Winter Weather For Outdoor Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe in the USA. I kept piggies outside in the UK for 25 years, admittedly they were not on grass. None died from anything other than old age.
All of my piggies before these ones lived outdoors in hutches and went out on the grass nearly every day. Ditto what treacle said-mine never died from anything other than old age. As delicate as piggies are they're actually quite hardy little creatures!

All of my piggies before these ones lived outdoors in hutches and went out on the grass nearly every day. Ditto what treacle said-mine never died from anything other than old age. As delicate as piggies are they're actually quite hardy little creatures!
My boss keeps her piggies outside too, and she is involved in teaching animal care. I think if piggies start off outside, they are going to be fine. If they start off indoors, it could be a hard transition to put them outside permanently. Where people prefer to keep them depends on where they live in the world, taking into account weather conditions and wildlife factors.

My job share partner was telling me about her mother-in-laws guinea pigs recently. They arrived in the garden from a house further up the street and made a home under her shed. They were never claimed by the neighbour so they stayed living under the shed for years - all year around. The MIL would put out bits of blanket for them in the coldest weather which they dragged under the shed and the guineas started coming to the back door and wheeking for food. They were given odd bits of veg and slices of bread which they took back to their home but apart from that, grass and other plants in the garden were their main diet (and as this is the UK, I'm sure much of that grass would have been wet!).

I'm not suggesting this is a good idea obviously, but that's an example of 2 guineas living properly outdoors with minimal support from humans for a number of years apparently quite happily!

My job share partner was telling me about her mother-in-laws guinea pigs recently. They arrived in the garden from a house further up the street and made a home under her shed. They were never claimed by the neighbour so they stayed living under the shed for years - all year around. The MIL would put out bits of blanket for them in the coldest weather which they dragged under the shed and the guineas started coming to the back door and wheeking for food. They were given odd bits of veg and slices of bread which they took back to their home but apart from that, grass and other plants in the garden were their main diet (and as this is the UK, I'm sure much of that grass would have been wet!).

I'm not suggesting this is a good idea obviously, but that's an example of 2 guineas living properly outdoors with minimal support from humans for a number of years apparently quite happily!
My bosses piggies regularly escape, form the run, (Houdini piggies) but she has a fully inclosed orchard, so they are safe during the day! They are gathered up and put in the hutch at night

You don't say whether you are getting baby/very young piggies, if they are babies then it is best not to put them into an outdoor hutch at this time of the year. They are even more vulnerable to temperature changes than adults :)

They are 3 months old. I have put loads and loads of hay in their sleeping area, put the cover over the whole hut (which stops the draughts remarkably well!) and I am using a heat pad at night time. When I checked them this morning I was surprised how warm their sleeping area was! I think they are ok at the moment but the shed is ready for when it is needed.

I read this and another thread discussing cold weather care. A number of people keep their GPs in the garage or shed. I'm assuming this a location of minimal natural light and fresh air so not sure how it could be a healthy solution. We could use our (car-free) garage but the lack of light / air would be a concern.

I read this and another thread discussing cold weather care. A number of people keep their GPs in the garage or shed. I'm assuming this a location of minimal natural light and fresh air so not sure how it could be a healthy solution. We could use our (car-free) garage but the lack of light / air would be a concern.
There has been a discussion not that long ago about lack of light. I think the conclusion was they do really need to have some natural light each day @My3cuteBoys do you have the link to that thread at all? It was the one you started about your garage.

Hi, I've tagged you both in the thread as I'm pants at the linking threads to threads thing lol. My plan is to bring my boys into the garage at the end of October have the light on in there from 6ish in the morning until 9ish(am) then set up the run in the utility room for two of my boys and the 120 cage in another room for my other two boys (both rooms have a very good amount of natural light) I will then pop them back into their hutches in the garage at around 4 if I'm working that evening later if not, I will leave the light on again until 7/8pm and turn it off for the night :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back