• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Maud is Very Poorly

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Our lovely Maud has suddenly become very sick. Sunday evening she was shouting for her bedtime snacks as usual. Monday morning she refused her veggies and was very quiet, so we took her to the vets. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong, other than reduced gut sounds. Sent us home with Metacam, Cisapride and critical care for 4 days.

Tuesday evening at bedtime we noticed her breathing had become laboured. Took her to the emergency vets (Ashleigh Vets doesn't currently have an out of hours service as they are so short staffed). OOH vet basically useless, admitted they don't often see guinea pigs. All they could offer us was Baytril and Bisolven as she had a little nasal discharge and to take her back to Ashleigh this morning. We wouldn't have even got the Bisloven if Debbie from TEAS hadn't helped us out with advice (she even had to advise the vet on the dosage for a guinea pig).

Maud was worse this morning. Ashleigh have put her on oxygen and diuretics but Aidan (senior exotics vet) isn't sure of the underlying cause of the breathing problem as there is nothing obvious (possible pneumonia or heart issue). They are hoping they can get her breathing better so that she is well enough to be sedated for an x-ray which may give some answers. As they currently have no in-patient cover at Ashleigh, i am going to have to bring her home later, no matter how sick she is.

It is hard to believe how quickly our sassy girl has gone downhill. Please keep your fingers crossed for her, she is only 3 years old and i really wasn't expecting this.

Our lovely Maud has suddenly become very sick. Sunday evening she was shouting for her bedtime snacks as usual. Monday morning she refused her veggies and was very quiet, so we took her to the vets. They couldn't find anything obviously wrong, other than reduced gut sounds. Sent us home with Metacam, Cisapride and critical care for 4 days.

Tuesday evening at bedtime we noticed her breathing had become laboured. Took her to the emergency vets (Ashleigh Vets doesn't currently have an out of hours service as they are so short staffed). OOH vet basically useless, admitted they don't often see guinea pigs. All they could offer us was Baytril and Bisolven as she had a little nasal discharge and to take her back to Ashleigh this morning. We wouldn't have even got the Bisloven if Debbie from TEAS hadn't helped us out with advice (she even had to advise the vet on the dosage for a guinea pig).

Maud was worse this morning. Ashleigh have put her on oxygen and diuretics but Aidan (senior exotics vet) isn't sure of the underlying cause of the breathing problem as there is nothing obvious (possible pneumonia or heart issue). They are hoping they can get her breathing better so that she is well enough to be sedated for an x-ray which may give some answers. As they currently have no in-patient cover at Ashleigh, i am going to have to bring her home later, no matter how sick she is.

It is hard to believe how quickly our sassy girl has gone downhill. Please keep your fingers crossed for her, she is only 3 years old and i really wasn't expecting this.

BIG HUGS

My thoughts are with Maud and you. I am so very sorry. Sudden declines are terrifying. You feel so helpless and like running two paces behind events, even at top speed and doing all the right things. :( :( :(

Yvonne I am so sorry little Maude is so poorly. Sending lots of healing vibes to her and hugs to you x

Yvonne I am so sorry little Maude is so poorly. Sending lots of healing vibes to her and hugs to you x
I thought everything was going too well with the piggies. So much worse because they don't seem to be able to identify the cause. We are really worried about her and poor baby Esme is out of sorts because she doesn't know where Maud has gone (they can't keep her with Maud because she is on oxygen).

Sending you hugs and little Maud a bucketful of healing wishes. I hope she rallies so she can have an x Ray to find out what's wrong.

I can't believe Ashleigh vets is in such a state. I'm so pleased that Debbie was there to help.

Sending Maud healing vibes and hugs to you. It's hard enough when they are ill and so much worse when you don't know what you are dealing with.

The vet says Maud is a little better, he said her lungs are sounding clearer and she is nibbling hay and lettuce. She has been off the oxygen for an hour now. We are booking her in for an X-ray tomorrow. Bringing her home at 7pm tonight. She is on diuretics (8 hourly), Metacam 0.7 ml twice a day and Baytril 0.7ml once a day. Hoping that they will get to the bottom of the problem when they do the x-ray.

The vet says Maud is a little better, he said her lungs are sounding clearer and she is nibbling hay and lettuce. She has been off the oxygen for an hour now. We are booking her in for an X-ray tomorrow. Bringing her home at 7pm tonight. She is on diuretics (8 hourly), Metacam 0.7 ml twice a day and Baytril 0.7ml once a day. Hoping that they will get to the bottom of the problem when they do the x-ray.

Fingers VERY firmly crossed but that is an encouraging sign.

I hope Maude continues to improve and you can get some answers as to what the issue is. 🤞🏻

It sounds like Maud has improved a little, let’s hope so. I hope Maud continues to improve for tomorrow and hopefully you will find out what’s the problem 🤞poor little Esme, she’ll have been wondering where she’s gone, hope they are back together very soon. You could always put the carrier inside the cage if you don’t think she is quite ready to be back with Esme x

So sorry that you’re going through this with Maud.
Hope all will be well tonight and she will improve.
Holding you in my heart ♥️

It's unbearable to see a sick piggie and feel helpless. I hope she continues to improve and send her a shedload of healing vibes and loads of hugs to you.
Take care of yourself

Oh I’m so sorry that Maude is so poorly. I hope that you can find the cause of the problem and she can get the treatment she needs.

Maud has gone for her x-ray this morning. She refuses to eat anything except for coriander, so i managed to syringe feed her 12ml of critical care before she went to the vets. Please keep tour fingers crossed for her today.

Maud has gone for her x-ray this morning. She refuses to eat anything except for coriander, so i managed to syringe feed her 12ml of critical care before she went to the vets. Please keep tour fingers crossed for her today.
I think you got the wrong thread, I've been keeping up with your most recent one and thought I was crazy for a second!

Either way, all fingers and paws crossed on this end ❤️

Oops sorry. I am a little distracted this morning.

Maud has gone for her x-ray this morning. She refuses to eat anything except for coriander, so i managed to syringe feed her 12ml of critical care before she went to the vets. Please keep your fingers crossed for her today.

Sadly the news isn't great for Maud. The vet just rang and said that the x-ray shows that Maud has very little functioning lung tissue. This could be an infection (they have taken a blood test to check) or it could be cancer. If it is cancer we could try palliative care, but having seen her so distressed this week and her refusal to eat makes me think that this would not be in her best interest. I don't believe it would be right to force feed her critical care when she has no chance of recovery. :(

Oh Yvonne I'm so sorry I missed this :( thinking of you both whichever way this goes

Back