What Do You Use To Wash Fleece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone uses to wash their piggies fleece? If you use washing powder, what brand do you use? I've heard of people using white vinegar etc to wash the fleeces?

Hi I use non bio liquid detergent...
image.webp
Then I also add in some Oxi action stain removal powder just to make sure any germs are killed :)

I find white vinegar works well as a deodoriser . I put it in the fabric conditioner section of the washing machine.

To make sure all germs are killled, I wash most of my fleeces on 60 degree (celcius) wash and use an unscented brand - such as Surecare

For items that won't tolerate a 60 degree wash, I use

500ml Paragon Flea & Mite Laundry Detergent

I use Asda little angels sensitive non-bio powder. I wash at 40 degrees and once a month put white vinegar into the fabric conditioner section of the machine. I also put everything in a horse tack wash bag to avoid hairs getting into the machine.
Online Food Shopping - ASDA Groceries

@HansPiggies is persil non bio fragranced?

@PiggyOwner I usually wash at 60 degrees too but expecting some liners from ziggyspiggies in the next few days so not sure what temperature they can be washed on.

@Hank288 I also use little angels sensitive powder but although it's not a strong smell, it is slightly scented isn't it?

Ziggy's Piggies advise laundering at a lower temp wash than 60. I must admit, I have washed my Ziggy's fleeces at 60 and not noticed a problem.

@HansPiggies is persil non bio fragranced?

@PiggyOwner I usually wash at 60 degrees too but expecting some liners from ziggyspiggies in the next few days so not sure what temperature they can be washed on.

@Hank288 I also use little angels sensitive powder but although it's not a strong smell, it is slightly scented isn't it?

Under it's ingredients where it says less than 5% perfume is listed as one of the ingredients but I must admit I can never smell anything when it comes out, not like the stuff I use for my own washing which smells of detergent when it comes out the wash. I used to use a Wilkos one which was non bio and non fragranced but they stopped doing it and struggled to find something last time I went shopping. I've been using this for a about 3 months now and haven't had any problems so far...I only use a small amount and then use a big scoop of the oxi powder stuff

@Sian25 I just think personally it smells clean like generic washing powder, It smells the same as when I used persil powder and the same as the aldi wash powder.

Also I have been washing fleece at 40 degrees for the last few years with no problems, I used to do 60 degrees but find 40 degrees fine (but that's why I use the powder which kills 99.9% bacteria at 30 degrees)

Okay so if ziggy advises her liners etc to be washed at a lower temperature I need to find something antibacterial that won't harm my piggies

Also @HansPiggies where do you get the oxi from? I've just looked on both tesco and asda, neither of them have it
I get it from Homebargains for under £2
I don't want to say it's definitely safe for piggies but I wouldn't use it if I didn't think so...I have been using it for years and I've never had an ill piggy is all I can say

I started using it because this is what Piggiepigpigs who makes fleece items recommends to use image.webp
And I use the other stuff just because the Vanish is quite pricey

:D When washing my fleeces, I use the Co-ops own non-bio washing powder at 50% but even at that temperature, it does not get stains out. DO you find that the Oxi works well and removes stains properly?

i use the co-op own brand non-bio liquid or powder (it's cruelty free) with white vinegar in the fabric conditioner compartment :)

:D When washing my fleeces, I use the Co-ops own non-bio washing powder at 50% but even at that temperature, it does not get stains out. DO you find that the Oxi works well and removes stains properly?
Yeah I don't have any stains on mine :)

I'm gutted @HansPiggies, homebargains didn't have that oxi that you use. It did have oxi action but not anti bacterial. Although they did have the dettol laundry cleanser. Does anyone know if this is piggy safe?

i use napisan from wilkos,you get it in the baby isle,its non bio.safe to use for babiescosy cavies recommends using this or any oxi products on hr handmade fleeces.thanks eileen.

i have also used the dettol laundry cleanser in the softner compartment,my piggies have been ok.got it from b and m 1 pound and 50 pence cheaper than in supermarketsfor a 1.5 litre bottle.all stains come out,

I use whatever cheap non bio powder/liquid is on offer when I am shopping and white vinegar in the final rinse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back