Boxes into Bags

Has anyone recently tried the hay box hay since it turned into hay bag hay?
I’ve not but a friend has, it was compressed and in a much smaller box. She was unimpressed as doesn’t like compressed hay and now they are using a plastic bag which isn’t great for the environment!

Is this Haybox.club? I'm up for a delivery next week and there's nothing in their website saying a change of packaging.

Seems to be their favourite pastime, changing things and letting their customers be the last to know! It is also difficult when a box suddenly weighs twice as much as I expected!

Sadly I think I have also been unlucky in that for the first time one lot of hay was really bad, barely even "bullock hay". That's three different hay "brands" I've bought over the last month, and none of them were good. Time for a rethink on my feeding plans again!

:agr:I’ve just received 2 bags of Haybox Timothy Blend having ordered 5kg expecting a box. I don’t mind bags vs boxes apart from finding it hard to get out of the bag without it exploding across the room but I do mind that it was short cut not long cut. It’s the first time their Timothy has been short cut - I did write to ask why but no response yet. I think weather conditions have really affected hay this year - I mix brands and they’ve all been quite brown. But my piggies are missing their long cut hay 😢

I've had one. I hate compressed hay and plastic bags but it is easier to store, I guess. The hay is incredibly hard to get out though as it's SO compressed, and it's definitely shorter. Takes ages and hurts my fingers. Still tastes alright though, apparently!

Hay & Straw Company sent me an order of hay recently with some lovely long cut hay.
I switched to their hay after HayBox increased postage.
Their delivery is free.
The downside is it’s compressed in bags but I just decant it into old HayBox boxes.
My 2 love the Meadow Hay and the Timothy & Rye particularly.

So is it 2.5kg bags they are sending now? My subscription is for 15kg box and a 2.5 kg box. Looks like I might be getting loads of bags if that's the case! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

So is it 2.5kg bags they are sending now? My subscription is for 15kg box and a 2.5 kg box. Looks like I might be getting loads of bags if that's the case! :yikes::yikes::yikes:
I ordered 5kg of Timothy Blend and 5kg of Orchard. The Timothy came in 2 x 2.5kg compressed bags in a smaller box. The 5kg Orchard came loose in a larger box.

The last box of soft Timothy hay from hay box is soooo brown. Not happy and neither are the boys. I’m using it anyway as bedding hay but it’s too expensive to keep doing that. But it’s a natural product so don’t feel I can complain. 😕

I seem to have totally missed something here. Did they announce this? I can’t find anything about it on their website?
Personally, the whole reason I buy from haybox is because of the environmentally friendly packaging, so if they’ve moved to plastic that entirely defeats the purpose!

I seem to have totally missed something here. Did they announce this? I can’t find anything about it on their website?
Personally, the whole reason I buy from haybox is because of the environmentally friendly packaging, so if they’ve moved to plastic that entirely defeats the purpose!

It really does…..unless the plastic packaging is compostable?
I’m not surprised there hasn’t been an announcement. The whole reason I stopped using haybox is because of changes like this. They had changed the free delivery threshold but failed to tell anybody that the new charges would affect them if they made any changes to an existing subscription. I added a new product only to find I was then charged delivery because my order value wasn’t enough to qualify for free delivery anymore. I immediately cancelled my subscription and went to Happy Hay Co.

I’m not surprised there hasn’t been an announcement. The whole reason I stopped using haybox is because of changes like this. They had changed the free delivery threshold but failed to tell anybody that the new charges would affect them if they made any changes to an existing subscription. I added a new product only to find I was then charged delivery because my order value wasn’t enough to qualify for free delivery anymore. I immediately cancelled my subscription and went to Happy Hay Co.
Oh no. This is so disappointing to hear. Luckily, I have just received three to four months worth of hay from them so should be alright for the time it takes me to find a new company.

I've tried several company's for Timothy since we gave up Hay Box but 'we' aren't really happy with any. They liked Hay & Straw the first time so I doubled the size of the order and they are turning their noses up (typical). I'm composting more than they are eating. They eat the Natures Own Meadow well and at least the bags are compostable non plastic. It's easier for me to store the bags too so I'm thinking I will give up on timothy for now and just feed the meadow. The Hay is compressed but I slide it out of the bag into a box and once I've pulled out the first couple of handfuls it loosens up okay.

Bags are ‘100% recyclable‘. Looks better once decompressed from the bag into an old box!

Bags are ‘100% recyclable‘. Looks better once decompressed from the bag into an old box!

Recyclable bags are weird. Unless they can go in the brown bin or your local equivalent, you have to find somewhere that specifically recycles that plastic and that's a pain in the backside. I keep having this problem with some of Tesco's "recyclable" plastic. There's nowhere local for me to put it so it just gets tossed out anyway.

I'm not sure about the new packaging, the plastic bags are recyclable but not compostable like the ones from Nature's Own. I didn't keep one of the old boxes so can't decant it and don't really like it compacted. It looks to be much shorter pieces of hay and I seem to be using more of it too. Maybe time for me to try Hay and Straw UK.

It looks to be much shorter pieces of hay and I seem to be using more of it too.

I'm glad someone else said this, I thought I was going mad! Still might be, not a lot of sleep this week :)) Maybe it's just because what is left is much more compact but it really feels like this isn't going to last as long, we're a really long way through our first bag already and it's not even been a week...

It’s slightly better that it’s in recyclable packaging, though I’m not sure that they aren’t doing something illegal by saying you are buying something on their website when that isn’t actually what you get.

The thing about recyclable plastic is that it is almost as bad as non-recyclable plastic because they are still making more. Recyclable plastic, though better than non recyclable plastic, is only really good when it is also recycled (as in the product is made of plastic that has been recycled).

I had an email today that my Haybox order has been dispatched. They are not using DPD for delivery. They are using Whistl.
Okay, looks like my order is going to be delivered by Yodel. I just received now an email about them receiving my parcel and on its journey. Hopefully I'll receive it tomorrow. I'm already dreading how much bags I'm going to receive. :eek:

The orchard hay came loose in a box so not sure whether they are gradually switching. Agree about the plastic but one good thing is that the bagged Timothy hay hadn’t exploded out of the box in transit - I find one strip of tape to be a bit flimsy for courier handling 😬

Okay, looks like my order is going to be delivered by Yodel. I just received now an email about them receiving my parcel and on its journey. Hopefully I'll receive it tomorrow. I'm already dreading how much bags I'm going to receive. :eek:
My delivery took a week from despatch. I was not impressed.

My delivery took a week from despatch. I was not impressed.
According to the tracking, my parcel is in my local delivery depot. If it doesn't arrive today, I would have to reschedule delivery for Thursday coz we'll be out tomorrow for the day.

Back