Boxes into Bags

I'm going to try decanting it this afternoon, see if that helps. I'm sure the hay piles are much denser than they were; we're getting more wastage on the same size pile. Perhaps giving it the opportunity to spread out will help?

I just received it. Driver can't be bothered knocking or ringing the doorbell. It's raining and the box was just left outside. Good thing we have a ring doorbell. It gave me a notification that parcel was at the door. Here are some photos of the parcel. I decanted the hay to my 2.5kg box that still got hay. Looks like I'll be keeping this box forever! 😂 Storage of this will be better for me though since I don't have much storage space for big boxes.

Hay looks okay. Yeah it is cut a bit smaller but as long as my piggies are eating it then they are good. The last box I have had bad hay, like burnt and very dry dark hay, and my piggies didn't eat it. I sent them a message about it the other day and I got no response from it so will be ringing them today to complain.

20231205_131023.jpg20231205_131008.jpg20231205_131632.jpg
20231205_133248.webp20231205_133254.webp

Last edited:
Haybox's customer service is really flipping useless. I complained about th3 burnt smell and very dark and dry meadow hay from my last order. He was saying that it looks green on the photos I've sent to them. I told them yeah it looks green and brown in the photos and my complaint was about the burnt smell and the black dusts that came with it inside. I even showed photos of the hay clumped up with dark dusts. I repeatedly told him my piggies won't even touched it. He just told me since it's more that 14 days, they couldn't replace or refund me. It's so annoying and not even any consideration for long time subscribers! 😑👎👎

I'm so torn in changing companies to buy from because my piggies do love their hay and most of the ones I see don't sell meadow hay. I have to think by next year if I can find somewhere else to get meadow hay. 😩

It's so annoying and not even any consideration for long time subscribers! 😑👎👎
I'm surprised they aren't treating subscribers better after so many of us left them. I found the quality of the hay and service kept getting worse.
My boars love Natures Own meadow hay.

Bags would annoy me, too. Yes, they'd probably be easier to stack up and store than a box but they're also much messier, especially if you're decanting a bag into a box every so often. And you need to because who's gonna use a whole bag up at once?

Their wording suggests it's because you would only have one bag open at once, rather than an entire box.

I'm surprised they aren't treating subscribers better after so many of us left them. I found the quality of the hay and service kept getting worse.
My boars love Natures Own meadow hay.
Is this the one you are saying? I would have to try this before the hay I have runs out. It is a lot cheaper (apart from delivery).

Screenshot_20231205_145102_Chrome.webp

How will being in plastic keep it fresher?
It's air tight? Although air tight hay sweats especially if left in the sun. I had to throw a bag away once when it had been left by the window in the shed and went mouldy from sweat.

Is this the one you are saying? I would have to try this before the hay I have runs out. It is a lot cheaper (apart from delivery).

View attachment 236992
That's the one, they do a green one as well. I buy 5 bags at a time to get the free postage, they also do nice pea flakes and other bits and pieces I get sometimes.

Exactly, hay sweats in plastic!

All they had to do was upgrade the packing tape. So the price increases have been us paying towards a new packing system which no-one seems happy with. Great.

They’re definitely not as much in each box these last couple of deliveries.

Feeling annoyed but they win because I can’t find any other meadow hay soft enough for the main bedding.

View attachment 236992
I buy the Sweet Green Hay which the piggies love but it is very soft and I know that Lorcan's goblins like the stalky hay. I could send a sample over for you to try.

All the hay comes in compostable wrapping which can go in with your food or garden waste.

The thing about recyclable plastic is that it is almost as bad as non-recyclable plastic because they are still making more. Recyclable plastic, though better than non recyclable plastic, is only really good when it is also recycled (as in the product is made of plastic that has been recycled).
:agr: The other problem with recyclable plastic is, just how much actually gets recycled? After seeing TV programmes showing massive piles of soft plastic waste including uk supermarkets' carrier bags, I wonder if a lot of it just ends up shipped abroad and dumped :td:

Could Haybox be using bags for "seasonal" reasons maybe? In this horrible wet weather we're having this year, hay in boxes could start to go mouldy quicker - especially if left on damp doorsteps by (lazy) drivers, like @anyar.dris had?

Our council won't take compostable or recyclable bags they have to go in the general waste. I compost compostable ones myself, they do take a couple of years to break down. Recyclable bags get used for other things until they fall apart but they aren't often really recyclable.

The last box of soft Timothy hay from hay box is soooo brown. Not happy and neither are the boys. I’m using it anyway as bedding hay but it’s too expensive to keep doing that. But it’s a natural product so don’t feel I can complain. 😕
The last box I had of soft Timothy from Timothy hay.co.uk just under 2 weeks ago is lovely and green and it was sent in a box.They used to deliver it in a bag at one point so good they're now using boxes.Its £23 for a 8.5kg box with free delivery and usually turns up a couple of days after you've ordered it.

