• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gus is having an operation

• Thread starter Thread starter piggy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankyou!

Glad Gus is OK!

I worked out who has red wee in my bunch. Vet says its cysts on the ovaries.

Ouch sounds painful! What treatment can the vet give for that? Hope it gets cleared up soon! Gus is still good. Have heard him squeak a few times when peeing just hoping it's the op but if not then at least I've explored all avenues for him and can content myself with trying to manage his pain instead of curing it.

Hope your piggy feels better soon and I'll keep everyone updated on Gus's progress. Also, thanks for all the advice and good wishes it really helped to know that people were rooting for the wee chap and it helped me prepare for looking after him as he recovers so once again a huge, massive thanks to everyone :) :)

Nothing really, except surgery, ans it isnt causing her pain or affecting her life, so I don't think its worth puuting her through. Plus she's an older piggy, so would probably find it harder to recover.

Glad Gus is OK though! Keep us posted!

Has your vet suggested Choralon injection? this will often shrink ovarian cyst.

nope, but when i see him on thursday i'll mention it. Thanx!

Update on Gus. Unrotunately the op doesn't seem to have worked :'( :'( He's still squeaking when he pee's :'( :'( so don't know what else to do.He's going for a check up on the 14th of this month but I don't want anything else done to him, think he's been through enough in his short life. Any ideas on managing the pain will be gratefully received! Hope your piggy is feeling better Damonshumanslave!

ooooh noooo! Poor Gus. :( what did the analysis show? (....posted 31st Oct)

All I'm doing for Ruby is just syringing plenty of fluids. As I think I mentioned I'm trying Uriflow. If I think she's having a bad day pain wise - I give her a drop of metacam just to ease it. Its quite rare I give her any as I've heard its not the best medicine to have long term. She often doesnt need it anyway. I find it quite difficult to syringe on my own (even when swaddling) so try and get someone to hold him for you.

Before I got Uriflow the vet gave me some potassium citrate which balances the calcium ratio in wee. A pinch of it went in 10ml's of water (with diluted fruit squash).

I'm not sure what I am doing is making any difference ...I really hope it is. She doesnt seem to have as much pink wee and doesnt squeek as much anyway. :-\ I'm pretty new to piggy keeping as these are my 1st 2 - let alone being new to bladder problems. :-\ If it is the crystals/sludge causing Gus' problems then it might just be he's prone to it genetically... or it could be diet related.

Of course, he's still healing, but I know that disheartening feeling when the op hasnt done what you thought :-\

Maybe you could have a chat to the vet over the phone about your concerns before the 14th.

So sorry poor Gus is still having problems. I totally agree with everything PiggyLoon has said. We had this problem with one of our boars in the summer and unfortunately are going through it again with a different boar and a sow. I've been to the vets today and following an ultrasound scan was told that they couldn't see any stones, just what appeared to be thick urine, i.e. sludge. I have Septrin and Metacam to give and I am continuing to syringe plenty of fluids (not going down too well!). I am also using Uriflow for Snowy and will start Smudge on it tomorrow. I mix mine in with baby juice/water and this seems to go down better than plain water.

I do hope that you can make Gus comfortable, I sympathise totally with you, it is heartbreaking when they are obviously in pain. Try giving your vet a call if you are still worried, I'm sure they will chat to you over the phone, even if it means calling them back during their break. Good luck and keep us posted.

Damonshumanslave said:
Thankyou!

Glad Gus is OK!

I worked out who has red wee in my bunch. Vet says its cysts on the ovaries.

Chorulon injections are very effective on cysts, they've sorted all of my sows out but one who needed two courses of injections and one of the cysts needed to be drained but after that she never had any trouble again. I've only had one sow spayed because of cysts (before I knew about the injections) and although she survived the op she never completely recovered and I lost her soon after. Now I would never have a sow spayed.

I hope you see some improvement with Gus :) The Uriflow doesn't work on every pig (but then neither do the ops!) but its well worth the try, it does take commitment and time though, its everyday, 4 x a day but the the guineas seem to get used to it to some degree- some are just perfect patients :) My Henry used to just sit on the worktop and grab the syringe from me after a the first few wheeks :)

It doesnt seem worth it to have her spayed anyway. She doesnt appear to be in pain.

Will definaetly ask about the injections though, see what the vet says. I'll let you know.

Sorry to hear that Gus isnt better. Do you think it could be because he is still healing?

Awwww! Poor little fella :'( Yeah I don't think I'd want him pulled around any more than already. Hopefully the Vets can some up with something non-invasive to help. Keeping fingers and paws crossed and sending lots of hugs and kisses :smitten: :-*

Gus is much the same as he was before the op apart from there being no blood just now. I have tried Uriflow (before the op) but it didn't seem to help however I was only using it twice a day so might try giving it four times as suggested. No results from the analysis so far might get them next Wednesday? What can I do to change his diet? He is at the moment being fed supa guinea excel which I know isn't great for him so having been trying to get him on Cavy cuisine but he doesn't seem to be taking to it. Veg wise he gets carrots, cucumber, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatos. He also gets dill, coriander, the odd bit of parsley and bits of apple (it's the only fruit he eats!) Any ideas how I can change it to make it more bladder friendly?

