Finding Winnie a new friend - how long have we got?

LucyP

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hi all

As some of you know, we very sadly and unexpectedly lost our deeply loved piggy Betty on Sunday night, the whole thing was very traumatic and we are still inconsolable and feeling terrible about that. At the same time we need to think of Winnie who is now a single pig. She has not been eating normally and is definitely not herself. We're coaxing her with whatever hay, forage, nuggets or veg she can manage (she has interest momentarily, but not as sustained as normal) and we are syringe feeding her every 3-4 hours including in the night. She's just about maintaining weight but is clearly not happy. When we found Betty collapsed on Sunday morning we rushed her to the vets and we are not sure exactly how aware Winnie was of how ill Betty had become. Winnie has been alone ever since, so we are now on day 4 of Winnie being alone. I'm not sure at what point she realises that Betty isn't coming back and how that feels for her, we're worried she's anxious as she did rely on Betty as the confident one when times are tough. It's so sad seeing her alone and quiet.

I've contacted lots of rescues in the last couple of days. Ideally we want one who can help us with dating, esp as some of them are not local and the idea of bringing one back that doesn't work out and taking them back and forth doesn't sound great for the pigs. But we just want to find her the right friend. I've read all the guides and I think/hope that Winnie is not quite as bad as 'acute pining' but at what point should we be worried and step up from our current mission with the rescues, to just trying to find her an immediate friend from anywhere? We really don't want to go down the pet shop route as we are pro rescue for all the usual reasons but mostly we just don't want her to go downhill. Maybe this is still too early to panic? It's hard to think straight at the moment.

Many thanks
Lucy

I’m sorry you lost your Betty. With regards Winnie, if you feel she really needs a friend sooner rather than later then you have to do what you have to do. Some piggies are okay after losing their friend while others are desperate for companionship. Be guided by her as you know her best.

I’m in the same position but my Chanel is doing fine. I’m worried she won’t have a companion before the weather starts cooling so I’m considering going elsewhere as well.

Good luck and I hope you find her a friend soon.

Hi all

As some of you know, we very sadly and unexpectedly lost our deeply loved piggy Betty on Sunday night, the whole thing was very traumatic and we are still inconsolable and feeling terrible about that. At the same time we need to think of Winnie who is now a single pig. She has not been eating normally and is definitely not herself. We're coaxing her with whatever hay, forage, nuggets or veg she can manage (she has interest momentarily, but not as sustained as normal) and we are syringe feeding her every 3-4 hours including in the night. She's just about maintaining weight but is clearly not happy. When we found Betty collapsed on Sunday morning we rushed her to the vets and we are not sure exactly how aware Winnie was of how ill Betty had become. Winnie has been alone ever since, so we are now on day 4 of Winnie being alone. I'm not sure at what point she realises that Betty isn't coming back and how that feels for her, we're worried she's anxious as she did rely on Betty as the confident one when times are tough. It's so sad seeing her alone and quiet.

I've contacted lots of rescues in the last couple of days. Ideally we want one who can help us with dating, esp as some of them are not local and the idea of bringing one back that doesn't work out and taking them back and forth doesn't sound great for the pigs. But we just want to find her the right friend. I've read all the guides and I think/hope that Winnie is not quite as bad as 'acute pining' but at what point should we be worried and step up from our current mission with the rescues, to just trying to find her an immediate friend from anywhere? We really don't want to go down the pet shop route as we are pro rescue for all the usual reasons but mostly we just don't want her to go downhill. Maybe this is still too early to panic? It's hard to think straight at the moment.

Many thanks
Lucy

Hi

I am ever so sorry for your loss.

When a piggy is not eating/drinking properly, then please get a companion sooner. You can wait with any piggy that is eating, drinking and generally coping (if being withdrawn in the first days of deep mourning) but not with any piggy that is struggling. As much as it pains me, but a baby/youngster under 4 months desperate for company would probably best for a quick fix without dating to keep any bonding stress to a minimum.