I’m still waiting for confirmation of dispatch from Haybox. If it then comes via Yodel who knows when it will arrive?DPD were at least reliable and easy to track. Good job I’ve still got a bit in reserve,

:agr: The other problem with recyclable plastic is, just how much actually gets recycled? After seeing TV programmes showing massive piles of soft plastic waste including uk supermarkets' carrier bags, I wonder if a lot of it just ends up shipped abroad and dumped :td:

Could Haybox be using bags for "seasonal" reasons maybe? In this horrible wet weather we're having this year, hay in boxes could start to go mouldy quicker - especially if left on damp doorsteps by (lazy) drivers, like @anyar.dris had?
Maybe that is why they’re doing it. The trouble is, nobody knows unless they actually say something!

I’m still waiting for confirmation of dispatch from Haybox. If it then comes via Yodel who knows when it will arrive?DPD were at least reliable and easy to track. Good job I’ve still got a bit in reserve,
My Happy Hay Co order last November arrived in January, that was DPD! I hope you have better luck.

DPD were utterly useless last Christmas though. Well. For most of that 3-4 month winter period. They've been behaving themselves a little better this time around, maybe the lack of Royal Mail strikes is helping.

DPD were utterly useless last Christmas though. Well. For most of that 3-4 month winter period. They've been behaving themselves a little better this time around, maybe the lack of Royal Mail strikes is helping.
We have problems with all the delivery firms here. Royal Mail are so short of postmen we are lucky if we get post once a week.

Deliveries are getting better to this address, although I don't know if that's because everyone involved has been, ahem, politely told at least once to get the finger out. Which is why Sunday deliveries from Royal Mail get pushed through the letterbox before whoever's doing the delivery sprints off down the street before I can react. It never gets less hilarious. DPD are actually turning up at my door every time they're meant to, the post usually is now too, even Amazon haven't been too bad. Well, except for that one time a few weeks ago when they asked if there were additional delivery details I could give them and I'm like, you have written instructions, map pins, and images of the precise places you have to walk to be able to get to my address. What more is it you think I can give you over the phone?

It's shocking, honestly, but when you pay someone minimum wage and penalise them for tiny infractions like needing to take an extra minute to find an address? This is what happens. And it'd be worth it if the hay turned up in suitable packaging and suitable for feeding, but then this thread wouldn't have to happen. On that front, Hay Box hasn't got much of an excuse at all.

IMG_3382.webp

The hay at the top is haybox Timothy blend. Nice and green.

The one at the bottom is haybox soft cut Timothy. Well it is soft but you can see how brown it is. Hopefully my next batch will be better. I don’t mind box or bag as long as the quality is still good.

I’ve changed my mind about plastic because look how my Box Full Of Hay delivery came today!

2D021007-078A-47C7-A5CD-9CDDC14B94D6.jpeg

Dpd put it into another box to hide the original!

Attachments

• 35D01B55-776A-44F3-89A6-57A92B0B23C2.webp
    35D01B55-776A-44F3-89A6-57A92B0B23C2.webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 1
Haybox's customer service is really flipping useless. I complained about th3 burnt smell and very dark and dry meadow hay from my last order. He was saying that it looks green on the photos I've sent to them. I told them yeah it looks green and brown in the photos and my complaint was about the burnt smell and the black dusts that came with it inside. I even showed photos of the hay clumped up with dark dusts. I repeatedly told him my piggies won't even touched it. He just told me since it's more that 14 days, they couldn't replace or refund me. It's so annoying and not even any consideration for long time subscribers! 😑👎👎

I'm so torn in changing companies to buy from because my piggies do love their hay and most of the ones I see don't sell meadow hay. I have to think by next year if I can find somewhere else to get meadow hay. 😩
Hay & Straw Company sell meadow hay.
Mine loved the last lot they had and I’ve just ordered more.
Last time I ordered the hay arrived within a few days.

So glad it's not just me who has been having some issues with haybox recently! I'm very unimpressed with the new packaging. Got 3x5kg bags last week and finding them to be a nightmare. The timothy blend hay is much more short cut (and a tad dustier) and both the hay and now the pigs are irritating my skin! Been using them for over a year now and never had this issue before. I found the loose hay in boxes much easier to scoop and give to the pigs, and am quite annoyed about the lack of communication regarding the change. The plastic is useless for recycling here too. At least the pigs seem as happy as usual. Time to start looking for a new hay supplier I think and hope the fussy pigs will give it a go!

I would pretty much echo what StardustEcho says - unexpectedly received the new compressed bags at the weekend (50/50 Timothy Blend and Meadow Hay) - normally Timothy Hay trumps everything else for my 3 but it's been five days now and they are just not interested in it - can't say I blame them it just isn't right - no structure or bulk, colour and smell are missing. Apparently a flatened grass head just doesn't do it for them! Never had a problem before and I found the boxes easy to store/recycle and could fill up their hay mangers without it all going everywhere and the hay never seemed to deteriorate. Thankfully they are eating the Meadow Hay, although it doesn't look as good as before. Looks like I need to pay a visit to a shop and look for a new supplier.

Back