Hot weather warning for the UK - Member questions and heatwave feedback

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Please plan now for the coming hot days!

Here are just some important measures but there are lots more. Please read our advice; we'd rather not need to help you with your piggies suffering from overheating, heat stroke and any resulting loss of appetite but with help you with getting your piggies safely through the coming heat spike and this summer and avoid any emergencies.

Please make sure that you never let your piggies come into direct contact with ice and the full blast of fans and air cons and that double shade is no protection from a full-on sunheated breeze blowing into the shade.
1655381055827.png

Keeping your piggies cool
- Give your long-haired piggies a welcome summer haircut so they are not lugging the equivalent of a skisuit around a tropical beach. They will be ever so grateful to you; and you can easily prevent the higher risk of overheating for long-hairs.
Our hair cutting guide has both videos and pictures to show you how to best go about it: An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

- Put your hot weather measures in place NOW.
Please keep in mind that just one measure may not be enough but that lots of little measures that do not cost much and do not impact on the environment as badly are actually very effective in combination - and that you can also profit from a cooler room/flat/house as much as your piggies!
DSCN4492.JPG
Of one the lowest impact/cost and most effective ways of keeping indoors temperatures down is not the most sightly but it is a good way of recycling old bedding to keep the sun off your window glass on the sunny side. In temperatures over 30 C I also soak the sheets with water (if needed repeatedly); when it evaporates, it creates an insulating layer of cool air between the sheets and the windows, keeping indoors temperatures up to 10 C / 20 F lower than outside - without using any extra electricty. The piggy room is behind the blue sheet.
For temperatures over 30 C, we also have bed sheets to cover our upstairs windows at least partially. We fix them by catching them between the opening window panes and the frames. Especially if you do not curtains in your rooms but can still open windows, it is worth a try.

LOTS of practical little tips for both cages and rooms can be found in our hot weather guide - we have listed all possible tips we have come across and tested them for ourselves as to whether they really work: Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

- Hutches and sheds: Please bring your piggies indoors during heat spikes - hutches and sheds can become quickly death traps. The temperature inside a hutch is ca. 10 degrees higher than outside. In a pinch, a bathtub or shower floor with an old towel will do but here are more tips on improvised accommodation: Temporary Housing Solutions?

These comparative temperatures were taken on a warm but not record hot day in 2020 by East Anglian Guina Pig Rescue
1655494627847.png

- Keep any direct sun off your piggy room or at least off your piggy cage

- Please do NOT open the windows and have a fan blow the hot air straight into the room. It is a common and sadly fatal mistake. Keep in mind that a sun-warmed breeze is a lot hotter than any temperatures in the shade.
Open your window and allow the fan blow in air only once the outside breeze and air is cooler than indoors. If possible create cooling through drafts first thing in the morning and in the evenings.

- Gel packs: Please be aware that they can be fatal if your piggies get to gnaw on them and digest any gel. Cooling elements from a cool box or a three quarters filled frozen water bottle are a safer option. Please always make sure that any frozen elements need to be wrapped in fabric and that any gel pack is not accessible to any investigative gnawer.

- If your piggies are ignoring any cooling elements, please rejoice: they are not feeling overheated and you are doing your job right in keeping them cool. Best compliment you can get from your piggies on a hot day!
Any piggies pancaked to the floor and sprawling or quite literally plastered to the least hint of coolness are however feeling too hot. Please do your homework and see whether introducing additional measures can help.

- Guinea pigs do NOT like to swim for their lives, are very much at risk of secondary drowning (water filled lungs leading to death after the swim) and most don't like water in the first place, not even very shallow water.
Forcing a piggy to swim is outright cruelty and animal abuse.
Can And Should Guinea Pigs Swim?

Lawn time
- Please do not keep your piggies on the lawn or in hutches during the hottest hours of the day and never, ever in full sun in temperatures over 25 C / 77 F. Any hut or hutch can become 10 C / 20 F or even hotter than the ambient temperature within minutes. Beware of any Omelet runs; they are a death trap in heatwaves.
A sun-heated breeze blowing straight into the shade of a big tree can still kill, as several forum members have found out the hard way to their immense upset. Morning trips and evening lawn time on a balmy evening are much better; especially once the outdoors is much cooler and refreshing than the stuffy inside of your house.