Be aware that the stress from a loss, which all piggies feel (and they will know that their friends has gone) can also lower the immune system, especially in frailer piggies to make existing problems worse or give a door in for any opportunists waiting to hit.

You have to waive quarantine and will have to treat both if there is trouble in those cases where companionship needs on either side outweigh safety concerns.

Thanks both, that’s really helpful.

Her eating is somewhat better this afternoon but not quite normal. I think I’ll research all options now so we can act very quickly if we need to. I’d hate to go to a pet shop, but if needed, am I right in thinking pets at home adoption is less bad than others?

I know it’s normal for them to be off their food for a few days but would hope to see this pick up soon. On a positive note, she did squeak loudly for veg yesterday when she heard a rustle in the kitchen. Betty was very much the chief squeaker before with Winnie only joining in as quiet backing vocals, so maybe her asking for food like this is a positive sign she’s starting to switch to more normal behaviour? I really hope so as I’d love to have the time to get her a rescue pal from hazelcroft or one of the other experienced rescues within reach of London.

Thanks again

Thanks both, that’s really helpful.

Her eating is somewhat better this afternoon but not quite normal. I think I’ll research all options now so we can act very quickly if we need to. I’d hate to go to a pet shop, but if needed, am I right in thinking pets at home adoption is less bad than others?

I know it’s normal for them to be off their food for a few days but would hope to see this pick up soon. On a positive note, she did squeak loudly for veg yesterday when she heard a rustle in the kitchen. Betty was very much the chief squeaker before with Winnie only joining in as quiet backing vocals, so maybe her asking for food like this is a positive sign she’s starting to switch to more normal behaviour? I really hope so as I’d love to have the time to get her a rescue pal from hazelcroft or one of the other experienced rescues within reach of London.

Thanks again

P@h adoption is basically a second-hand rummage sales corner; they run it as a rather reluctant 'courtesy' service for purchased piggies that are directly dumped back at them but it does not necessarily include anything in the way of quarantine/major vet care or home checks etc. that good welfare standard rescues include. If there is a single boy, chanxes are it is a fallen-out teenager. :(

Oh dear, that's not very good!

I really hope a rescue can suggest one for us soon then! I saw a single girl with Blue Cross that came up today and have asked about her and emailed 6 other rescues from the recommended list at the same time asking about any single girls. Thanks, will let you know what happens.

Good luck, it’s a stressful time but I hope you f8nd a lovely new friend for Winnie x

Thanks - just sent my application form into Hazelcroft after a nice email from them, but they did say there may be a wait.
Sorry for your loss.
I see you are based on London. Have you checked This Little Piggy in Richmond? When we went there last Friday for a bonding session she had this sweet little lone lady as a backup. Her name was Jellybean and she was rather shy, but very sweet indeed. You can find pictures on their Facebook page.
I also understood they have a list of piggies needing to come into the rescue, so worth a look.

Thanks so much - I will ask about Jellybean now!

There may be a waiting list for dating sessions, as they can be quite time intensive. As long as your piggies are eating and drinking normally, they will hold. Just be patient and don't panic. What you lose now you will make up with a happy new relationship for years to come. ;)

Mine had to wait two months last autum after I lost 4 piggies unexpectedly within just 3 weeks due to a ringworm outbreak in a reserved piggy setting us back another few weeks but it was well worth it (and well worth me not having ringworm in my piggy room again)! All of them have found a new mate they are very happy with, including the fully healed ringworm mum and her baby daugher (Manon and Maelona), as Macsen will happily rumble across to you. :)

Keep in mind that these are all people who are running a rescue to a good standard around a job or who are volunteering their free time etc. What they are doing and how much they are giving up and what lengths they are going to help the unwanted, abandoned, neglected is simply awesome. How they find time to snatch the odd hour to sleep is a marvel to me... and right now they are all pushed right to and even beyond their limits.

