• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Holly - bad tempered and gets a 'gummy' eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I can't work it out and the problem is the signs she is showing are common signs, so it could be a number of different things. :-\ :)

Get her teeth looked at properly. Ring Vedra about the Gas there's something she uses that I can't remember the name of right now. Sort out if and how much she's eating, get some syringe feed in her if necessary. :)

She's eating OK - no problems there. It's just that everything looks an effort - to come out and get the food etc!

Right... I just watched her having a wee, and over the top of one of my louder pig's wheeking, I definitely heard a little squeak from Holly. so I am really starting to think bladder stones now. I know nothing about them whatsoever - would that cause bloat too? Would that cause her to drink more? (she does drink a fair bit) And is there treatment?

Thanks loads. :)

Get bladder stones ruled out straight away. They can do certain things. O0

Her bloat is just a symptom of something else but obviously needs treating. There is an op for Bladderstones, she'll need an x-ray first probably. Could also be Cystitis so get her on Cystopurin or another Sodium Citrate product ASAP. Septrim is the best Antibiotic for this.
Get her teeth looked as well, it won't do any harm. If you want to travel to Reading teeth check and x-ray can be done without anaesthetic... Do you have any Probiotic you can give her?

Thanks. She's had probiotic for 2 weeks now. What sort of dosage of Cystopurin should I use? Going to try to get her to the vets tomorrow.

Mix the sachet as per Humans and give half of it over the course of the day. Best to give little and often. Rennie Deflatine has always been useful when any of mine have had bloat, that and Infacol and unlimited Gripe Water.

Re: Holly - U/D being treated for UTI

Sorry for lack of update. Holly went back to vets last Tuesday, and the vet gave her Metacam and Marbocyl, in case of UTI, with instructions to take her back if it didn't work, so bladder stones could be investigated.

Well, she's perked up on the Metacam, but tonight I heard her squeaking when peeing again, and I think I might have seen blood too. :o It looked a rusty colour rather than red, so... is that blood? :-\ I've currently got her sitting on some Vetbed, which she of course won't play ball at by peeing! Will call the vets in the morning - just wondered what you thought. Thanks. :)

I'd get her straight back in and have her scanned, the quicker you diagnose them the better and he may even be avle to remove the stone without doing an op depending on the size of it... Have never used Marbocyl and I prefer Rimadyl as Metacam has a tendency to make some pigs drowsy, but as long as it kills the pain and you're aware of that then its not a problem :)

Can't say for sure if its blood but probably and I wouldn't be chancing it now. Let me know if bladderstones are diagnosed and I'll PM you some info that I found useful.

Agree, a bladderstone/ bladderstones are a strong possiblity. Back to the vets ASAP. Keep us updated. O0

Latest update here is that the vet wanted to give her the full antibiotic treatment first (2 weeks) before doing anything (ie checking for stones etc), so I had to just sit tight and keep going with it. 2 weeks was up yesterday, so I got Holly out to observe her on some Vetbed (so I could see the colour of the wee). She eventually performed and the colour was normal, so I'm hoping all is OK now, but not counting my chickens yet. Will keep a very close eye on her and take her back to the vets if she doesn't seem right.

Re: Holly - bad tempered and gets a 'gummy' eye UPDATE

Haven't been on here for a while. Holly is still not right. :( Update is that she has had x rays and there are no signs of bladder stones. She is drinking absolutely loads, and I've taken a urine sample in to the vets today. The urine looked a funny colour to me - looked exactly like that Yakult drink stuff! Unfortunately I'm not going to hear anything till Monday now.

The vet also said that her gut wasn't working very quickly, so I have taken her off all veggies, and am feeding lots of grass instead (obviously as well as hay). She's on extra vitamin C too.

Her eye also still keeps going gummy, which Brolene sorts out.

I wish I knew what was wrong. :(

Have PMd you, I have an article that may be of use to you but need your email addy :) Do you think its sludge in the urine?

Tried emailing Chrissie but the mailbox is full! Am waiting to hear back from the vets about the sample still.

I'm now worrying about Holly's eyes, as the other eye has started becoming sore for her on and off too (although isn't going crusty like the other does), so I'm now worrying about tooth problems. :( :-\

Sometimes it feels like all my animals are ill! :(

Can you get her to Reading to see a vet here? Or there's one in Surrey who's good.
I take it she's not on shavings and you've tried to see if she's allergic to anything?

I already travel quite a way to my vets and don't drive. :(

No shavings and I haven't changed anything lately. She seems to scratch at her eyes a lot, but I have treated for mites.

OK fair enough.
Have you treated for ear mites? Are there any other signs of mites?
Has the vet checked for respiratory problems?

The vet has examined her every time she's been in, so can only assume that respiratory and ear problems have been ruled out.

I feel like her urinary problems and her eye ought to be linked, but I guess they might not be. She has always been so healthy (in comparison to other pigs I've had), so it isn't as though she is prone to lots of chronic conditions.

I think I would use Otodex for ear mites just to rule them out :-\ Did you Ivomec onday one and 10? Could it be Kidney problems maybe?

Yes, have always done the full Ivomec treatment. Have never treated any pig for ear mites though (and don't know much about them). If I use the Otodex, do you think the other 2 pigs need to be done too?

Really hoping it isn't kidney problems - hopefully that would show up in the urine sample I'm waiting to be contacted about.

This is sounding like stones to me, but you say nothing showed up on xray? Could there be sludge but no stones?

As for the eye, do you keep her on hay? If so, I would try moving her onto old towels for a couple of weeks, with hay fed from a hay feeder (thinking there may be an allergy there). If you can use a mix of light and dark towels, you can watch the light ones for signs of blood and the dark ones for signs of sludge.

I hope Holly picks up soon.

You don't have to do the others but it wouldn't hurt and I think I'd do them if they were living together :)

This is just a thought. Has the vet tested Holly for diabetis?, this can cause excessive drinking and in some cases,eye problems.

Oh dear.. hope it isn't diabetes. Is there any treatment? I am still waiting for the results of the urine test (my vet is very good, but so often not in the practice. :(), so I would expect them to have checked the glucose levels in the urine.

If they do a test for diabetes take her off any foods with artificial colourings or the test results will not be true.

Do not worry.diabetis in piggies can be controlled with insulin.Occasionaly a piggy will develop a transient diabetis which resolves itself after a while. A blood test is more reliable than a urine test for diabetis.,because as Karen has said the diet can affect the urine,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back