Keith is struggling - what age for a new cage mate?

Oh look at them :luv::luv: So blooming sweet, what a gorgeous pair they are:wub::wub:
Kingsley’s little funky hairdo is so like my Cleo’s :love:

Thank you all so much for your lovely words - I really am so pleased they are getting on so well. @Siikibam I'm sure Chanel will!

Last night at around 1am, my other half came and woke me up saying Keith was making really weird noises. Of course I sprung out of bed but he'd stopped by the time I got out here. Asked him what it sounded like, he said he initially thought Alan the cat had a bird on the roof. so I said look up guinea pig chirping - and that's what it was! Gutted I missed it as I've never heard it first hand before, but how lovely Keith was just sat there chirping away!

EDIT: Just read it can mean many things but mostly not good; stress, loss of a loved one, or fear.. I always thought it was a happy sound! Keith certainly didn't look stressed out..!

My boys have chirped before. Admittedly the first time I was scared to go check because I thought a bird had become trapped inside the house. I sent my husband instead 🙄🤣 soon as he started on the stairs it stopped. That time it was Fudge who chirped another time and I caught him. Toffee chirped while I was away. Husband caught him.

Oh my poor boy Keith, he is definitely still grieving. Kingsley is helping but Keith just seems sad.

the vet gave him a once over yesterday and he seems well and healthy, he is eating (lots of hay), drinking, and weighing well (still weighing daily), but his sparkle has definitely diminished a lot since we lost Gibson. He is cherishing lap time at the moment so he's getting double! the only time he has perked up is when he came across Gibson's scarf while out during a cage clean (Gibson had a particular snood he liked to curl up in, and I can't bring myself to wash it just yet).. Poor Keith seems just a bit lost without his old man around.. and poor Kingsley doesn't know what to do to make it better (he is trying, always being with Keith, although this morning, for the first time, they were asleep in separate areas).

Other than keeping an eye on him, cuddling and reassuring him, is there anything else I can do for my poor Keith?

Bless him poor little Keith.
When my RB Jess lost her best mate Rupert (my avatar piggies) after over 6 years together she was utterly miserable and stopped eating properly, until Luigi moved in. But to be honest she never really got her ‘spark’ back after losing him, was a bit of a quieter girl than she had been for years. Some piggies definitely grieve a lot when they’ve lost such a beloved friend like Keith has. You’re doing such a lot for him, and having a friend has obviously helped a lot, I really hope he feels better soon but he may just still be in that grieving phase bless him and need some time. Sending massive hugs to you all ❤️ x

Aw thank you - and sorry Jess wasn't quite the same, but I'm sure Luigi helped no end.

I'm just off to get some new tunnels and hides, try and mix things up a bit.. I feel so sorry for them both, Kinglsey also recently lost his buddy so they're both in the same boat, really, but I think Kinglsey, being in an entirely new environment, is probably a bit better placed to start over.

I'll keep up with the extra cuddles and hope Keith accepts things more with time.. Thank you x

Yes she definitely chirped up a lot with that noisy, humpy teenager around like he was back then!
Hope it all helps and he likes his new things, Kingsley too! Sure they’ll help each other bless them :):love:
Hope he enjoys his extra cuddles too (and you!) x

Sorry Keith isn’t quite himself. I guess even though he has the company of lovely Kingsley, he’s not quite Gibson, if that makes sense. I hope he will feel better soon and start to live his life fully again. I am sure those cuddles are a comfort to him as well as you 🙂

I think I spoke too soon…

Since after dinner, so about 6pm, Kingsley has been constantly chasing and mounting Keith. Thank n used to this but it has been going on for 6 hours. Poor Keith is exhausted and panting, and Kingsley’s ears have gone red he’s so hot!

I’ve put a divider in the cage but it’s a solid panel rather than a regular grid (I don’t have any of those left). They are both chatting away and Kingsley is trying to bite through the solid panel.

I just don’t know what to do.

No blood has been drawn, but I don’t think it’d have been long. I’ve never seen such constant chasing and mounting, and I honestly thought it was going to do Keith in.

Obviously happens on the night Before I go in to hospital, too! So I’m currently sat in the pig room trying to convince myself I’ve done the right thing.

I know it’s late but I’m hopeful someone might be online to offer some advice! 😣

You have absolutely done the right thing.
Hang in there - they will settle, but a break won't do them any harm at this point.
If you don't have a spare grid what about a cooling rack (the sort you put cakes on when they come out of the oven).
I am not an expert, but I think it's better if they can still see each other.
But if a solid divider is all you have then that's fine too.

I'm so sorry. Hopefully Kingsley is just having a strong hormone surge and he will calm down. This has happened to me and mine and they have rebonded in a neuteral territory the next day. I've also had it happen that they wouldn't rebond and have had to live with a divider permanently. I am not an expert but I would say leave them devided until you are home again and well enough to do a trial rebond.

Thank you both. I feel much better about my decision now / thank you!

I will have to leave them overnight and probably until at least 4pm tomorrow before I try rebinding them. Just sitting here now trying to see where I can get some regular grids from in a cage reshuffle.. possibly the roof in one side..

Bloomin’ boys!

They’ve both settled now and are sleeping. Fingers crossed for a rebond tomorrow I guess!

I hope all goes well at the hospital.
There's lots of info in the guides here that you will find useful
Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides
I did link some specific ones before and wrote more about side by side living etc. if they don't go back together link me in again and I'll reply. For some reason my whole answer (and my corrected spellings!) didn't post. I'm tired and my brains gone to sleep, not sure where it went wrong!

So sorry the little men have had a fall out, fingers crossed 🤞 they will rebond soon, niw they have had a chance to settle down. I had this happen once with Bill and Ted when we moved them into a huge rabbit hutch that we got off my step daughter. I don’t know why but they really fell out. We separated them for a day and they rebonded fine with no problems, so I hope this happens for you and lovely Keith. probably just a huge hormone spike 🙄

Thanks, @Piggies&buns They’ve just gone back in.. cleaned the cage and put new bedding in.

Kingsley is asleep and Keith is eating, really hope it was just a blip!

Young adult boars can still experience the odd hormone spike but it generally doesn't lead to a permanent fall out.
They usually go just back together again as if nothing has happened after a cool down period with a separator.

Back