Boxes into Bags

Customer service from Box Full Of Hay was good. Polite, replied quickly and offered a replacement or refund :tu:

Has anyone messaged Hay Box/Bag about how chopped up the hay is now and received a response?

Tbf I've not given Hay Box the opportunity to respond to my complaints by not making them - it comes from a childish place of "well they don't want to talk to me so I'm not going to talk to them" 😂

But also, they haven't given me any information about their changes upfront so that I can make a decision about whether I want to continue using their services, so do they actually hold my opinions in high enough regard that they'd want to hear my gripes?

It makes me feel like they think I'm an idiot. True or not, it's not a feeling I'm after as a customer.

Tbf I've not given Hay Box the opportunity to respond to my complaints by not making them - it comes from a childish place of "well they don't want to talk to me so I'm not going to talk to them" 😂

But also, they haven't given me any information about their changes upfront so that I can make a decision about whether I want to continue using their services, so do they actually hold my opinions in high enough regard that they'd want to hear my gripes?

It makes me feel like they think I'm an idiot. True or not, it's not a feeling I'm after as a customer.
I’m feeling the same. Not valued as a customer. Our second 5kg box of meadow hay has lasted 4 days :( once all the unusable chopped pieces and dust was removed. First box did 6 days :( It’s got no volume to it, just falls flat and doesn’t fluff up at all.

The only time I've ever had an issue with a Happy Hay delivery is when I got sent oat instead of orchard at one point, and I had a replacement box of orchard delivered to me by the following day, no extra charge. All I had to do was take a photo of the hay in the box. And thankfully the goblins like the oat. Don't get me wrong the hay turns up packaged in mini bales and it can be an absolute pain in the bum trying to separate the hay at first, but it's not dusty and it's all long strands. 5kg in 4 days is no time at all, there's no way that's sustainable.

Happy Hay seem like a really nice company but my two didn’t like the meadow or Timothy hay from them sadly.

Does anyone use hay and straw and know whether they still send in those big plastic bags?

Customer service from Box Full Of Hay was good. Polite, replied quickly and offered a replacement or refund :tu:

Has anyone messaged Hay Box/Bag about how chopped up the hay is now and received a response?
Still waiting for a response - over a week. Having decompressed the hay into an old box, it’s not so bad. Shorter yes, but piggies seem to be ok with it 😂 I also ordered some Timothy from another company and it’s less green and also short. I guess we’re just seeing the consequences of the weather 😢

Still waiting for a response - over a week. Having decompressed the hay into an old box, it’s not so bad. Shorter yes, but piggies seem to be ok with it 😂 I also ordered some Timothy from another company and it’s less green and also short. I guess we’re just seeing the consequences of the weather 😢
Hay is such a nightmare!

Thanks. Looks like they do. Used to use them but they turned up damaged so many times. It was the delivery through the main Manchester depot. Long story but they started damaging them on purpose when I complained.

I can well believe it. I had to stop using DPD for some time because the shenanigans in the Middleton depot were getting beyond the pale. I don't know if there's been a personnel/management change or not but they've been much better recently.

I can well believe it. I had to stop using DPD for some time because the shenanigans in the Middleton depot were getting beyond the pale. I don't know if there's been a personnel/management change or not but they've been much better recently.
The highlight was they cut the top off the bag, made a handle from brown tape then left it outside our house in the rain. They thought it was hilarious. The lady from hay and straw was so nice trying to sort it for us. I would have liked to continue to buy from her.

And unfortunately the attitude is that complaints do nothing to deter them. Complain to CS all you want, but CS isn't the depot and the depot doesn't care one bit. It's why I think there's been a personnel or management change for DPD's Middleton depot, because nothing addresses that behaviour unless it's not tolerated at all.

