• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞

Claire W

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I have noticed this morning that Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞 I have weighed her and she hasn’t lost any weight but I’m concerned as this is how Edwards problems started last year 😞 Her tooth has completely gone

So sorry Ella has lost her tooth Claire, try not to worry too much. I’m sure it will grow back very soon x

Sending you hugs Claire. Try not to worry teeth do grow back. Just keep an eye on her weight to make sure she is eating enough.

Try not to worry Clare. My piggies have had 3 incisors lost in the last 12 months (no idea how). All have grown back without any issues. I'm sure Ella will be fine.

I have noticed this morning that Ella has a bottom incisor missing 😞 I have weighed her and she hasn’t lost any weight but I’m concerned as this is how Edwards problems started last year 😞 Her tooth has completely gone

Hi
With just one incisor missing, all you can do is wait for it grow back if the break has been below the gum line but she will be perfectly able to pick up and eat food as normal. The remaining incisor will be enough to abrade against both incisors (even if it will look a little wonky) but things will normalise quickly as soon as all four teeth are fully back.

Thickened incisors are pretty rare and Ella is rather young for one. The overwhelming majority of breaks we see on here just grows back normally. It will just take a bit longer since we can't see how far back the break has happened.
It is worth keeping in mind that incisors are 4 cm (ca. 1 1/2 in) long as they run along the upper and lower jaws to roots that sit just in front of the back teeth roots. This length and tension they can be under makes them rather prone to breaking. Just because Edward has been unlucky at coming up to 7 years doesn't mean that you have any greater risk of having the same problem again in another piggy than anybody else.

Right now, all you can do is wait for the tooth to grow back. Please do NOT be tempted to give Ella extra feed; she is already overweight and could do with losing some.

PS: I had a below the gum line break twice with Hapus last year when she broke both incisors twice; but in both cases the deeper break grew back normally and she is still with me without any further tooth trouble, looking forward to her 7th birthday later this month.

Thank you everyone. It’s reassuring to hear of other piggies who have lost incisors and coped and eaten normally.

It’s also good to know that the likelihood of her getting a thickened incisor like Edward is very slim. I won’t give her extra feed.

Aw, I hope Harpus has a lovely 7th birthday @Wiebke and I’m glad she coped well with her broken teeth

Ruby was the same - I lost count of the number of broken incisors she had over the past few years.
Some were below the gum line (and several weren't) and they always grew back quickly and without major issues.

I’m stressing again 😞 Ella has lost around 30-40g since losing her tooth. Her poos are normal and healthy but she won’t let me look in her mouth to see her teeth but I assume she would have lost more weight than that if her tooth hadn’t grown back properly preventing her to eat and her poos wouldn’t be normal if she wasn’t eating?

Try not to worry too much 30-40g is normal weight variance. Stick to weekly weighing and as long as her weight doesn't continue to drop she will be fine.🙁

I’m stressing again 😞 Ella has lost around 30-40g since losing her tooth. Her poos are normal and healthy but she won’t let me look in her mouth to see her teeth but I assume she would have lost more weight than that if her tooth hadn’t grown back properly preventing her to eat and her poos wouldn’t be normal if she wasn’t eating?
Since it's been almost 3 weeks since she lost the tooth I don't think the weight loss is anything to worry about.
If the problem was the tooth then after so long there would be a lot more than 30-40g which is actually totally normal fluctuation in a healthy piggy.

I’ve just managed to check her mouth. She’s lost 20g overnight taken her down to 50-60g weight loss 😞 The tooth hasn’t grown back and the top two teeth are slanted inwards. Is this normal? I’m very worried x

Did you weigh her at the same time today and yesterday?
If you are at all concerned Claire then maybe make a vets appointment to have them check her over?

But you could also step in with syringe feeding and start feeding her strips of veggies, and wait a day or two and see how things go.
If she seems well overall it probably isn't an emergency.

Did you weigh her at the same time today and yesterday?
If you are at all concerned Claire then maybe make a vets appointment to have them check her over?

But you could also step in with syringe feeding and start feeding her strips of veggies, and wait a day or two and see how things go.
If she seems well overall it probably isn't an emergency.
She was 1128g yesterday morning and 1108g this morning 😞 I’ve seen her eat her veggies and pellets

I have booked her an appointment with the vet on Monday as I’m there anyway as they’re having their nails cut and they can fit her in with the vet after seeing the nurse

I just don’t understand why her tooth hasn’t grown back as it’s been 3 weeks now. I’m worried about her top teeth being uneven

I weighed Ella this morning and she had lost another 8g overnight 😞 but she’s now 35g up from this morning so has at least been eating throughout the day.

I offered her a bowl of mushed pellets but she turned her nose up and went for the normal pellets instead

I said I wasn’t going to do it again after my erratic behaviour over Edward and poor Wiebke took him early but I’m just so stressed out 😞 I have a lot going on right now and don’t cope well under stress

Just seen the vet with Ella. He said that everything is ok and he isn’t worried about her weight loss at this stage and just to keep chopping her veg up small in to matchsticks. Her tooth should grow back. She may need her top tooth burring if it grows too long but he said that’s just a quick dental. Got to take her back in 4 weeks just to so he can check her top tooth isn’t growing too long. She has a small dose of metacam just incase her tooth is a little sore as it grows. They’ve also all had their nails cut

I’m sorry you are so stressed @Claire W . I don’t have any advice really as you’ve already been to the vets. Sending you a hug.

Ella has seen the vet this morning and her tooth is growing back slowly but surely. It broke vertically below the gum line and I have no idea how it happened. He wants to see her again in 4 weeks to make sure everything is going in the right direction but I won’t be happy until it’s back completely 😞

It’s good it’s growing back. She’ll be right as rain before you know it. 😁

Once it’s grown out it should be fine, will she have a few porridge oats to support her weight

Back