PS: My Tegeirian 'Orchid' had to wait 5 months in rescue on her own due to having been sold as a boar companion to another boar (her owners panicked and dumped both piggies into a small sanctuary). Between 10 weeks of pregnancy watch and 10 weeks of Lockdown with the already set up socially distanced handover missed by a matter of just three days, poor Tegeirian really got the rough end of it. But she arrived at the end of the first Lockdown as soon as we are allowed to travel and has not looked back...

Hope you can find a suitable companion soon.
It’s always a difficult time.
It’s hard when your own grief is still raw to think about a successor but you clearly have so much love to give.
The fact that you are thinking about Winnie’s need is proof of that.

When Merab was left alone it was clear that she needed a companion as soon as possible but there were no rescues nearby at that time.
I did some online research and found a pet shop in Thatcham, Berks that had a good reputation for animal welfare.
That’s where Keziah and Jemimah came from. I knew that if bonding didn’t work then the 2 girls had each other.
However, Merab was desperate for companionship and the youngsters were no threat and luckily bonding was instant.

There may be a waiting list for dating sessions, as they can be quite time intensive. As long as your piggies are eating and drinking normally, they will hold. Just be patient and don't panic. What you lose now you will make up with a happy new relationship for years to come. ;)

Mine had to wait two months last autum after I lost 4 piggies unexpectedly within just 3 weeks due to a ringworm outbreak in a reserved piggy setting us back another few weeks but it was well worth it (and well worth me not having ringworm in my piggy room again)! All of them have found a new mate they are very happy with, including the fully healed ringworm mum and her baby daugher (Manon and Maelona), as Macsen will happily rumble across to you. :)

Keep in mind that these are all people who are running a rescue to a good standard around a job or who are volunteering their free time etc. What they are doing and how much they are giving up and what lengths they are going to help the unwanted, abandoned, neglected is simply awesome. How they find time to snatch the odd hour to sleep is a marvel to me... and right now they are all pushed right to and even beyond their limits.

PS: My Tegeirian 'Orchid' had to wait 5 months in rescue on her own due to having been sold as a boar companion to another boar (her owners panicked and dumped both piggies into a small sanctuary). Between 10 weeks of pregnancy watch and 10 weeks of Lockdown with the already set up socially distanced handover missed by a matter of just three days, poor Tegeirian really got the rough end of it. But she arrived at the end of the first Lockdown as soon as we are allowed to travel and has not looked back...
Thanks Wiebke! Very happy to be patient as long as Winnie is holding out - she squeaked loudly for food again tonight and some different hay seems to be more to her taste than her usual one right now (really good tip bill and ted, thanks)..so that’s good. She’s moving around more today and shown interest in exploring her surroundings, but still a bit subdued. We’ll keep up the top ups and daily weighing and see how she goes.

That’s very tough about all those losses you suffered at once, how difficult. I don’t know how people cope with that when just one is bad enough! Personally I’ve had some traumatic and sudden human losses and I don’t mind admitting that in this case the loss of a very beloved pet is up there in terms of intensity! which is something non pet people might not really understand. This forum is great for that.

I really appreciate the work of the rescues and how hard that must be, especially all the extra issues since covid. I hope if we find Winnie a new friend in one it frees up space for another on the conveyer belt. And we also have some bits to donate to them.

Thanks

Hope you can find a suitable companion soon.
It’s always a difficult time.
It’s hard when your own grief is still raw to think about a successor but you clearly have so much love to give.
The fact that you are thinking about Winnie’s need is proof of that.

When Merab was left alone it was clear that she needed a companion as soon as possible but there were no rescues nearby at that time.
I did some online research and found a pet shop in Thatcham, Berks that had a good reputation for animal welfare.
That’s where Keziah and Jemimah came from. I knew that if bonding didn’t work then the 2 girls had each other.
However, Merab was desperate for companionship and the youngsters were no threat and luckily bonding was instant.
Thanks so much for your kind words, it really helps a lot. It is hard to think of other pigs joining us when we can’t believe Betty has done but Winnie’s needs will come first and we want her to be happy. I’m sorry you had such a worry with Merab but so glad you worked it out in the end with the lovely Keziah and Jemimah. I’ll add that place to my list of options if the rescues don’t work out. Winnie says thanks for all your help! BDDC1890-500A-46E7-83B4-95B2B261E896.webp