- Accustom your piggies slowly to eating lots of grass; it can cause potentially fatal bloat if it hits an unprepared gut.
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

- How to best deal with escapees and preventing escapes in the first place: Keeping Piggies Safe during outdoor time

Hot weather diet
- Please rather than overfeeding your piggies on watery fruit and veg and then fretting why they do not drink and have diarrhea or bloating, concentrate on providing drinkable cool water at all times.
Consider adding crushed ice to your water bottles if you are out and changing the bottles with fridge cooled water regularly if you are at home.

- If you are out all day, you can additionally leave a large piece of cucumber with your piggies. The core of it will stay cool for longer and it is healthier than a big fruit salad. Water melons are of course a lovely and much welcome treat, but they are essentially sugar water in edible form. Piggies have a sweet tooth, just like us. (PS: Melon rind is edible, too).

- Do NOT serve frozen fruit - they can freeze to the tongue or mouth and can cause serious damage, as seen on this forum a couple of times.

- Keep to a normal diet with leafy greens and cucumber as much as possible in order to avoid tummy upsets. Soft poos are generally a sign that you are overfeeding fresh food.

- If your piggies are not drinking cool water, then you are either over-supplying watery veg or your piggies could be overheated in combination with other symptoms
(see chapter below).
Piggies do not drink the more fluid you provide, they just take as much as they need, whether it is in edible or drinkable form; it is as simple as that. As long as they have access to water at a drinkable temperature, they will not dehydrate.

Heat exhaustion/strokes and blow fly strike (flesh eating maggots) - know the symptoms
- Please read the guides below (they are also - like all the advice on here - incorporated in our comprehensive hot weather guide above, which I would strongly recommend to bookmark) so you can spot the signs of heat exhaustion/stroke and blow fly strike (flesh eating maggots) and know what you need to do straight away.
Heat stroke symptoms and what to do
Fly Strike

- If your piggies are not eating properly or a very flat, you need to see a vet asap as an emergency since heat stroke can kill. Exhaustion and stroke do also affect the heart and can cause full or partial GI stasis (the gut stops working as the body overheats).
In pregnant sows (especially in not great conditions), pregnancy toxaemia in the two weeks before and after birth can also hit; symptoms are very similar.

Babies, pregnant sows, ill or old piggies need extra precautions
Please be aware that these groups are at an increased risk of death and secondary health problems if their still developing, not fully working or overworking immune system is further unbalanced by the extra heat burden.
Make sure that you are extra careful in keeping them cool and safe!

Travelling safely to the vet or away in hot weather

You can find a chapter with lots of practical tips on how to keep your piggies as safe as possible during a journey in hot weather in this link here, especially if you haven't got air con and your car is hot: Travelling with guinea pigs

I sincerely hope that all these tips will help you to keep your piggies safe and alive over the coming days and this summer.
Don't assume that you already know everything - try out all possible tips if you can find and test out which combination works for you. It can really save lives. The climate is not getting any cooler so you will have to implement more tricks summers to come. When it comes to hot wether, playing it safe is really so much better than being sorry.

I would strongly recommend to bookmark this link here, which contains all the practical advice and detailed tips to all points raised in this thread here.
You do not want to search around long in any emergency: Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Just to remind you - the coming 2-3 days (especially tomorrow) will be hot in the South of the UK!

how is everyone’s inside temperature sitting? am i right in thinking if the girls are hot, they will sit near the frozen bottles?

Yes - if they ignore them then they aren’t feeling hot

fabulous, i put two in wrapped in snugglesafe covers as misplaced the socks lol! to see if they wanted to use them, think they where abit spooked so after a bit of sniffing and rumble strutting i decided to take one out, they weren’t interested in it before i left so i just will see if they’re hot once i get home!

Are you ready?! I was up early…. everythings open, even found the old dust/bed sheets for a couple of windows.
We started yesterday at about 18C inside, hopeful I can achieve the same again today. Not my favourite type of weather.
Fortunatly the room where the piggies are is the cooolest spot in the house. Permanent floor time in hot weather.

