• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why Is My Piggie Getting A Wet Butt All Of A Sudden?

I hope she feels better soon but :agr: a painkiller is usually prescribed as well.
Probiotics are also recommended to be given to piggies on antibiotics due to the fact antibiotics can sometimes affect their appetite. Make sure you continue with daily weight checks and syringe feeding

no I wasn't given a painkiller but she doesn't seem to be in pain when I use the cleanser around her bottom

:agr:

It’s very normal to be given a pain killer when a piggy has a UTI. Piggies can also hide their pain but pain can make them eat less - the 100g weight loss may well be due to some pain
Definitely speak to the vet about getting some metacam

And also, make sure you change bedding more frequently (several times a day) particularly under hides so her skin can heal and she is always dry

Glad you were able to see a vet and get a proper diagnosis.
Hopefully recovery will be quick now she has the meds.

Well done on getting her the antibiotics. They usually take 24-48 hours to take effect (although can take a little longer sometimes). We've had Baytril or Septrin in the past and my pigs have not had any ill effects. On one or two occasions when we've had them for over a week we've also bought in some probiotic to mix with the syringe food. We got Fibreplex off the internet somewhere but my vet just sells something over the counter called bio-lapis - neither of these need a prescription. It's just dried bacteria and yeast with a bit of flavour and sweetness as far as I can tell!

If we've had ulcerated bits we've bathed in warm water and lightly dabbed on some sudocreme (nappy barrier cream) and this has also been the approach to urine scald on the back feet from the pee dripping. But I'm guessing the antiseptic has to deal with the skin infection first...

Hopefully you'll be on the mend now - keep us updated 💕

Lucy is getting better from her UTI and skin infection swiftly, which I'm very glad about, but her weight isn't improving, and I'm really stuck on what to do. it's gone from 844g to 828g then to 833g in three days and I weighed her just out of curiosity a while ago today and she'd dropped 22g since the morning. I'm trying to keep up on syringe feeding, but only managing around 3-4 times a day and it's taking a while to get a ml down her, as she doesn't like the idea of me sticking a syringe in her mouth. Are there any easy ways to gain her weight back quickly, as I hate looking at the scales everyday and knowing she's not gaining her weight back. :(

Lucy is getting better from her UTI and skin infection swiftly, which I'm very glad about, but her weight isn't improving, and I'm really stuck on what to do. it's gone from 844g to 828g then to 833g in three days and I weighed her just out of curiosity a while ago today and she'd dropped 22g since the morning. I'm trying to keep up on syringe feeding, but only managing around 3-4 times a day and it's taking a while to get a ml down her, as she doesn't like the idea of me sticking a syringe in her mouth. Are there any easy ways to gain her weight back quickly, as I hate looking at the scales everyday and knowing she's not gaining her weight back. :(

When syringe feeding you are looking to stabilise the weight and prevent loss, not necessarily regain it. For now, you need to keep up with once daily weight checks and syringe feed enough to keep her stable.
Regaining lost weight post-illness takes quite some time longer, weeks not days, and will be done by independently eating enough hay. Piggies can lose weight rapidly but putting it back on is not as quick.
The fluctuation between 844, 828 and 833 is stable, and all within the 50g daily swings that will occur in any piggy. Any continual downward trend And you would need to up the amount you syringe feed
We don’t recommend weighing twice in one day because of the fluctuations - the more you weigh, the more swings you will see and it’s not helpful to pick those up.

Back