Sorry for your loss.
I see you are based on London. Have you checked This Little Piggy in Richmond? When we went there last Friday for a bonding session she had this sweet little lone lady as a backup. Her name was Jellybean and she was rather shy, but very sweet indeed. You can find pictures on their Facebook page.
I also understood they have a list of piggies needing to come into the rescue, so worth a look.
Hi Ven - do you mind me asking what the bonding process was? Was it an overnight stay? Thanks!

I’m sorry you lost your Betty. With regards Winnie, if you feel she really needs a friend sooner rather than later then you have to do what you have to do. Some piggies are okay after losing their friend while others are desperate for companionship. Be guided by her as you know her best.

I’m in the same position but my Chanel is doing fine. I’m worried she won’t have a companion before the weather starts cooling so I’m considering going elsewhere as well.

Good luck and I hope you find her a friend soon.
Thank you so much. I’m really sorry you’re in a similar position. I’m glad your Chanel is doing fine, that’s really good. I hope you find her a lovely friend too. Thanks so much.

Hi Ven - do you mind me asking what the bonding process was? Was it an overnight stay? Thanks!
Yes, we left the piggy there for 24h. I know she prefers weekends. We had a little tour and a snuggle with some piggies before leaving the bonding proces up to them. There are some real characters there! They will ask for photo's of your setup which needs to be at least 10 square foot. They also had questions regarding food and other pets.
The lady was happy to provide us with updates.
Hope that helps

Thanks Wiebke! Very happy to be patient as long as Winnie is holding out - she squeaked loudly for food again tonight and some different hay seems to be more to her taste than her usual one right now (really good tip bill and ted, thanks)..so that’s good. She’s moving around more today and shown interest in exploring her surroundings, but still a bit subdued. We’ll keep up the top ups and daily weighing and see how she goes.

That’s very tough about all those losses you suffered at once, how difficult. I don’t know how people cope with that when just one is bad enough! Personally I’ve had some traumatic and sudden human losses and I don’t mind admitting that in this case the loss of a very beloved pet is up there in terms of intensity! which is something non pet people might not really understand. This forum is great for that.

I really appreciate the work of the rescues and how hard that must be, especially all the extra issues since covid. I hope if we find Winnie a new friend in one it frees up space for another on the conveyer belt. And we also have some bits to donate to them.

Thanks

Multiple deaths (I call them Stampedes to the Rainbow Bridge) are tough to cope with and have taken me quite a while to digest; especially when you lose several younger piggies and not just oldies. Oldies you miss very much but you know that you have done right by them. It is the young losses that I struggle most with; especially when I am losing several in close succession. My brain can tell me that it is not my fault but my heart continues to say otherwise for quite a lot longer... :(
The wodge of 7 piggies in just over 3 months (including 3 in a week, 2 of which I could not brace for) has however come on the heels of an amazing gap of 18 months of no losses during the worst of the pandemic with 27 piggies to look after during that time, so it very much balances out over the long term. :(

Please give yourself time to grieve, concentrate on spending enrichment time with Winnie in the meantime, not that she is coming out of deep mourning and contact all decent rescues you can get to. Something will work out hopefully sooner than later, and you will also feel a lot better again in yourself seeing Winnie happy again. :tu:

That’s such a lot to deal with- but I’m glad you had that great run during the pandemic. 27 pigs as well!

I know what you mean about the younger ages, Betty was 3 and seemingly totally fine and happy before the operation which is a really tough loss to deal with. Before deciding what to about her lumps I studied the cases of every single mammary mass tumour example I could find on piggie forums (here and US) and looked in detail at the outcome for all 63 cases in the last 15 years, which suggested that these operations are generally not that risky and worth doing. With experienced vets and good aftercare plans we thought we’d minimised every possible risk for Betty and we were so determined to get her through this, it’s all we’ve focused on. And yet 3 weeks after the operation poor Betty who went to bed seeming normal suffered this massive neurological event. I guess it’s the cosmic bad luck thing and there are just some things that none of us can control. Obviously I’m now wishing I’d never found that lump (which turned out to be benign) and just left our lovely pig alone. But I guess no one could have known this would happen.