Are you ready?! I was up early…. everythings open, even found the old dust/bed sheets for a couple of windows.
We started yesterday at about 18C inside, hopeful I can achieve the same again today. Not my favourite type of weather.
Fortunatly the room where the piggies are is the cooolest spot in the house. Permanent floor time in hot weather.

Our house is mostly south-facing so we get lots of sun both fully in the mornings and then again from the other side in the afternoon, which is why protecting the lounge is so important. The cooler I can start out in the morning, the less the heat can build up inside over the course of the day. Just went and put my sheets up on the sunny side as the air with the sun fully on the patio is getting warmer than in the house. I make sure that I do any heavier physical work while it is still bearable and water any plants in the evenings or first thing in the morning depending on which side of the house they are. The windows on the shady side are sill open to allow plenty of fresh air in while temperatures in the shade are still cooler than indoors.

A short heat spike is easier to manage in some ways because you can start with a cool house but over the course of a heatwave, the bricks soak up the heat and then release it overnight, so the house cools down less and less; in addition to that, the humidity will build up more and more and many it more unbearable for me.
The piggies will gradually accustom to higher temperatures (as will your own body) but those with weaker immune system (the very young, the pregnant, ill and old ones) will struggle. I hate hot summers because it usually means that I lose some of my frailer oldies in the wake of a heat spike or wave when it adds enough stress to an already precarious balance.

I've got the piggy room down to 21 C so I should be able to keep it to hopefully 23-24 C by the evening; which is about as good as will get for a first really hot day.

Anyway, the water jug for topping up the piggy bottles in the afternoon is in the fridge, and so are the snuggle safes for my frailer oldies to give some gentle cool in their preferred sleeping places.

I am just glad I am at home today, and can see how effective the extra bits I have done work. All shut and ready to stay cool. We are starting today at 20C downstairs. Your right, I always forget, nothing cools as much, when you have started at a warmer temperature.
Thank you for the reminder, Just put the water jug in the fridge for later.

yesterday we had highs of 31 outside, 26 in the shed (quite surprised about this, at least i know the insulation helps keep it cooler!) and 22/23 degree’s inside… hoping it won’t be too much hotter today! windows are covered with towels and blankets and we have frozen bottles on hand, these were completely ignored yesterday so fingers crossed my girls aren’t struggling in this heat. love to all piggies (and other animals) on this hot hot day, i hope everyone’s staying cool!

still not sure about the window situation.. the girls don’t have their own room, we are in a studio so everything, including us, are all in one big room. it gets very warm and stuffy in here, especially if the windows are left shut however they are in direct sunlight for most of the day so not sure whats best to do as i don’t want to make it hotter. we have a fan i can use but not used one around pigs before so a bit wary, i know not to put it directly on them and that its more to help the air flow around the room than a direct source of ‘coolness’. should i keep windows shut with fan on or should i keep windows open a jar and covered? thanks all!

still not sure about the window situation.. the girls don’t have their own room, we are in a studio so everything, including us, are all in one big room. it gets very warm and stuffy in here, especially if the windows are left shut however they are in direct sunlight for most of the day so not sure whats best to do as i don’t want to make it hotter. we have a fan i can use but not used one around pigs before so a bit wary, i know not to put it directly on them and that its more to help the air flow around the room than a direct source of ‘coolness’. should i keep windows shut with fan on or should i keep windows open a jar and covered? thanks all!

Do you have curtains at least on the sunny side or can you fix an old bed sheet between the wings that open?
Just don't place the fan right in front of the cage or at least peg a thin piece of fabric on the side and dampen it. it should still let some air through but break the full stream and the evaporating water will cool the air additionally.
Please read our official hot weather guide; it also contains plenty of tips on how to keep your accommodation as cool as possible - because the more you can do that, the less you need to worry about . Most measures do not cost money or energy but in combination they can make quite a difference.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Just wanted to pop in and wish everybody luck keeping cool today.
It is an absolute scorcher here too (before I moved here i never really thought of Switzerland as getting hot!), but thankfully Swiss houses are good in both hot and cold weather.
Today I am thankful for cool early mornings and shutters on all the windows.

