• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

impacted bum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
we had to clean Fudges butt again today,I hate doing it as it totally stinks but poor guy was so bunged up.guess its gotta be something we've gotta keep doing all the time now
( Fudge was a rescue piggy and came with his bum like that,it mustve been so uncomfortable)

I wish there was something we could do to stop it continually being like that :(

Tonni has been like this for a few years now, but what I have found to make a little easier is to give banana 3 days continuous every other week. He gets 'cleared' less often now as his poops are a little more softer and ease out on their own :)

I was told by Vedra of the CCT that it helped if after "cleaning them out" - You smear a little KY gel inside the anal sac. It's important not to use anything else but KY gel, or you may exacerbate the problem.

I've never personally found that diet makes any difference, but I'll try giving the banana to my boy who has problems. He actually does like it, so he won't take much persuading to eat it :)

Barbara

yes that is true, but depending on experience. I have used it for many years with no problems :)

daftscotslass said:
I was recommended by my vet and on another forum to go easy on banana as it can cause serious constipation if fed in excess.

That's possibly because they are relatively high in fibre?
I wouldn't think they would pose a big problem if just a slice was fed over a 3 day period? To be honest Toffee (and some of the other guins like it too) often has a little piece of banana and It's never caused a problem.
Whether his imapction would be worse if I stopped feeding it, I don't know?

I've never heard about this before, but thanks for sharing :)

Yeah it's cos of the fibre, and I've heard it before, but think if the diet is not just banana then it doesn't pose a problem.

kellyandpiggies said:
Yeah it's cos of the fibre, and I've heard it before, but think if the diet is not just banana then it doesn't pose a problem.

I would have thought that a guineas digestive system would be able to cope with the fibre anyway? Guess it is like anything, it's all about moderation ;)

Sars1359 said:
Looks like its the KY theory to start with then ?

I use it...well not personally... and yes I do think it helps Toffee.

Do check with Vedra though as ideas change at the CCT, but she did advise it for one of my past boys.

cavykind said:
Sars1359 said:
Looks like its the KY theory to start with then ?

I use it...well not personally... and yes I do think it helps Toffee.

Do check with Vedra though as ideas change at the CCT, but she did advise it for one of my past boys.

lol I got weird images then
*coughs*
anywayyyyyyyyy any advice helps,I'm just not looking forward to trying it :o

its got to be about the worst smell ever has'nt it ? :-[ but mine have banana and in their skins now and again with no problems, I jsut slice up a few for each run so they only get maybe 2 slices each, they love it, my darling ginger had impaction fromt eh age of 18 months unitl he died nearly 5 this year, he would let me know when he wanted a clean out by standing on the side of the run with his head high, dobby gets it now and again but i did find they can go for months with no problem then its back again, I also found a warm bath energised him as they were cleaned out and fresh the yuk floated out ugh! sorry. but ginger loved having a bath

Vra tol m to us th showr attachmnt to [colorr]gntly an [colorr]carfully "flush" out th anal sac ::)
I on't n to o this for Toff, but my ol nutr boar, Barnaby n this oing, hubby still osn't know I us th showr for this :-X
I i us to sit Barnaby in a bowl though...it wasn't plasant.

[colorr]* Again plas chck that this is still avis as I was givn this avic a goo fw yars ago an ias chang.

Barbara

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the best way of clenaing him out was to gently push it out (holding your breath lol) then hold him gently under the running warm tap fingers under it as well to check on temp fluctuations, this then sluises it out best though is a warm bath it just floats out,

michellemuffin said:
I found the best way of clenaing him out was to gently push it out (holding your breath lol) then hold him gently under the running warm tap fingers under it as well to check on temp fluctuations, this then sluises it out best though is a warm bath it just floats out,

Same here when it happens :)

Going to ask a silly question but what are the signs of an impacted bum?

I know what causes it etc but how do you know when it is an issue? Is it the absence of normal poops in the cage or is when they stop reaching down to their sac to eat the nutritious ones? I am on the lookout for this condition in my boys and to be honest, I don't know what to look for. Do they show signs of any swelling, listlessness etc?

we cleaned it out again last night and showered his butt afterwards in warm water,just before dad had a shower...mwahahah
*coughs*
anyway...
Fudges butt tends to bulge around the opening and it feels like a hardish lump and sometimes you can see the poo all gathered round inside the opening :(

good discription you can see the bulge I first thought i had a big boy years ago when I first saw it,

I've had to do this once on one of my boars, OMG, never smelt anything so rank in my life *heave*!

you mean " major heave " it kinda sticks up yer nose for a day or two :o :-\

oh dear. this doesn't sound pleasant. how often do you do it? i have three boys... what are the chances I'll be doing it one day? :D

well mums done Fudge twice a week,sometimes more :(
I feel so sorry for him,it must be damn uncomfortable

I've heard that feeding bran can help.

Bananas are fine for guineas, they like the skin too, but only feed it to them if you buy organic bananas as the pesticides used on bananas are dreadful :(

My friend got in an rescue neutered boar with that problem. Though he couldnt do anything at all himself. Had to clean him out every day. Wed try treatment for a week recommended by our vet but didnt get better and wed put him to sleep. he didnt like us cleaning him at all so wed decided hed be better off passing the rainbow bridge not being uncomfy every single day for the rest of his life.

Once impaction sets in, it is usually with the pig for the rest of his life. Diet won't particularly make any difference. As you know, piggies produce two kinds of droppings, the normal pellets that you see all over the cage and smaller softer ones that the piggy takes directly from his bum and eats. Impaction sets in when the muscles in the rectum and anal sac become weak and loose and so the pig cannot expel the soft pellets that it would normally eat. These soft pellets then congeal into a solid mass, blocking the anal sac and not allowing the normal pellets to be expelled. You will often find that when cleaning out an impacted boar that normal pellets will fall out after the soft pellet mass has been removed. Boars suffering with impaction have to have their diets monitored and possibly supplemented as they won't be getting the nutrition that they would get from eating the soft pellets.
And yes, it does stink to high heaven when you clean them out ;D. I've only had a couple of boars with the problem and I would clean them out outside.

Kat

KatsCavies said:
Once impaction sets in, it is usually with the pig for the rest of his life. Diet won't particularly make any difference. As you know, piggies produce two kinds of droppings, the normal pellets that you see all over the cage and smaller softer ones that the piggy takes directly from his bum and eats. Impaction sets in when the muscles in the rectum and anal sac become weak and loose and so the pig cannot expel the soft pellets that it would normally eat. These soft pellets then congeal into a solid mass, blocking the anal sac and not allowing the normal pellets to be expelled. You will often find that when cleaning out an impacted boar that normal pellets will fall out after the soft pellet mass has been removed. Boars suffering with impaction have to have their diets monitored and possibly supplemented as they won't be getting the nutrition that they would get from eating the soft pellets.
And yes, it does stink to high heaven when you clean them out ;D. I've only had a couple of boars with the problem and I would clean them out outside.

Kat

stink is an understatement,lol
I think its gas masks all around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back