As for Winnie, she was begging at the bars today and is definitely eating more herself without needing coaxing, so I’m hoping she’s coming out of her worst pining phase, but we are doing what we can to find her a friend asap.

Thanks again and sorry for your losses too. I don’t know how you and people like you ride this emotional rollercoaster of piggie caring with multiple pigs, but you do a great service to your animals and to lots of other people and animals too!

That’s such a lot to deal with- but I’m glad you had that great run during the pandemic. 27 pigs as well!

I know what you mean about the younger ages, Betty was 3 and seemingly totally fine and happy before the operation which is a really tough loss to deal with. Before deciding what to about her lumps I studied the cases of every single mammary mass tumour example I could find on piggie forums (here and US) and looked in detail at the outcome for all 63 cases in the last 15 years, which suggested that these operations are generally not that risky and worth doing. With experienced vets and good aftercare plans we thought we’d minimised every possible risk for Betty and we were so determined to get her through this, it’s all we’ve focused on. And yet 3 weeks after the operation poor Betty who went to bed seeming normal suffered this massive neurological event. I guess it’s the cosmic bad luck thing and there are just some things that none of us can control. Obviously I’m now wishing I’d never found that lump (which turned out to be benign) and just left our lovely pig alone. But I guess no one could have known this would happen.

As for Winnie, she was begging at the bars today and is definitely eating more herself without needing coaxing, so I’m hoping she’s coming out of her worst pining phase, but we are doing what we can to find her a friend asap.

Thanks again and sorry for your losses too. I don’t know how you and people like you ride this emotional rollercoaster of piggie caring with multiple pigs, but you do a great service to your animals and to lots of other people and animals too!

I am very sorry - I lost my three years old Alan last summer (he was the first one of the three in one week piggies) just hours before the first piggy savvy vet appointment I could bag after the weekend as he would have needed an emergency operation. Of course, I wish I'd noticed him stopping eating earlier than Saturday late afternoon but - take that from me - regrets and feelings of guilt are part and parcel of every loving owner's losses. You will always feel bad about something or other. :(

Can I assure you about one thing: If you hadn't had that tumor removed, Betty would still not have lived all that much longer because the tumor would have gone on to grow and grow and grow and grow and never stopped growing.
It was NOT so much about it being benign or malign, it was about the nature of the lump.
I have seen pictures of piggies being surrendered to rescues with untreated mammary lumps that are simply too gross to share on here but where piggies were no longer able to stand on all four legs at once and where the lump was about a fifth the volume of the piggy.
It would have still been the tough choice between operation or putting to sleep for you; only that the lump would have been much larger and even harder to operate by then, which would made the risk of a bad reaction to a GA (if it was that and not just a coincidence) even more likely. :(
You have made absolutely the right decision; the rest is just really bad luck and one of these things that you cannot foresee. There was highly likely either a genetic disposition or something underlying going on because that is not a normal bad reaction to a GA. If it was a genetic disposition or something lurking, then it would have happened anyway sooner or later and left you equally devastated. :(

But please stop beating yourself up over what is ouf of your control and what you cannot influence. And please NEVER make the really bad bungle to deny another piggy of yours access to a life-saving operation just because you feel you have fallen off the horse and too afraid to get back on it again. We see that reaction not all that rarely on here. As I know from myself, it will take a really deep breath to consent to another op again but it needs to be done.

Thanks so much Wiebke.

It really helps to reminded that we did do the responsible thing in operating, we’d never have wanted a growing mass to cause her problems or pain. And it was large when we found it. We did our best for her, we took everything into account; we spoke at length with our vets and we heard from people on this forum who have decades of experience. Looking at the success rate of other cases I read about, there was a very strong case for going for the op.

