*ZzZz* A thread for sleepy piggies.

@LunaticPoodle AAAHHH so gorgeous, all so happy and chilled. And a soft warm sleepy Squirrel all curled up in your hands that's amazing! He must have been so grateful to you for helping him ❤️

@LunaticPoodle AAAHHH so gorgeous, all so happy and chilled.
Aww thanks, it's always lovely to see them like this, I could watch them for hours... The white one (Surma) and the lilac (Tony 🌈) had been here for a week only at the time the pictures were taken, and it made me so happy to see them so relaxed. The baby squirrel used to sleep in my bra most of the time 'cause he couldn't thermoregulate yet, we had him 3 days while looking for a wildlife rehabilitator who could take him in. It was surreal!
Unfortunately I don't have decent pictures of Rutto sleeping cos he's so dark that my phone camera can't really process him, but he's a giant fluffy croissant.

I apologize for this deviation from the thread, but I'd like to share with you the few pictures I have of the baby squirrel. The cuteness is unbearable!
20220625_133953.webp20220623_170305.webp20220623_230220.webp20220624_083907.webp20220625_112410.webp20220625_112547.webp
He had been likely attacked by a bird who nearly bit his tail off, and dropped. It's a miracle he had no broken bones or brain damage, he hit his mouth a bit but he had no teeth to break yet, so lucky. He'd been out in the cold for a while, as he was skinny and dehydrated so mom had been likely snatched too. It was a major holiday (Midsummer's Eve) so no vets or wildlife carers were available. The ER said they'd likely put him to sleep as they weren't equipped or even allowed to care for wild animals, so I took him home and with the help of the internet got him through the worst, and my saint of a husband cared for home, piggies, and used social media to find a wildlife rehabilitator who could take the baby boy. Three days later a lovely lady with tons of experience contacted us and we drove him to her place, where she raised him and other rescued squirrels and got them back to nature.
It was an incredible experience, and the little guy really stole my heart. He slept in my bra, practiced climbing on my arm (wobbly because of his injured tail, but dedicated), and was just the sweetest thing. It was hard to give him up, but we live in an apartment in the city centre, and have zero experience in caring for baby squirrels... And he belongs in the forest. He must have his own family by now, I really hope he's ok.

@LunaticPoodle what a privilege to look after a gorgeous baby red squirrel and keep him alive long enough to be rehabilitated.
Indeed, it was one of the most amazing experiences in my life. I got really lucky, the first day I wasn't even sure he'd make it. By day 2 he was obliterating that puppy milk! ❤️

Back