And unfortunately the attitude is that complaints do nothing to deter them. Complain to CS all you want, but CS isn't the depot and the depot doesn't care one bit. It's why I think there's been a personnel or management change for DPD's Middleton depot, because nothing addresses that behaviour unless it's not tolerated at all.
I use happy hay.
Have you tried their orchard hay? That is what I get from them and all four of my piggies and both my bunnies absolutely love it
I use happy hay.
Have you tried their orchard hay? That is what I get from them and all four of my piggies and both my bunnies absolutely love it
Think I just messed up the reply to this lol but no, haven’t tried that. Will add it to the list!

The goblins also love the orchard hay, it's probably the softest hay I've known them to adore.

Yes, Hay & Straw do send their hay in big plastic bags which are very useful when the hay has been decanted into boxes.

They are very efficient too.
I ordered hay to see us over Christmas on Tuesday - it arrived today.
They don’t charge postage either for mainland UK deliveries.

I use happy hay.
I have ordered a few trial size bags and happy hay Timothy blend is closest to the Haybox Timothy blend, almost indistinguishable between the two. They can't make nests in short hay! But some trial bags were full of very brown hay that went straight in the bin, so I'm glad I ordered the small batches.

A full 5kg box from happy hay company should arrive tomorrow.

I wonder how long it will take HayBox to realise they've made a mistake in the changes and how they have been managed?

If no lessons were learned from the delivery charges, it's unlikely lessons will be learned from this either.

I was going to comment the same. The only thing I can think of is that there were too many people like me who didn't vote with their feet.

At the end of the day, there's nobody has to switch. If the change in deliveries and packaging is working out well for people, they're not going to swap. Short of nobody buying from them ever again the only real rate you'll see "positive" (for the rest of us, anyway) is slowly, if at all. We're lucky that there's a good number of places out there for us to buy our hay in person or online, so nobody's tied to one particular company if that company's not working out for them. It won't stop there being even more people still waiting to buy from them, though.

I'm rather wishing there was a comparison site for hay suppliers in the same way as there is one for dog food. I've been trying to take note of the various ones recommended by people and what they say about them , but I keep losing where I saw the comment.

I'm not normally extra fussy about the guineas' food, but with the two 9 year olds remaining from the oldest trio, I'd really like to get them to double figures and I'm annoyed about having to mess about with their food!

I've also managed to build an entire path through the mud in the garden with inedible hay - grrr!

Very pleased that our 3rd box of the 3 ordered was actually fine. Really hope the two that only did 6 days and 4 days were a one off!

By contrast to HayBag, Small Pet Select sent us a free small box of hay as a thank you. Think they did the same last year.

I notice that HayBag don’t send any email updates to customers. The Happy Hay company do and Small Pet Select do. The Friendly Farmers sent a Christmas email saying thanks for your custom etc. It’s those little touches that make a difference. The Friendly Farmers meadow hay was so lovely but it had quite a few of those sharp spiky sticks in it (does anyone know what they are?) and we were nervous using it incase we hadn’t removed them all/little pieces were left. They do a bale in a box which was great so it’s a shame.

I’ve sinned and ordered double the amount of HayBag hay just incase to make sure we have enough until after new year then we’ll reassess.

If anyone is looking for timothy hay then I’d recommend Small Pet Select. We’ve bought the 2nd cut timothy for ages now and it’s pretty much exactly the same every time.

I'm rather wishing there was a comparison site for hay suppliers in the same way as there is one for dog food. I've been trying to take note of the various ones recommended by people and what they say about them , but I keep losing where I saw the comment.

I'm not normally extra fussy about the guineas' food, but with the two 9 year olds remaining from the oldest trio, I'd really like to get them to double figures and I'm annoyed about having to mess about with their food!

I've also managed to build an entire path through the mud in the garden with inedible hay - grrr!

The list in the UK suppliers section of the hay guide was only updated recently and it's got most of the ones that have been recommended before on the forum (yes that includes Haybox, but people do get usable hay from there even if it's not the quality it might once have been).

Back