Our vets operate on small animals all the time and say they’ve never seen a case quite like this. One theory is it may have been a blood clot that ended up in the spinal chord causing her to lose the use of her limbs so suddenly. Perhaps some dislodged blood from the after the op. But they were surprised it was 3 weeks after. Or maybe the neurological issue was nothing to do with the op. We’ll never know.

I hope we’re not in a situation like this anytime soon, but if we ever are, we would do what we always do, which is look rationally at the information available to us, talk it through with the vets, take a deep breath and take whatever action gives the pet it’s best chance of health and happiness. I guess that’s all any of us can do. The rest of it is somewhat in the lap of the gods. Betty didn’t have a long life and the end of it was awful (the start didn’t sound too great either), but I do think we can hand on heart say that the bit in the middle with us gave her lots of happy and cheeky days.

Thanks for all your support in helping us see this more clearly in our grief.

As for Winnie, a couple of rescues are saying they’re happy with our set up so it’s just a case of finding a piggy now. She’s eating more today and definitely more perky 😍 so hopefully we have a few weeks to get this right.

Thanks all x

Thanks so much Wiebke.

It really helps to reminded that we did do the responsible thing in operating, we’d never have wanted a growing mass to cause her problems or pain. And it was large when we found it. We did our best for her, we took everything into account; we spoke at length with our vets and we heard from people on this forum who have decades of experience. Looking at the success rate of other cases I read about, there was a very strong case for going for the op.

Our vets operate on small animals all the time and say they’ve never seen a case quite like this. One theory is it may have been a blood clot that ended up in the spinal chord causing her to lose the use of her limbs so suddenly. Perhaps some dislodged blood from the after the op. But they were surprised it was 3 weeks after. Or maybe the neurological issue was nothing to do with the op. We’ll never know.

I hope we’re not in a situation like this anytime soon, but if we ever are, we would do what we always do, which is look rationally at the information available to us, talk it through with the vets, take a deep breath and take whatever action gives the pet it’s best chance of health and happiness. I guess that’s all any of us can do. The rest of it is somewhat in the lap of the gods. Betty didn’t have a long life and the end of it was awful (the start didn’t sound too great either), but I do think we can hand on heart say that the bit in the middle with us gave her lots of happy and cheeky days.

Thanks for all your support in helping us see this more clearly in our grief.

As for Winnie, a couple of rescues are saying they’re happy with our set up so it’s just a case of finding a piggy now. She’s eating more today and definitely more perky 😍 so hopefully we have a few weeks to get this right.

Thanks all x
Glad we can help you and help ease your pain.

What has happened is not something that is normal and foreseeable - and therefore preventable. I have had a piggy myself with a potential temporary blood clot or sciatica causing immense pain and temporary back leg paralysis/partial pain-induced GI stasis (of course it happened overnight) totally out of the blue; but even that has been one of these mystery one-offs... But it is most definitely not something you have done wrong!

The first days after a death are the worst to bear with bereaved piggies for us owners because they are doing their
own mourning and are being withdrawn just when we would love to cuddle and comfort them more than ever. Once you are past the black dress stage, it usually gets better although after a month or so, boredom and lack of stimulation can set in. However, unless your piggy is clearly not coping, it is worth waiting and doing things properly for the long term - even if it means a somewhat longer wait...

All the best for lining up new friends to meet for Winnie - you can also think about trying neutered boars; have you and any rescues considered that?

Sorry to hear about your piggy and the blood clot. 🥲 I pray to god that Betty’s situation wasn’t too painful whatever it was, as that’s so heartbreaking and awful to imagine, they’re so innocent these little pigs aren’t they. Although it wasn’t nice to leave her at the vets, I have been assured she went straight on some strong pain meds there, which is something.

