Chester

Poor Chester 😔 I thought my Doug was a bit heavy but he's 10.2kg and the vet was happy with that when we went for vaccines, he is very solid, the puppy however has a long way to go to catch up, she was just a little under 5kg at her weigh in.

Poor Chester 😔 I thought my Doug was a bit heavy but he's 10.2kg and the vet was happy with that when we went for vaccines, he is very solid, the puppy however has a long way to go to catch up, she was just a little under 5kg at her weigh in.
Puppy? Pictures please 🙏

And pictures of chunky Doug too.

Last edited:
Hello handsome Doug. He definitely doesn’t look too chunky in that photo.

OMG Pepper 😍😍😍. Chester says Hello 😘

She’s beautiful. Where did she come from? Does Doug like her?
Pepper came from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales. I looked at a different pup locally but everything about it was wrong 😞 so looked again and we found some in Essex but they didn't come back to me, then I found Peppers litter, husband was happy to drive that distance and everything about them was right, there were other dogs around, other animals and the man was lovely, she was the last pup left. As to wether Doug likes her.... We're working on that, our initial meeting did not go well, but in hindsight that was our mistake, we built it up and things were ok but unfortunately she pushed her luck and bothered him too much which resulted in a severe telling off for her and him forgetting himself and pinning her quite firmly and her biting him. We were already working with a dog trainer at puppy classes so with her advice we are currently building slowly, I don't think he dislikes her, we feel he was actually scared of her as she was little and very busy!
So a calm approach and boundaries set by us things are good, he looks at her as she zooms around the garden as if to say "what is she doing?" But doesn't bother with her. He is happy to be in the same room as her as long as she isn't harassing him!
I did doubt myself and think we had made a massive mistake but actually now I think it will be ok, they don't have to be best mates but they do have to live together and at the moment it is seemingly possible. As the trainer said we didn't get her for Doug, we got her for us. She is a bit of a mummy's girl and loves a snuggle 🥰

They are crazy as pups. Hopefully she will calm down and respect Doug’s boundaries. 🤞🏻

Lovely, cuddly mummy’s girl 😍

Chester is really cuddly too. If I sit down he will sit by me. He sleeps on the bed (how did that happen 🙄) and has to sleep touching me too. And he loves going under the covers. But not recently as it’s too hot for him. My sister has just got two puppies and it’s not going too well. They have an older dog too. They are regretting it. But like you say it should calm down with some training.

My mom had a yellow lab that stayed in her house till the day she died. She was super naughty, knew all the tricks but wouldn't do them unless you had a treat in your hand.

My nephew was particularly attached to that dog.

My mom was on hospice and when she died the aunt of the owner of the home health agency took CC. She now has a river in her backyard and 3 other dogs to play with, although she never much cared to play with other dogs, she was a people dog.

I couldn't take her because my cat is too sensitive. But she was a good dog. She's 9 now.

My mom had a yellow lab that stayed in her house till the day she died. She was super naughty, knew all the tricks but wouldn't do them unless you had a treat in your hand.

My nephew was particularly attached to that dog.

My mom was on hospice and when she died the aunt of the owner of the home health agency took CC. She now has a river in her backyard and 3 other dogs to play with, although she never much cared to play with other dogs, she was a people dog.

I couldn't take her because my cat is too sensitive. But she was a good dog. She's 9 now.
I’m so pleased CC was able to go to a good home with friends. Even if she’s not that bothered I’m sure she’s happier with other dogs around. I’m so sorry you lost your mum ❤️

For a while my mom would bring CC to my house for yard work. She had to stop bringing her because she was having such a good time we couldn't get her back in the car! She would not budge and she was too heavy to lift. Even for fresh cooked chicken, her favorite, she would not get in that car.

They are crazy as pups. Hopefully she will calm down and respect Doug’s boundaries. 🤞🏻

Lovely, cuddly mummy’s girl 😍

Chester is really cuddly too. If I sit down he will sit by me. He sleeps on the bed (how did that happen 🙄) and has to sleep touching me too. And he loves going under the covers. But not recently as it’s too hot for him. My sister has just got two puppies and it’s not going too well. They have an older dog too. They are regretting it. But like you say it should calm down with some training.
I really thought I'd made a huge mistake but she'd already found her place in my heart so we will make it work, we are teaching her to leave him if she gets too close but actually he's just giving a gentle grumble now or ignoring her, I think in time as she grows and calms it will settle. Our trainer said that it can take up to 12wks for the first dog to accept the new one.
Doug still loves to be with my husband more than me so actually it works quite well, he does also, like Chester, like to sleep touching one of us, so when we are sat on the sofa/chairs/husband working at desk, he often has to be touching a foot! We however do not allow them upstairs but they are allowed a lap on the sofa in the evening. It appears I am getting soft in my old age as they never used to be allowed on the furniture, although everyone else in the house tells me that a lap is not a dog on the furniture! 🤔

Get softer. lol.

I’m sure it will all sort itself out with time and gentle training.

For a while my mom would bring CC to my house for yard work. She had to stop bringing her because she was having such a good time we couldn't get her back in the car! She would not budge and she was too heavy to lift. Even for fresh cooked chicken, her favorite, she would not get in that car.
They can be stubborn sometimes. I’m surprised the chicken didn’t work though.

Chester had his 6 monthly check up at the vets today. His weight is 9.6kg so that’s a 500g loss. Hurrah. She did say he could do with losing a bit more though.

Also 6 months ago the vet said he had plaque building up on his teeth and advised using plaque off. You sprinkle it on his food. Well today she said it seems to be working. There wasn’t any plaque! I was skeptical at first. But hey it seems to be working. 👍🏻

IMG_6848.webp

Back