That Science Selective from SPH Supplies is meant to be really good for convalescing piggies - I think it's a bit pricier than others but if it works and helps him get back on his paws then it'll be worth the extra cost. Poor little fella :'( It's really hard on you too so keep your chin up :smitten:

Bad news. Gus is bleeding again. He was in terrible pain last night and when I checked the cage this morning there it was. I feel I now have no option but to have him PTS it just isn't fair to keep him going like this. He's supposed to go for a check up next week but I don't know wether to keep him going that long. Feeling really bad and even though I'm an adult I'm crying like mad :'( :'(

Oh love i'm so so sorry.......... :'( :'( :'(
It's your's and the vets decision to make, not an easy one :'( :'(
Wishing you all the best, i do hope little Gus can make it to next week's appointment :)
Sending lots of hugs for you and super healing wheeks for the little guy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Come on Gus we're sooo behind you O0 :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Awww! That is just so sad after all you've been through :'( I'm crying now too :'( I'm sure you'll make the right decision - he is clearly suffering terribly now. I feel so bad for you.

OMG :o :'( I'm so sorry to hear Gus is so poorly.... really hoping the vet can do something for him, but as you said... it may not be fair on him :-\ I really hope, like Glynis, he makes it to next weeks appointment. Are you going to take him to the vets today to have him checked out?

*hugs*

PiggyLoon said:
OMG :o :'( I'm so sorry to hear Gus is so poorly.... really hoping the vet can do something for him, but as you said... it may not be fair on him :-\ I really hope, like Glynis, he makes it to next weeks appointment. Are you going to take him to the vets today to have him checked out?

*hugs*

Yeah we're all hoping for him and you too :) :) :) :)

All the best love, every time i come onto this thread i just :'( :'( :'( for you and Gus :( :(
Sending healing wheeks and loves to you both just wish we could help :-\ :-\

Piggy so very sorry to hear that Gus has taken a turn for the worse and hoping it is just a "blip". It may be that he is forming crystals/sludge again and this is irritating his bladder and making it bleed. Is he still on antibiotics? Might be worth trying another dose if he isn't. My vet has said that if my boar's problems continue then he would be happy for Snowy to be on Septrin long term, eventually knocking him down to a "maintenance" dose if he stays well, active and generally seems to be enjoying life, except for the wee problem. Whilst we are fighting the infection he is on 1ml twice a day and seems to tolerate it ok (plus liquid/probiotic etc.). I have also been trying him with Uriflow.

Good luck with Gus and sending hugs from me and the gang. Take care.

Dougal and I are rooting for both of you - could this be a post-op infection, which could be cleared up with a new antibiotic?

So Sorry for not replying earlier, I've only just logged on (your inbox is full - everyone cares and is thinking of you both). Dougal is back at the vets today.

We both send our thoughts

sending Gus loads of love :smitten: :smitten:

My boy Bubble had chronic cystitis and he had blood in urine, I found putting Cranberry juice in with his water everyday helped him, even when he was better I kept putting Cranberry in.

Fugly has Cranberry in his water as a preventative.

I really hope your little guy gets better soon, remember whatever you do decide to do will be what is best for Gus, that is all we can do for them.

Big hugs to you I know how hard the decision you are facing is :'(

Oh my god, ive only just read this :'( :'( :'(

**BIG HUGS TO YOU BOTH**

I know totally what you mean....sometimes its just better to put them to rest rather than fight a loosing battle and put them through pain :'(

Whatever happens, and whatever you decide is for the best, we are here to listen and help in any way we can.x

Thing of you both :smitten:

Karenza said:
Dougal and I are rooting for both of you - could this be a post-op infection, which could be cleared up with a new antibiotic?

So Sorry for not replying earlier, I've only just logged on (your inbox is full - everyone cares and is thinking of you both). Dougal is back at the vets today.

We both send our thoughts

Good luck Dougal O0 :smitten:

I am so sorry to hear Gus is still poorly after all he has been through. You will make the right decision, hard as it is.
Sending lots of love to you and Gus :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks everyone. It's so hard knowing what to do. He's eating, not properly but it's something. His weight has dropped from 2lb 14oz to 2lb 6oz, he looks awful. His antibiotics ran out on Monday so going to vets tomorrow to see if I can get more. I hope he makes it till Wednesday but he was in so much pain last night I don't know if it's fair. Gave him Metacam during the night but it didn't seem to do much. I'm going to keep a careful eye on him over the next 24 to 48 hours and make my decision then. I'll also talk to the vet and get their advice. At this minute in time I'm swinging more to letting him go but as I said I'll see how he goes over the next couple of days. Healing wheeks to Gus everyone please! Will keep you all posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back