it to arrive. Can you buy it anywhere else?

lolseh said:
Thanks everyone
I know you can get critical care from Thistle Cavies but I think it would take too long for it to arrive. Can you buy it anywhere else?

If you email them and let them know it's urgent they are very understanding.

If given a choice, I would still go for Critical Care over Science recovery.

daftscotslass said:
lolseh said:
Thanks everyone

If you email them and let them know it's urgent they are very understanding.

If given a choice, I would still go for Critical Care over Science recovery.

Ok I'll email them.
He's picked up a bit. I've been sitting all afternoon cutting carrot, celery and cucumber into strips for him. Good job I don't go to school ::)
He's been eating food out of my hand and is now eating his hard food. I'll stil get the CC just incase :)

karenrgpr said:
Contact Wendi at Thistle Cavies (put it in search) she may be able to help you. Failing that if its a do or die situation let the vet use anaesthetic...

But make sure they use the right kind on him, not the stuff to inject, but the gas.

However a skilled vet should be able to sort the molars out without knocking your piggy out!

Thought I'd let you know he ate some food during the night himself. Wendi at Thistle Cavies is sending out CC and 2 syringes today so I can get it by Monday. She said if I can't get anywhere with my local vet I can take him upto her and she'll take him to her vet to get his teeth seen to. He's had 2 syringes of carrot and sweetcorn baby and and 1 of apple puree. Sooty was in his cage again last night and it cheered him up a bit :)

WOOO HOOOOO that's brilliant news love :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
awww what a little trooper :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

When the CC arrives give it for a few days anyway this will build up all the essential nutrients etc.. they need, it's brilliant stuff O0

Well done to you and i hope the rest of the weekend is as positive as this :) :) :)
good idea putting Sooty in as well with Misty :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

awww YAY! glad he's feeling better, give him hugs and kisses from me and my gang. :-* :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Ah bless him, thats great news.

Piggie cuddles for him :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Wouldn't eat his food last night so had to chop it all into thin bits and he ate it all then. Mums feeding him just now with the baby food and giving him his medicine. He's jumped into the bag of basil and is helping himself ::) Was in the run was Sooty again last night cheered him up again :)

Got the CC this morning and Misty loves it. When you take the syringe away he grabs back onto it for more! I thought it would have been a struggle to get him to take it. He ate alot of his food again last night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back