• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gus is having an operation

• Thread starter Thread starter piggy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending healing wheeks by the bucket load. Hope Gus has a comfortable weekend Piggy. :smitten:

massive healing wheeks coming Gus's way
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sorry I haven't been on over the weekend but heres an update on Gus. He, thank god, has perked right back up again, no more bleeding,not a lot of pain squeaking and he's generally quite happy :) :) I can't believe it, he was in the most pain I've ever heard him in the last time I was on here so I'm really glad he's bounced right back. We're off to the vet school tomorrow at ten in the morning so I'll be able to have a good chat with the vet and voice any concerns with him. Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all the healing wheeks and best wishes I think they've really helped!

That is wonderful news, let us know what the vet says. Soft piggy kisses for Gus :-* :smitten:

well done Gus keep bouncing back :smitten: :smitten:

Okay, going to try and explain as clearly as I can what the vet said at the vet school because I think it may be of some help to owners who have piggies with the same problem. Here goes..... The vet (nice man!) took a lot of time drawing me diagrams of a normal bladder then Gus's bladder. He said a healthy bladder is like a balloon, nice and stretchy which inflates to hold the urine. Inside it also has a thin lining. Poor Gus's bladder has a really thickened lining which is taking up most of his bladder. This has been caused by the sludge (crystals) rubbing the lining and irritating it. This also explains the bleeding. The crystals rub the lining and cause abrehsions hence the blood in the urine. Am I making sense so far? The vet explained it a lot better but hope your getting the general idea! To try and stop more crystals forming Gus has to have a diet of lots of veg (which he gets) lots of hay (gets that too) but very little or no pellets whatsoever. He's also to get lots of exercise in the chance that theres still sludge there. The idea of this is... well.. he likened it to a bottle of juice whch has bits in it. If the juice is still then the sedement lies on the bottom but if it's shaken before drinking it disperses through the liquid. So if Gus has sedement in his bladder and he's getting exercised then the stuff is being dispersed through his urine which means it will be passed a lot easier. Did that make sense or are you all staring at your computers going 'What?' ? ? Last but not least he's to visit his own vet once a week for a jag to try and help thin down the bladder lining. He's also to stay on Metacam for a while and to continue his antibiotic for at least the next week because, would you believe it, his wound is infected! Couldn't believe it! It didn't look inflamed or weepy or anything! But when he was examining it I seen a tiny wee bit of what looked like pus. The vet didn't notice, it was very tiny, so I spoke up. He gave it a squeeze and it was like a big spot erupting! Even the vet was surprised because the wound looked fine. Anyway as I said he's to attend his regular vet for the next few weeks for his jab so he doesn't need to go back to the vet school. I was really pleased with how Gus was looked after, it cost a fortune oer £500 (thank god for credit cards!) but at least I know what the problem is and how to handle it. Hope I've explained everything clearly and I'll keep everyone updated on his progress. Off to chase him round the room and get any crystals moving through his juice!

chasing him around should keep you nice and fit to, I know Fugly tires me out. :)

Big Hugs to Gus :smitten:

What you descibed (brilliantly done by the way! O0 ) is exactly Ruby's problem. Blimmin' bladders! Blimmin' crystals! ::)

I was told the hay and pellets (supa guinea) were fine - but to go easy on certain veg that contain oxalate (spelling?) and calcium :-\ Ive heard alot on here about supa guinea (in the orange bag) not being good for them (protein wise) but my vet said it was absolutely fine. :-\ Fluid intake was the most important thing - even simple things like rinsing the veg and not shaking of the excess water off is a good thing to do.

What a change from last week eh? O0 What a brill piggy mum you are! And Gus is such a brave boy :smitten:

How do you make a piggy exercise for the good of his bladder if he won't move ? ? As you know Gus is supposed to exercise to shake up his bladder but when I take him out he just sits there! Even when I (gently) put a toe to his bum he just lets me push it up and his front legs stay where they are! How can I get him to move?

Make cucumber trails? That way he'll have to move to get to his next piece of food!

It's good to hear he's feeling better! :smitten:

Come on Gus start those excercises boy, left right left right, come on move those tootsies :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
awww i hope you can get him to move around a bit for his own sake O0 O0
We've got our paws crossed and always thinking of you both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Have been using dill to tempt him out his corner when he's out. Bring him out so far, give him the treat and watch him run back to his corner! Not exactly great but it does the job :) :)

My Peggy doesnt move much, but I have found that those big fabric rabbit tunnels help. She walks slowly up to it, then runs through it as fast as she can! She does it over and over! I think she likes the sound of her feet on the crinklyish fabric.

I thought I might mention it as it may help Gus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back