We’d prefer a sow again next as we have more experience there but we probably shouldn’t rule anything out. I’d also ideally like one that didn’t come from a nightmare background with multiple health issues like Betty and Winnie had in their first year, but the main thing will be to get whoever Winnie likes the best. I’m curious to see how she gets on with the bonding, she’s a mixture of sweet and shy but equally quite sassy when she feels like it! It will be nice to see her doing her zooms again when she has a new pal.

Sorry that emoji was meant to be 😢 - I should have gone to spec savers

Hi again

The lovely Jellybean that was mentioned in this post has moved on to a home.....but the same rescue has a sow who is currently weaning some babies. They say she will be ready for a new friend in 10 days. No idea if it will be a match but is there anything in particular we need to be aware of/do differently re taking on a sow who's just weaned babies? Feel sad about babies and mum being separated too!

In the meantime if anything comes up sooner will explore that too. Winnie is not doing too badly and is maintaining her weight but she still requires a few top up feeds to do so, so is not fully herself.

Hi again

The lovely Jellybean that was mentioned in this post has moved on to a home.....but the same rescue has a sow who is currently weaning some babies. They say she will be ready for a new friend in 10 days. No idea if it will be a match but is there anything in particular we need to be aware of/do differently re taking on a sow who's just weaned babies? Feel sad about babies and mum being separated too!

In the meantime if anything comes up sooner will explore that too. Winnie is not doing too badly and is maintaining her weight but she still requires a few top up feeds to do so, so is not fully herself.
I would think this sounds quite promising, and finding a new friend might help her adjust to her babies leaving her- paws crossed that will be a good time for a meet up, but it's impossible to say whether that will increase or decrease her chances of accepting a new friend!
Taking on a rescued ex-breeder piggy is a wonderful thing to do, most people woould want to adopt the babies and leave poor old saggy mum with her complicated history behind.
I'm sure the rescue will fill you in on any health needs, and if you ask them to they should forward her medical records to your own vet.
Best of luck! X

Thank you!

They said that other than pregnancy, the sow is in good health and they think she's about one. Winnie is just over 3. There may be another potential option at the same rescue who is closer to Winnie's age, not sure. Anyway we will see if she can date one of them soon. Much as we can't believe we're in this situation and we're still traumatised over Betty's untimely death, Winnie needs a little pal ASAP so we're determined to let her find the right one.

I think we could almost also be persuaded to consider a boar if we can't find a sow soon, but Winnie is quite small and can be skittish so am not sure she could cope with a boisterous one?! Maybe one closer to her age would work?

I guess only dating will answer these questions....

Re Winnie's grieving, we have left some bits of Betty's bedding/cosy around for Winnie to smell, as per the guidance. Is there a point in time where it's better for her if we remove this? It's not especially soiled so we can leave it for longer if it's helping her. We don't mind either way, just want the best for her.

Thanks again

It's quite an individual decision how long to have reminders of a lost companion around I think, we have been going through this recently too since Ollie boar's wifepig died very suddenly a month ago.
I left him the tunnel she passed away in for 3 days, changed the floor fleece after a week, but I think by 2 weeks other things that had her smell, like a carrot cottage and a cardboard box from the playpen, were sort of triggering extra grief by him thinking she might be nearby or coming back... so I did a big clean and purge and also put away for a while several things they shared and got some new beds for him- and now a new possible lady friend, who he isnt quite ready for yet but a forum rescue who knows us very kindly let her come to us as a foster piggy and neighbour while they get to know each other, as she was a single piggy.
I think after 2 or 3 weeks it's probably good to take away the old smells and let your piggy move on, adjust to being alone briefly and get ready for a new friend- but like with human grief, there are so many factors to consider, there are no right or wrong answers- but generally I think within a month there should be a fresh start and some possible new companions on the horizon, less urgent perhaps for the elderly or if there are other piggies as neighbours, but usually the younger the bereaved companion and the more exclusive the relationship with the piggy who passed away, the quicker things should move forwards I think x

Aw good luck I hope the dating goes well which ever piggie you decide 9pon. I wouldn’t rule out a neutered boar, sow and boars make such loving couples and boar are very funny and rather daft and add a new dimension

Back