• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

impacted bum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do keep a face mask a little paper one for when I'm spraying and use this if i know its a bad one, ugh the smell could clear Harrods on sale day in one second

michellemuffin said:
I do keep a face mask a little paper one for when I'm spraying and use this if i know its a bad one, ugh the smell could clear Harrods on sale day in one second

lmao!!!

Buppi said:
My friend got in an rescue neutered boar with that problem. Though he couldnt do anything at all himself. Had to clean him out every day. Wed try treatment for a week recommended by our vet but didnt get better and wed put him to sleep. he didnt like us cleaning him at all so wed decided hed be better off passing the rainbow bridge not being uncomfy every single day for the rest of his life.

My opinion, but I think that was a bit too drastic. Impactation causes discomfort and a little pain, but I don't see the need in euthanasia for it

kellyandpiggies said:
Buppi said:
My friend got in an rescue neutered boar with that problem. Though he couldnt do anything at all himself. Had to clean him out every day. Wed try treatment for a week recommended by our vet but didnt get better and wed put him to sleep. he didnt like us cleaning him at all so wed decided hed be better off passing the rainbow bridge not being uncomfy every single day for the rest of his life.

My opinion, but I think that was a bit too drastic. Impactation causes discomfort and a little pain, but I don't see the need in euthanasia for it

yeah I thought that too

Sars1359 said:
kellyandpiggies said:
Buppi said:

yeah I thought that too

Obviously I don't know the individual boar, but I'd agree impaction isn't a death sentence, or shouldn't be. I had an old cantankerous boar who for the last year of his life needed his bottom "attended to." He didn't like it but it only took minutes and the rest of the time he was a happy old pig :)

Guineas with impaction problems, never, in my experience get better, or improve, though much can be done to keep them comfortable. The only reason I would consider euthanasia is if the guinea pig was so wild and got so stressed that I felt it was sufferring. I can't really imagine that scenario with the average impaction, but each animal is different and has to be treated as such.

A point of note....Years ago I took in an unwanted boar who had "turned vicious." On examination, he had what looked like a swollen and infected penis. Obviously rang vet, made an appointment and decided to gently bathe him with warm saline to make him more comfortable while waiting to see vet.
Hubby held him while I gently cleaned and bathed the area. I had only just started when guinea struggled, squealed and went limp...he died in my husbands hands. I was left shocked and in tears, I had never seen this happen before, the guinea must have just become so stressed. But as my vet said, if it hadn't happened at home, it would have probably died in the surgery when he examined it.

I just mention this to highlight the fact that some guineas, especially from a background where they have not been loved and picked up, do not tolerate this type of handling well. As I unfortunately experienced. So...it is probably best that we (including myself and generalising) are not too hard on people who opt for euthanasia with this type of animal :-\

Barbara

Sars1359 said:
aww hell I'm sorry to hear about the piggy Barbara :'(

Thank you, it really was one **** of a shock and I wished I had left him alone, but I guess we do what we think is best at the time :(
I lay him down and tried to "resuscitate" him, just pushing his chest really, he gasped a few times but his heart had stopped, I suppose I knew I was wasting my time, but it was just so awful and I felt I had killed him, which in some ways I suppose I had.
This is the first time I have ever really spoken publically about this, probably because I still feel so bad. But I learnt a hard lesson at this guineas expense, even though I know that my vet was right and the guinea would have probably died at the surgery.
I'll never know though :-\

Barbara

That's so sad Barbara..... All of us can only do what we feel is best at the time based on what we know and our experiences. If I had been in your position, I too would have done what you did, it is certainly not your fault. It was obviously just his time and like you said, when ever any of us take on rescues, we never fully know the history.

Jeeze Barbara what a thing to happen , its wonder it did'nt put you off rescuing them, but as the vet said it could have happened to him,
one thing I do disagree with is that some impacted boars do get better (not permantly I might add) but Ginger who had it since around 18 months could go months not needing doing then I would notice the bulge and have a few months of doing the business again, this has also happend to Dobby he can go a week or so before needing doing, no idea why but it does'nt mean they need doing every day of their life , and I would not have any boys with this problem PTS despite it not liking having it done, if I can put up with doing it then I;'m sure he can put up with it for a few seconds ( after years of practice) and then a popcorn after its done is a brilliant reward,

aw thats afwell barbara, but you know deep down it wasnt youre fault , doesnt mean its less of a shock tho :'(
i use to have an impacted boar , boris , bless him he was 4 1/2 yrs old stunning abby & from a rescue & had spet his life on his own because of it, its a horrible job , but at the end of the day one i chose to do willingly to give him quailty of life, i found a bit of banana & bran fleakes now and again helped & he was sooooo happy once he had company ( he had been neutered at a younge age) he got on with two of my older girls so well & you could see the change in him , he only needed doing twice a week & i use to give him a gentle squirt with the shower attachment once a week, he sat there good as gold :'(
sadly i lost boris in the summer, woke up one morning to find him dead in his cage, but we loved him to bits & i miss his sweet charcter even now , we use to 'chat' about stuff as i cleaned him out to take our mind off it ! & he use to look at me as if to agree or disagree, hopefully i gave him some happiness in his final years, after a lifetime of being on his own , but i do miss him , reading this thread brought it all back :-\

I think we miss individual pigs for different reasons I msiss Ginger becasue he too was impacted for years and I got close to him while doing this business as i call it and I know what you mean about chatting to them while cleaning them out, I've sorted out many a problem with my pigs help lol

mums just checked Fudges impacted butt and after 4 days of last ebing checked it hardly needed touching,maybe its clearing up :o :o

This is something I've never had to deal with until today! Noticed Badger was having a bit of trouble pooing and when I investigated there was quite a lump there!

He really didn't like me sorting it out! Can't say I really enjoyed it! LOL

He is looking much happier now though! :D :D :D

furryfriends said:
This is something I've never had to deal with until today! Noticed Badger was having a bit of trouble pooing and when I investigated there was quite a lump there!

He really didn't like me sorting it out! Can't say I really enjoyed it! LOL

He is looking much happier now though! :D :D :D

you poor loves! Tonni doesn't mind too much - Mike 'sorts' him out these days as I have fairly long nails ;) But still get the awful smell!

Such a wonderful relief on their faces when it's all over!

eugh! and how! Peter Gurney says to offer it back to them - Pookie just looks at me as if to say "Would You"? ?

piglover said:
eugh! and how! Peter Gurney says to offer it back to them - Pookie just looks at me as if to say "Would You"? ?

LMFAOOOOOOO

as quickly as possible if you are like me the smell could clear a football stadium in 2 seconds cant imagine anything more lethal then that smell, :o

michellemuffin said:
as quickly as possible if you are like me the smell could clear a football stadium in 2 seconds cant imagine anything more lethal then that smell, :o
LMFAO

michellemuffin said:

LMAO agree with you!

Sars1359 said:
I think its just gotta be the worse smell in the whole world :o
I work for the nhs, i bet i've smelt worse! Not me personally before anyone says. ;D
piglover said:
LMAO at that!

darkest.dreaming said:
Sars1359 said:
I think its just gotta be the worse smell in the whole world :o
I work for the nhs, i bet i've smelt worse! Not me personally before anyone says. ;D

haha glad you corrected that ;) ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back