Do you have curtains at least on the sunny side or can you fix an old bed sheet between the wings that open?
Just don't place the fan right in front of the cage or at least peg a thin piece of fabric on the side and dampen it. it should still let some air through but break the full stream and the evaporating water will cool the air additionally.
Please read our official hot weather guide; it also contains plenty of tips on how to keep your accommodation as cool as possible - because the more you can do that, the less you need to worry about . Most measures do not cost money or energy but in combination they can make quite a difference.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

yep we’ve got curtains, towels and blankets up stopping the heat. fan is near enough on the other side of the room to the girls, yes its a great guide! thankyou!

Just wanted to pop in and wish everybody luck keeping cool today.
It is an absolute scorcher here too (before I moved here i never really thought of Switzerland as getting hot!), but thankfully Swiss houses are good in both hot and cold weather.
Today I am thankful for cool early mornings and shutters on all the windows.

I sooo miss my Swiss shutters and houses built for both extremes of weather!

23.8C in the pigs room :td: But I can't do more than I already have and the sun has (finally) done a disappearing act.

yes same here😔 are yours using frozen water bottles?
i’ve got to pop out but so nervous about leaving them i’m putting it off lol, as you say though theres not much more we can do and removing 2 bodies from the room will probably actually help to lower the temp in here!

yes same here😔 are yours using frozen water bottles?
i’ve got to pop out but so nervous about leaving them i’m putting it off lol, as you say though theres not much more we can do and removing 2 bodies from the room will probably actually help to lower the temp in here!

Frozen snugglesafes, windows open through the whole house (except the kitchen window but it's not hugely important), all blinds and curtains closed, and an oscillating fan as a last resort when nothing else would help at all. My fridge freezer is misbehaving which doesn't help. Unfortunately every single window in my house is south facing and the whole street is just a massive suntrap and I overslept this morning and the heat was already rising when I finally woke up.

If I'm up in that room it'll only get warmer. They need cleaning out so I'm hoping the temp drops enough for that later this evening but I'm leaving them alone except for the occasional veg trip til then.

Frozen snugglesafes, windows open through the whole house (except the kitchen window but it's not hugely important), all blinds and curtains closed, and an oscillating fan as a last resort when nothing else would help at all. My fridge freezer is misbehaving which doesn't help. Unfortunately every single window in my house is south facing and the whole street is just a massive suntrap and I overslept this morning and the heat was already rising when I finally woke up.

If I'm up in that room it'll only get warmer. They need cleaning out so I'm hoping the temp drops enough for that later this evening but I'm leaving them alone except for the occasional veg trip til then.

have you had windows open all day? think its recommended to keep them shut until its cooler outside than in - maybe this will help tomorrow (if obviously you left them open all day, you may have not)
oh no what a nightmare hope you get that sorted!
fingers crossed!

have you had windows open all day? think its recommended to keep them shut until its cooler outside than in - maybe this will help tomorrow (if obviously you left them open all day, you may have not)
oh no what a nightmare hope you get that sorted!
fingers crossed!

If there's no air movement outside (like a lack of wind) keep them closed, but there's been a good breeze most of the day. The windows were closed when I woke up and the temperature was climbing rapidly, closing them would've done more harm than good, especially since the blinds were closed overnight. Downstairs sure, I don't generally open the windows because the kitchen one is the devil incarnate and the living room one is taller than I can comfortably use, but needs must sometimes. Downstairs is cool enough as a general rule, upstairs, with just blinds, is not.

Keeping windows closed only works if there's no air movement.

23.8C in the pigs room :td: But I can't do more than I already have and the sun has (finally) done a disappearing act.
It's 24 C here, which I am very pleased with - temps went up only 3 C in the room over the course of the day (compared to 15 C outside up to 30 C) and I didn't need to make use of the fan.

Anything under 25/26 C is a good heat day for me.

It's 24 C here, which I am very pleased with - temps went up only 3 C in the room over the course of the day (compared to 15 C outside up to 30 C) and I didn't need to make use of the fan.

Anything under 25/26 C is a good heat day for me.

It's down to just over 23C in their room now. I wish that room had curtains. But honestly it wasn't much better outside. Downstairs is best, but there's nowhere to keep them down here unfortunately. Even if I got some grids up there just isn't the space, which is a pity because downstairs is the coolest of all 3 available areas, heh.

Sun's gone and I've had to switch on the living room light, but the curtains and blinds are staying closed and the fan's staying on for probably at least another hour.

Back