Fresh food shortage

My wallet is a lot healthier, even more so now we're down to one moggie.

Hi I was on guinea pigs uk on Facebook yesterday and they are saying if you csnt get hold of peppers for vitamin C then next best is corgette, unfortunately but I don't blame them as its gross but allot of piggies ( not all) won't eat corgette ect like mine.
I'm managing only just go get some peppers but they said if really despret you can buy and syringe feed them PRO C PRO BIOTIC you can buy it off Amazon, they also said aswell to make sute your feeding good quality pellets science selective grain free pellets at same time ( mine get these anyway), hope this helps x
PLEASE do not use this product. Only use very short term while on antibiotics. My piggie was on it, & nobody told me it was short term use only. I carried on using it, & he ended up having 2 vets visits as the sugar in his wee was sky high. This product is nearly 90% sugar. Look at the ingredients on the back. Soon as I stopped using it, his wee went back to normal

I don’t think it would be necessary to supplement any vit c during this temporary issue anyway. Veg is still available so they will still be getting enough - all veg containing vit c, it’s also in their hay and pellets.

I know what to feed, but just can't get it. I have no grass, & can't wait 2 weeks with no veg for piggies

Could you look via a local group or by contacting your local church for somebody who could help you with shopping for those items?

It is troubling. Papers making it worse by whipping up panic, so people panic buy, and it doesn't take much. If everyone just buys one extra vegetable that they might not usually have done, the shelves are empty.

Hang in there, folks, this mad phase will pass soon. Remember there is vitamin C in the pellets. Keep them stocked with hay and water, give them whatever scraps of veg you can, and they'll be fine.

Went into Tesco and Aldi yesterday. There were peppers/tomatoes/cucumbers, but not very many. Plenty of coriander though.

Doesn't help that certain papers are stirring up panic about a second 'beast from the east'. I've looked at various sources and while there is a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) happening, there's no telling how that will affect the weather yet. People don't realise that after the SSW in 2018 which caused the 'beast from the east', we had another SSW in 2019 which led to milder weather.

I went to ASDA and there was a little less choice, only green peppers or bags of three, only full Cucumbers not half's and a smaller selection of lettuce and tomatoes but not the mass starvation the news was preparing us for. I think we're a bit too used to being spoiled for choice.

Went to tesco this morning and managed to get a big bag of coriander, 2 red peppers and butter head mixed salad (red and green butter head and spinach) is the latter ok for the piggies? I know to pick the spinach out.

Picked up Romaine and celery yesterday in lidl so they've got their usual minus cucumber.

Went to tesco this morning and managed to get a big bag of coriander, 2 red peppers and butter head mixed salad (red and green butter head and spinach) is the latter ok for the piggies? I know to pick the spinach out.

Picked up Romaine and celery yesterday in lidl so they've got their usual minus cucumber.

That’s all fine. They can eat the spinach its just that it is higher calcium so you don’t want them to overdo it

Got my delivery today and I only managed to get 3 Cucumbers and a packet of Chinese leaf lettuce. However, I don't even know if the piggies can have this sort of lettuce. I am definitely beginning to worry now 😬

Got my delivery today and I only managed to get 3 Cucumbers and a packet of Chinese leaf lettuce. However, I don't even know if the piggies can have this sort of lettuce. I am definitely beginning to worry now 😬
I think Chinese leaves are a kind of cabbage, aren't they? If that's correct then they can have some, but don't overdo it.

Chinese leaf is not something we recommend to feed regularly but a one-off is not the end of the world.
Right now, you make do with what you can get... ;)

Costco is where I get romaine lettuce, cucumber, and carrots for my boys and I always have those around. I get fruits there too and my boys get some of those.

I'm a bit concerned incase they may get bloat from this.

If it was likely to be that dangerous from a short term/small amount of it, the advice would be to not feed it at all. As it is now, it's incredibly unlikely to cause issues, either from stones or bloat.

Been shopping & Asda well stocked with everything. I've bought some celery. It says somewhere on here, you can give it daily, but I've read online on many sites, feed only couple times a week due to high oxalate. Is this true? I just don't know what yo believe,

Back